VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most probably I will be relocating to Malaysia in a few months. I was hoping I could take my bike with me, but it seems importing in Malaysia is not easy and very expensive. Anybody here that can help me ? thanks a lot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
been looking for used victory there but couldn't find any ... the budget doesn't allow a new one unfortunately ... and I really love my vegas :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to bring it there would be easy, I will ship a container with my household and put it in, but to get it registered it would cost me about the price of a new one ... so I was hoping someone over there could know a better solution

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Most probably I will be relocating to Malaysia in a few months. I was hoping I could take my bike with me, but it seems importing in Malaysia is not easy and very expensive. Anybody here that can help me ? thanks a lot
I went to the victory & Indian shop in Kuala Lumpur, so surly you can find second hand victorys in Malaysia, even ex-stock if your lucky, please note they are expensive, so a second hand should be a bit more then a new victory in the USA , same for any motorcycles .

Malasian roads are AWSOME for motorcycles

Yes you can import bikes but that is a "grey" area of the law..... If you know what I mean.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to the victory & Indian shop in Kuala Lumpur, so surly you can find second hand victorys in Malaysia, even ex-stock if your lucky, please note they are expensive, so a second hand should be a bit more then a new victory in the USA , same for any motorcycles .

Malasian roads are AWSOME for motorcycles

Yes you can import bikes but that is a "grey" area of the law..... If you know what I mean.....
this is what I keep hearing, this gray area of the law ... There should be someone who knows how to register it there ? It's probably just a matter of knowing the right person right ?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
this is what I keep hearing, this gray area of the law ... There should be someone who knows how to register it there ? It's probably just a matter of knowing the right person right ?
I know a few who "imported" a few HD, so all the documents are exactly the same as my documents, .... But there "not" they just look the same to the common folks...

so I bought 2 original victory bikes in Indonesia , about 50k each .... It's a choice you have to make...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know a few who "imported" a few HD, so all the documents are exactly the same as my documents, .... But there "not" they just look the same to the common folks...

so I bought 2 original victory bikes in Indonesia , about 50k each .... It's a choice you have to make...
sorry don't understand this ... if you buy them in Indonesia you also have to import in Malaysia ?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Just check on the applicable driver license to operate one in that engine class as I heard that is how they operate from a former resident...
Make sure you bring your international driving licence , if there are no engine CC restrictions mentioned on your USA international driving licence then automatically you are allowed riding all bikes and CC In the country stated on that international license, ....

·
Registered
724 Posts
to bring it there would be easy, I will ship a container with my household and put it in, but to get it registered it would cost me about the price of a new one ... so I was hoping someone over there could know a better solution
Are you sure registration for a used vehicle costs that much? If I were you, I'd just ship the bike with the rest of your stuff and take care of the details once you get there. The locals will know best. I was in Kuala Lumpur for a month more than 30 years ago and I recall that the natives are sticklers for rules. Less so the Chinese (they ran commerce, the Malay ran the government). I remember postings at the airport warning drug smugglers of the death sentence. I would recommend not taking risks to save a few bucks.

As to riding, they had amazing twisties in the jungle area called Genting (sp?) Highland. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The plan is to work at Genting highlands, so I'll have to do those amazing twisties every day :)
I do need to be sure I can get it registered before I go (2 months from now) otherwise it would be such a waste.
Problem is also that I bought the bike here in Dubai second hand, so besides the registration card I have no ownership documents whatsoever ... Hopefully I can find someone there shortly who can help me out. Is gonna be totally different riding though, here we have rain about three days in a year, and there it looks like its daily business ... Looking forward to it though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Are you sure registration for a used vehicle costs that much?
Deleted stuff .

Yup, see below

Import duty Local taxes
Engine Capacity (cc) MFN Excise Duties
< 1,800 30% 75%
1,800 - 1,999 30% 80%
2,000 - 2,499 30% 90%
2 more row

So it is about 100 to 125% on the road tax, and neighboring countries are even much more TAX.... In Jakarta the vision was about 60 K USD on the road,

A second hand CCT '14 today it would sell for 35 K USD ....

You guys are so lucky with cheap vehicles.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.