VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I had a fuse blown, and when I replaced it, I found that the brake light comes on by itself a few seconds after turning on the ignition. If I press the foot brake, after release, the goes out for a few seconds, then comes back on, and press and release turns it off, Front brake works fine, when I pull the lever the brake light comes on, and when released it goes off, but comes back on, until I press the foot brake pedal.
Anyone got any ideas?
I have liberally sprayed WD40, but before I started pulling things apart I thought I would see if anyone else has had a similar issue.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
The rear brake light switch is a pressure switch. Follow the line from the rear master cylinder, back along the frame rail and behind the engine. You should find the switch there, unplug the wires and see if the light doesn't go off and only operate with the front lever.

Could be the switch is going bad.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Likely a duff switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rear brake light switch is a pressure switch. Follow the line from the rear master cylinder, back along the frame rail and behind the engine. You should find the switch there, unplug the wires and see if the light doesn't go off and only operate with the front lever.

Could be the switch is going bad.
Thanks for that, I will take a look at the weekend.
I already WD40'd the spade clips, so next thing is to pull them off the switch.
Is it an easy change, to do the switch, does it involve draining or is it just a switch?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Thanks for that, I will take a look at the weekend.
I already WD40'd the spade clips, so next thing is to pull them off the switch.
Is it an easy change, to do the switch, does it involve draining or is it just a switch?
Cheers
I'd reckon it'd require bleeding.
Had a phantom air getting into my back brake on the old Vegas.
Replaced everything and still it made air, constant bleeding was getting to be a pain!
Only part I hadn't replaced was the line...
So I had a hose place fabricate me one out of stainless braid, incorporating the brake switch.
When I picked it up the guy says,
"Oh the fitting on your old line wasn't very tight where the brake switch joins"
Bingo!...evidently air molecules are smaller that brake fluid molecules and air can enter and there not be any fluid leaking out...
Went off on a slight tangent then but thought it worth mention.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, I cleaned the terminals on the rear brake light switch with emery cloth, cleaned the spade terminals, and it seems to be working, so it was possibly just dirt in the connections.

Also replaced the headlight bulb, which had blown, but found a small bulb in the headlight which had also blown - I didnt even know it was there (I have owned and ridden the bike for over 13 years!) it has no marking on it - what does it do? Whats the replacement part number?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
It's a marker light. If you put the bike in acc mode the little bulb stays on with the tail lights. I think it is a EU requirement and not all have them. You should be able to get a replacement at nearly any auto parts store or batteries+ I imagine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a marker light. If you put the bike in acc mode the little bulb stays on with the tail lights. I think it is a EU requirement and not all have them. You should be able to get a replacement at nearly any auto parts store or batteries+ I imagine.
Thanks for that, I will go to the local halfords and see if they hold them.
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts