VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I liked the slash exhaust on the bike, I wanted more noise and more of a straight pipe look. I just picked up the bike from Chesapeake Cycles and she's beautiful! Her growl is thunderous and the look is a home run.

Question with these or any pipes. When my leg is down as I hold the bike at a stop, my jeans rest on the pipes .They did the same with the other pipes. I noticed this time the jeans actually burned .

Is this normal for smaller pipes? Is the bike to lean for some reason? I'd hate to put wraps or more guards on the pipes. Right now I'm going to use my old army boot straps to hold my jeans tight. I'm also looking for proper riding 'jeans' .

Thoughts?

View attachment 502077 View attachment 502079 View attachment 502081

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
This on the Pin?

Throw up a pic of what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This on the Pin?

Throw up a pic of what you're dealing with.
Had to move to another computer to shrink the images. They are up. Two of the bike, one of my pants.

This only happens when my legs are down, not while I'm riding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...maybe you can fab/re-purpose a heat shield for that area that touches your clothes?
If the heat from these pipes is normal I will look into some type of short guard if my jean 'straps' don't work out.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
First off. Those pipes look great!

Now I would hate to see a wrap or shield added to them so my suggestion is this.

Follow my method of sitting at a stop. Unless my wife is on or I'm on really uneven ground I only drop my left leg. The right stays on the board pressing the rear brake. That will keep you out of danger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Now I would hate to see a wrap or shield added to them so my suggestion is this.

Follow my method of sitting at a stop. Unless my wife is on or I'm on really uneven ground I only drop my left leg. The right stays on the board pressing the rear brake. That will keep you out of danger.
Yeah, I'm super happy with the look and sound. Might be placebo but I feel she's performing better, too. The guys at Chesapeake Cycles says the big is super clean and amazing looking with these pipes. It's the first set they've actually installed. They also said the auto tuner and power commander, which had already been on the bike, are perfect for what I have. I'm just concerned the bike is hotter than it should be or if these small pipes are this hit because they don't have 2" of cover like the previous pipes.

I hear and see plenty of people talk about pipes burning jeans and always planned on getting a or using my army strap since my jeans flair out.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
If I buy another Pin, like I'd like to, I might have to install those.

On my Pin I had the Victory Stage 1 pipes. They sounded alright and fit my needs as my only bike being a commuter and two up machine. If I get a Pin now it will be just a run around bike for me and I'll care less about having too much pipe sound.

Another issue I had with the Stage 1 pipes is they would drag making hard right turns because of their flared ends. Yours sit high and tight so I wouldn't have that issue.

On a panel burning note. I have a buddy that had a HD Softail. I don't know the pipes he has but they melt his work pants so he bought so half chaps I recommended to him. He just wears one and it does the trick.

For half chaps @ETrider is the authority on them. Hey ET! ;) We need to get us Texas boys together again.

·
Registered
879 Posts

I agree with this. I do the exact same thing. Only drop my left leg.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I agree with this. I do the exact same thing. Only drop my left leg.
Agree, I do this on really hot days as the Ground Pounders dump out on my foot when stopped. It's kinda nice on cold days lol.

• Haha
Reactions: mister-g

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have these @RPW_USA pipes as well. (Blacked out) as well. Great performers- but after a couple years my powder coat seems to be looking kinda thin in places. Not super happy about that, but they are still vastly superior to anything OEM- including the finish.

Pipes attract burny-melty things to them like moths to a flame. Mine are not in the way of either passenger at all- and yet I find a new glob at least once a year. You can often get most of the glob off when hot, tho. I know that damn rain gear is often bell bottomed to the 10th degree- that doesn't help...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Practice until you can leave your right foot up on the brake pedal during and after stopping and leave your bike in 1st gear, checking your mirrors often. It's the proper, safe technique and could save your britches ;) (in more ways than one).

For half chaps @ETrider is the authority on them.
Owning a pair (and being teased by you brutes in the Hill Country) and being an authority are two totally different things. Although, I did recently buy some leg gaiters to keep my lower legs dry on wet rides.

We need to get us Texas boys together again.
I'm definitely game...got too much vacation time built up, again. When that happened last year, I was forced to take a last-minute solo ride through the deserts and mountain ranges (Davis and Guadalupe) of West Texas. Poor me. :cry:...:hihi:
:TX:

View attachment 502257

View attachment 502259

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.