VOG Forum banner

BMW1600GTL released - Video of Features

5207 32
The much anticipated BMW 1600GTL (and GT) has been officially announced and the attached video shows many of the new features in this 6 cyl. touring bike. The innovative way of installing the Garmin Zumo behind the windscreen is very interesting. The bike looks like a big Owl coming at you from the front, IMO. But, it's an interesting contender in the luxo touring market, to be released in early 2011.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I'd end up in a crash adjusting the bike. Way too many buttons, dials, and settingsto play with.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

I'm sure the bike is fast as a scalded rat, too.

I like its styling and features but, really, all sport touring bikes look pretty much the same as the others, although Honda's new ST model based on the VFR will probably look more unusual.

I seriously considered a sport touring bike, specifically the Connie, before buying the Cross Country. I just love the Victory styling. There just isn't anything on the road quite like it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The seat is "height adjustable in the rider area" according to BMW. A translation from an Italian site says a range of 29" - 31.9". Here are some more photos of this interesting looking bike (7 gal. tank and 0-62mph in 3.4s):

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
GrayWings said:
Oops. Sorry about those skewed dimensions. I should have re-sized the images before inserting.
Fixed!

(FYI, when uploading them on the site, either first place them in the Gallery or set the width to 500 px on the site's pop-up box).

·
Registered
153 Posts
I dig all the tech stuff (that's why I got a Vision) but the reason I never even considered a BMW is the engine/leg positioning. If I can't stretch my legs, I'm not happy. That bad @$$ motor prevents me from riding in the position I like. Oh well, good thing there is a Vision for the likes of me.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
looks of cool gadgets and like the front 2/3rd of the bike. Luggage still looks like an afterthought.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts

CVI-Cowboy said:
I dig all the tech stuff (that's why I got a Vision) but the reason I never even considered a BMW is the engine/leg positioning. If I can't stretch my legs, I'm not happy. That bad @$$ motor prevents me from riding in the position I like. Oh well, good thing there is a Vision for the likes of me.
+1 I would jump all over it if it had more of a feet foward design.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I've read, BMW studied the ergonomics of the seating position for long distance riding and found that this slightly more forward posture was best. They refer to the triangular shape of the handlebar position with the footrest lower and forward and the seat top, all of which result in a comfortable knee angle and posture. Add to that the seat height and shifter position both adjust individually and they think they have a very comfortable long distance driving position. They also made the engine a slim-line design along with the seat.

Of course, I would need to try it to be sure. And I am seriously considering trying it when they become available. I have an excellent BMW dealership near me that I have bought many accessories from and they have excellent customer service.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should probably add that while I am generally quite happy with my 08 Vision, I do have several design concerns, customer service concerns and exhaust/tranny concerns. My Vision, with Lloydz cams and all my add-ons, is a very nice bike and I am happy with the stock seat. But, I see some things in the BMW that I would have liked in the Vision, including the newest 2011 models. My biggest concern with the BMW is that this is a new model and they traditionally have lots of bugs and issues with new models, despite their reputation for German excellence. Of course, the Vision was the epitome of a "new" model and I bought that anyway.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
GrayWings said:
I should probably add that while I am generally quite happy with my 08 Vision, I do have several design concerns, customer service concerns and exhaust/tranny concerns. My Vision, with Lloydz cams and all my add-ons, is a very nice bike and I am happy with the stock seat. But, I see some things in the BMW that I would have liked in the Vision, including the newest 2011 models. My biggest concern with the BMW is that this is a new model and they traditionally have lots of bugs and issues with new models, despite their reputation for German excellence. Of course, the Vision was the epitome of a "new" model and I bought that anyway.
Having owned several BMW cars, the cost of the vehicle is serious, the expense of the vehicle is exorbitant, at least with cars. Most Bimmer folks trade their cars after the warranty expires. Not sure about the bikes, however.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Jagular said:
GrayWings said:
Having owned several BMW cars, the cost of the vehicle is serious, the expense of the vehicle is exorbitant, at least with cars. Most Bimmer folks trade their cars after the warranty expires. Not sure about the bikes, however.
The bikes aren't much better. On the new K1300's a brake fluid flush is a $$$ exercise that requires a connection to their computer to perform and is required maintenance at certain intervals. That's just one example, there are thousands of complaints on service costs on the various forums.

Not that it would prevent me from owning one, just that it has to be factored into the total cost equation.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Looks like a LOT of fun for the short term. Long term you have cramped seating, can't stretch out, BMW reputation for all those gizmo's breaking down, expensive required maintenance, not built in the USA, and I love my XC.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems like Jay Leno had a US unveiling at his garage the other day. Take a look at him sitting on the bike for an idea of it's size.http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/10/live-reveal-bmw-k-1600-at-jay-lenos-garage.html

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.