VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the dust has settled and we have a grip on the direction of Victory, I thought I'd ask your opinion on the names of the two new bikes.

Let's go through the lineup:

Vegas
Jackpot
Hammer
Kingpin
Vision

And Now...

Cross Roads
Cross Country

They went from single names to double names for the new bikes (although Crossroads could be considered one word).

So, forget the bikes for a moment, what do YOU think of the new names? Does the name place a visual image in your brain of the bike it represents? Could it be that the new two-word names are the shape of things to come from the new On Road Division? After all, the golf cart is not called Breeze, it's The Breeze.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

Everyone is starting to call them....Cross Dresser Couple!
Or a couple of Cross Dressers....lol

·
Registered
73 Posts

My take, they're goofy! Cross-dresser will run rampant til they're scrapped! There are so many good advertising agencies out there that could have come up with great tie-in names that relate to what they already have in process. It seems as if they didn't even try! Focus groups, agencies, creative talent all at their disposal and they come up with Cross --------- ! Not much effort here and if there was, I would say it's misguided.
This is not the sort of creativity and thinking out of the box that will lead Victory to a clear leadership position over the competition. Branding is key to success, image is key to building desire and brand. Could have used "Snake-eyes" or"Gambler" or Queball, etc.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

I think the name Cross Country fits. It has everything needed to ride anywhere.
Increased fuel capacity and storage. Better brakes and cruise controlwould also be nice to have.
I also think the Cross Roads could be ridden anywhere but the name just doesn't make as much sense to me.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's some valid points in this thread.

Personally I'm not a fan of the names and, like others have stated, they could become fodder for the naysayers.

Also factor in H-D's Cross Bones and it looks like Victory is being a copy cat. (I know, that's a juvenile term).

What I could have seen is using the phrase "Cross Country" for touring versions of other bikes in the lineup. For example:

The Kingpin Cross Country Version

The Vision Cross Country Version

Get the picture?

These versions could be delivered fully equipped and optimized for touring. It would follow the theme of 8-Ball being the base models and Cross Country being the touring bikes. This way, they could take the existing models and with the "dressing," create a larger line of bikes.

Also, for whatever reason, when I think of "Cross Country," the image of a fake wood panel 1950's era (or is it from the 60's?) station wagon comes to mind...such as this Nash Rambler:

]

Or, something like this:

Or, Fast-Forward to today and there's Volvo's XC70 (Cross Country):

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I personally see nothing wrong with the names. A little different from what we may be used to BUT the use of "Roads" and "Country" are really no different than HD's use of "Road" and "Street".

These are new bikes, a new family within the Vic family, the "Cross" family. To me no different than the variations in the Vision "family" (and I think they chose the name Vision because of it's radical design departure) Street, Tour and Comfort. Kingpin's Tour and plain old Kingpin. Then look at the use of the word Premium versus HD using Ultra..simply indicating top of the respective product line.

My dad used to have a 53 Merc wood wagon...vapor lock whore of a car...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Andy said:
There's some valid points in this thread.

Personally I'm not a fan of the names and, like others have stated, they could become fodder for the naysayers.

Also factor in H-D's Cross Bones and it looks like Victory is being a copy cat. (I know, that's a juvenile term).
Just my two cents here.
Victory is not trying to " copy " Harley, they have built a better V-twin, something Harley should have done years ago but they chose to stay with the " image " not evolve .
I think the names are perfect, they reflect exactly what the motorcycles are, a cross between the " Kingpin " and the " Vision " I don't think I could have done as good a job as victory did, a well deserved pat on the back from me.
Any old school Harley rider will say victory is another H D clone, a wanna be, but never will be, and all of us vic riders can be thankfull of that.
I do not want a Harley copy, I just want my " evolved " american made V-twin.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Now that I agree with. I wanted a touring bike that made the effort to offer state of the art engineering in frame design and geometry, engine design and performance and new styling. Harley as so long lived on the past designs, come stagnateand not made enough effort to evolve. I had 3 Harleys. Seems to me like EVOLUTION now belongs to Victory.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the financial problems that H-D is currently experiencing as well as the extended plant closures and layoffs, I think it's a safe bet that H-D Management will be putting their entire business model and product lineup under the microscope during this downturn.

All bike manufacturers are hurting these days as evidenced by the industry reporting a unit sales decline of 42% for the first half of 2009 and a 48% reduction in unit sales for June 2009.

Even the scooter and dual-sport manufacturers are feeling the pinch as just a year ago, when gas prices soared and sales skyrocketed, the unit sales have fallen this year 67% for scooters and 47% for dual-sport bikes.

If you follow the cyclical markets, while some companies may not have the deep pockets to weather the downturns, those that do typically emerge with fresh designs and a new perspective for the future.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Maybe they named them after Kevin Cross aka KevinX!

I'm real impressed with the new bikes! I saw a prototype drawing last year of this at Ness in Vegas. Liked it from the get go. I'm not into skulls, so the graphics to me are funky but the bike itself is awesome. Love the added fuel capacity.

I'm still up in the air on the full fairing.

I'm in no position to even think of a new bike so I guess I don't have to worry bout which model I want. It's a GOOD thing I'm so happy with my KP. :)

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or, Christopher Cross. Remember "Sailing"?

Or Christopher Columbus, he was a "cruiser."

Okay, getting too late. Don't forget to tip our waitresses!'

Back to the Cross' names...sorry, like the bikes, not the names. I can only guess the naming scheme could be a part of the master plan of blending the bikes into the new On Road Divisions product line. Maybe not.

After all, H-D already has the Cross Bones and having Vic add two cross models makes it seem that Vic is showing weakness by acknowledging H-D products. To me, the word Cross or X on a car or bike has the conotation of being designed for off road trails.

Hey, there's no rule that we have to agree with all of Vic Management's Moves.

As stated before, so far, the one word names have worked well for Vic so far. Why mess it up with two word names? I have more opinions earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Several companies have dropped names completely to give more brand recognition to the company rather then the model. Acura, Audi, BMW, Hummer, Infinity, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes, Porsche, Saab, Scion and Volvo to name a few. Even Cadillac and Lincoln have started following along. Is that where Victory needs to go? I don't know but it is an interesting theory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.