VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2500 miles on my Vegas and the rear brake pads "appear" to be almost gone? The front pads still look new but the rear are gone?
The bike rolls smooth so nothing is dragging, I do not ride the brakes, I just don't know what happened? Is this normal wear for rear brakes on the Victory?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

What year?
I had read similar post on vmc and was concerned for my pads as I am about to do a 3k trip and have 3800 on my bike. I worte to kevinx and asked him. Apparently it is an issue on pre 08 bikes. Vic supposedly changed the brking system in 08 and he thinks the bike shoud see 15-20k before the pads need replacement. Prior years I guess it is an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Greetings...
I too had to have a rear brake pad replacement on my '07 Jackpot with only 3xxx miles. My dealer wondered if I had been resting my right foot on the brake pedal. I will switch to an aftermarket pad and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
You guys have brake pad issues, 08 and 09s have popping and backfiring..Victory needs to get their poop together.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have replaced many a brake pads on dirt bikes and sportbikes ..... anything different here? Any hints and tips to watch out for replacing the pads on my Vegas?

Found a Lyndall Racing Front and Rear Z-Plus Pad kit online for $89
Might have to tackle this myself as long as no special tools are required.

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got 13k on my 06 Kingpin & just changed the front brakes, the rears look new (!). I went with the Lyndals Z+but the front buzzes something awful. Pulled them and went with Brembo pads and absolutely no buzzing. I really don't recommend the Lyndals. Got a new set of Lyndals for the rear sitting on the shelf and a set of Lyndals front that will never see my bike again.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

stilcrazee said:
You guys have brake pad issues, 08 and 09s have popping and backfiring..Victory needs to get their poop together.
I have an 08 and only got about 7k out of my rear. But being a Vegas Low I think it has more to do with the small front tire and the lack of front stopping power so I rely more on the rear brakes. The new pads get about 12k or so... Oh BTW thats miles not kilo's

·
Registered
166 Posts
FRANK121 said:
I have replaced many a brake pads on dirt bikes and sportbikes ..... anything different here? Any hints and tips to watch out for replacing the pads on my Vegas?

Found a Lyndall Racing Front and Rear Z-Plus Pad kit online for $89
Might have to tackle this myself as long as no special tools are required.

Thanks!
From what I understand they were using an aggressive pad 03 thru 07 to improve rear breaking. I went back with Lyndall pads with the promise of longer lifespan.
replacing the pads is extremely easy..no special tools reguired.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Pre 08 bikes have brembo brakes & pads, my dealer say's not unusual to go through a set of pads every 5,000 to 7,000 thousand miles.
My 08 has 25,000 klm's, ( 15,600 miles ) and my pads do not need changing yet.
Maby don is right with relying on the rear brakes because of the skinny front tire, no problem with my Kingpin's 18 inch front.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Me too.
'06 JP replaced rear pads at 3500 miles.
The good news is how simple it is to change the pads. Even for a beginner, real time about 15 minutes start to finish. I went with Lyndall pads, and saw a recomendation tosand the edge offthe leading edge to reduce the rubbing noise. I don't notice the sound.
Ken

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was looking at the pads the other day & thought they looked thin. When I was at the dealer I peeked at a new Vegas & the rear pads look pretty thin even when new. Mine are barley worn they just start out thin.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My ride that I have had since it was brand spanking new is a 03 Vegas with 47k on the clock. I went through 2 sets of rear pads in around 7k. I asked the dealer was this normal, he suggested I may be ride riding with my foot on the brake. huh? Are you kidding me?
I then talked to a independent motorcycle shop (now out of business due to poor economy) and asked what they thought. He said that the pads the dealer put on were organic and ware out FAST, He then suggested I use Sintered Metallic pads. He said that the Sintered Metallic pads can be used on stainless steel rotors (like what Victory uses) and the organic were best for cast rotors.
So that's what I did. They lasted for over 30k!
I finally had to replace them so I went back to the dealer (cause the independent motorcycle shop had to close their doors) and I picked up a set of pads from them.
Yesterday while changing the rear tire I looked at the pads & to my surprise they were more that half gone in 2k. What the hay! I went back I checked the ticket on the pads sold by the dealer & found they had again sold me organic pads.
So I am now looking for a set of EBC FA209/2HH Sintered Metallic pads. Also there are some folks that say Sintered Metallic pads are bad for your rotors. I have not noticed any change in mine.
Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
34 Posts
2007 8-Ball here....Just noticed this same problem a few days ago during a pre-ride check. I'm kind of pissed! First I optimistically think, "Well maybe its a harder, less-grippy pad." And now I find out they are just wearing out? Shouldn't this be covered in the warranty? I just rolled over 2000 miles and this sort of nonsense isn't what I want to be seeing. I know brakepads are one of the cheapest maintenance items on our bikes, but come on... Sorry for the rant, but I love Victory bikes and expect so much more.

Maybe if I just go for a nice ride I'll forget all about it...............

·
Registered
8 Posts

Ummm... gentlemen, The rear brake pads, new, appear about 1/3 the thickness of the front pads.... so likely not worn out at all.
I noticed this when I (erroneously) replaced my rear pads with after market pads (Lyndals), and was amazed to see brand new rear pads 1/2 - 1/3 thickness of the front... I am speaking of pads for a 2007 8Ball...

·
Registered
34 Posts
whimorris said:
Ummm... gentlemen, The rear brake pads, new, appear about 1/3 the thickness of the front pads.... so likely not worn out at all.
I noticed this when I (erroneously) replaced my rear pads with after market pads (Lyndals), and was amazed to see brand new rear pads 1/2 - 1/3 thickness of the front... I am speaking of pads for a 2007 8Ball...
This is why I love you guys. Thanks for clearing that up, I'll quit babying my rear brake now.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Lyndall and EBC pads last way, way longer than stock vic pads, at least the 07s. I put Lyndalls on and they work great although with a little noise. No more than EBCs I had on another brand of bike though.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

The original rear brake pads on my 04 Vegas lasted less than 6000 miles. My local Victory dealer recomended that I use the rear brake pads made for the TC.
After I started using the TC pads I was replacing the pads between 12,000 and 14,000 miles. No problems with noise and no bad effects on the rotor.
Another plus was the TC pads cost half as much as the Vegas pads.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.