VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched a bit (using the search feature and also manually browsing ...)
Can't find specifics on the recall for the rear brake lines for the CC and related models.

Anyone got a link to a thread that details what is done, how it's done, and if we can do it reasonably at home?
My dealer closed, so the next closest is WAY far away from me.
Would like to DIY this if possible.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
When you’re sitting on the bike the left side passenger foot rest , The brake line is routed close to the exhaust and the zip tie may break from heat causing the brake line to rest against the exhaust and rupture....From what I understand is they unbolt the foot rest and wrote the brake line to the other side of the bolt with a plastic washer to keep it in place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked it over this past weekend and that seems the likely spot. My retention tie is still in good shape.
I might just do the work myself. Would save me a LOT of time and grief.
Thanks!

Anyone got pictures of the work after completed by a dealer?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last night I took the saddlebag off and looked closer.
This looks quite simple; no need for me to have the dealer do the work.

Anyone know the torque for the two passenger foot-board bolts? (if not, I'll just dab on some blue LocTite and guestimate it).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the modification last night.
It was pathetically easy; remove LH passenger foot rest, cut the OEM zip-tie, move the brake line to "ahead" of the foot rest post (instead of behind it), and re-secure with another zip-tie. Done.
Dealer? What dealer? We don't need no stinking dealer!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
@dnewton3

Did you put the oversized rubber washer on? It's part of the recall

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't know where that would go, so "No".
although, the way I routed and secured it, not sure where/why a washer would be of any use.
Can you elaborate? Pix?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that all? I don't need the dealer for that. I can make my own. Not even sure what that is supposed to achieve in terms of functionality, but I can easily mimic it and do it myself.
No stinking dealer for me!

Thank you, BTW, for the clear pix!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the recall done a few months ago and the area where the repair is done is near the brake reservoir near the right side floorboard. Apparently the recall was because excess heat in the area was causing some bracket to melt/break.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I had the recall done a few months ago and the area where the repair is done is near the brake reservoir near the right side floorboard. Apparently the recall was because excess heat in the area was causing some bracket to melt/break.
That must be a different recall? The one being referred to hear affected about 26k bikes. Was on the left side by the footpeg as posted earlier. Nowhere else

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
Had mine done a while back took the dealer 20 minutes to do it. Now it's logged as being done if I trade or sell.

So the dealer is far away, you don't like long motorcycle rides for a 20 minute fix? I do all the work on my bike except recalls.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a matter of not only distance, but inconvenience of drop-off and pick-up. They don't work on a bike as you wait at my "local" dealer. So it's a MAJOR PITA to coordinate the dealer work for me. In addition to my taking off work, my wife also has to take time off work and pick me up when I drop it off, etc for reverse. Plus, this is a busy time of year for me, AND we have a bike trip planned next week. I'm not going to take my bike to the dealer so he can let it sit for a few days, and risk my departure date. Too many cons and not enough pros. I care about safety; I've dealt with the issue.

At some point in the future, if the recall needs "logged" at the dealer, I'll take it in. But in my 40 years of buying and selling bikes (both private party and dealer trades), I have yet to have someone ask "Is there a recall on your bike?" And even if there was an unfulfilled recall, I'd just tell the guy to either buy the bike and deal with it himself, or go buy another bike.

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
Cool, I called the dealer and said I had to wait can't just drop it off and they scheduled me around that and appointment day 20 minutes later I was leaving. I guess all dealers are different

·
Registered
6 Posts
I searched a bit (using the search feature and also manually browsing ...)
Can't find specifics on the recall for the rear brake lines for the CC and related models.

Anyone got a link to a thread that details what is done, how it's done, and if we can do it reasonably at home?
My dealer closed, so the next closest is WAY far away from me.
Would like to DIY this if possible.
I just had it done at Clawson Honda Motor Sports in Fresno California. Good mechanics I bet would tell you. Manny the mechanic I deal with explained it to me as if it were easy enough to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.