VOG Forum banner

brake and shift extensions

1466 5
I find the brake pedal on the kingpin to be too short for my liking. I have seen what I beleive are Kuryakyn replacements for the stock pedals. They look like the Kuryakyn comfort grips. I noticed they offered long and shorts. I am thinking a long on the brake side and the shorts on the gear shift side both heel and toe would be a nice set-up. Has anyone done that mod?
It looks like the replacements have an allen screw that screws in from the motor side to hole them on. The stock pegs do not seem to have that same set-up.
Are they threaded or pressed in? How do you remove them?
I would guess you could replace both the toe and heel shifter pegs to make a matching set along with the brake peg replacement.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
From what I understand, from talking to my dealer, the pegs are pressed in and would have to be cut off. Then you would have to drill a hole thru the pressed in part, so that you could replace the pegs with ones that use a screw to hold them in.

I would like to see a real brake pedal for the KP, instead of a brake peg, as I had on my Harley.

·
Registered
249 Posts

They are screwed in. There is a threaded stud protruding from the ends on the factory pegs. They can be removed with a Vice-Grip. The Kuryakyn pegs use a long bolt which runs the length of the peg rather than a stud. USe a bit of blue thread locker on the threads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Before I got answers on how to remove the stock pegs I went to the dealer and bought the short Kuryakyn pegs for the heel and toe shifter and the long peg for the brake. They installed them for me.
It made a huge difference on the brake peg. The stock to me is too short. I had problems finding it without turning my foot inward. To me not a safe condition when needing to brakein a hurry. The longer Kurakyn peg is a lot easier to find. This is one of the first mods I made and feel a lot safer.
There is a flat faced brake petal available that I have seen somewhere and basically replaces the whole stock brake arm and peg. It was rather expensive. It seems it was around 200+ dollars compared to the low cost Kuryakyn replacement pegs.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

I put the long ones on all the corners. They screw in....make sure you put some blue thread lock on your new ones.
I found it odd that my originals had the RED thread locker on them (notorious for taking the threads right out with the part).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.