VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing them now. Easy install but I do have a question.

In the bag of screws there are two aluminum "spacers" about 1/2 inch thick. Each spacer has two holes drilled in it and the instructions show it being placed between the bracket on the rail and the bracket on the muffler. Then a screw plate is placed behind the bracket on the muffler and two screws are run thru the bracket on the rail, the spacer, and the bracket on the muffler and screwed into that screw plate.

Here's the question: Is that aluminum spacer even needed? If I use the spacer then the screws aren't long enough to screw into the screw plate that is behind the muffler bracket.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention that I have the Tri-Oval mufflers, not the stock. Maybe that's the difference?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Never looked but I imagined they were nearly the same size. Ace hardware for new screws. Couple $ Probably there to make sure the rail doesn't hit and damage the bag.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like these may not be the correct rails. I installed one with the spacer and went to put the saddlebag back on. It doesn't work. The bag sits on the rail which in turn raises the bag and then the bushings to attach the bags to the bike will NOT line up. They are too high up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This site has a GALLERY section. Start clicking through there and I'm sure you'll find some pics to compare with.
I just found an on-line parts catalog. Definetly the wrong rails. These are for the leather bags.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
They wrap around the back? I believe those are for the semi-hard bags. I think the hard bag rails come to an end at the rear of the side from pics I've seen.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the photos STANG. That confirms it even more. The dealer sold me the wrong rails.

Are you in Westminster Md.??

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They wrap around the back? I believe those are for the semi-hard bags. I think the hard bag rails come to an end at the rear of the side from pics I've seen.
Yup.... they wrap around. Wrong rails! Thanks for your help PDXLG.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I commute from southern Pa. (10 miles west of Gettysburg) to the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab in Columbia. I actually grew up not too far from Arbutus.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup... 61 miles. 140 thru Taneytown and into Westminster. 97 south to 144 to Pfeffercorn Road to 32 (this let's me avoid 70 and about a 3 mile stretch of 32) to Sanner road.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Makes me feel a little better having 45 miles one way ahead of me. Been doing the 34 miles from Westminster to Arbutus for 12 years now. I've worked here for 26yrs. I've a home here, don't think my toolbox will even roll it's been in the same spot since bought it in 05. LOL

How long have you been in PA?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We've been in Pa. since 1995. First in Littlestown and then here in Fairfield for the last 15 years.
I grew up in Baltimore City so living out here in the country is reeeeeaaallllll nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Mikekoz13 I am just curious if the bag was able to fit on the front and it was just the rear portion that was to high due to the rail curving towards the back? There are zero hard saddlebag rails left and see the soft are pretty inexpensive on ebay etc. I'm wondering if a shop was able to just cut out the back portion where it curves in if the rails would fit. When you tried installing did anything fit? Sorry, hope I'm making sense lol.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
@Mikekoz13 I am just curious if the bag was able to fit on the front and it was just the rear portion that was to high due to the rail curving towards the back? There are zero hard saddlebag rails left and see the soft are pretty inexpensive on ebay etc. I'm wondering if a shop was able to just cut out the back portion where it curves in if the rails would fit. When you tried installing did anything fit? Sorry, hope I'm making sense lol.
I've got some rails I'm willing to sell plus shipping. PM me if interested.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.