VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite my infatuation with my fat tire, no windshield, lowered, chopper looking 8-Ball, I am not a skull cap rider and enjoy what technology has to offer for motorcycle enthusiasts.

I recently purchased (birthday present from my wife) a pair of Midland BT2 Bluetooth headphones. I love to hear my tunes when I ride, but it a little "modification" of what the Midland research and development team thought were the perfect wireless devices.

(Note: I have to modify everything)

The first thing I did was take a knife and cut those sorry, treble only, speakers out of the $300 units. My wife almost passed out. After an anxious wait for the UPS guy, he finally delivered the Panasonic low bass response headphones I purchased @ Ebay. I carefully removed the headloop from the ear cups and cut the wires out of the housing. These are Over the Ear type head phones so they are rather large.

I soldered the wires to the BT2's with detachable 1/8 inch male on the ear cups and a female adapter that goes to the BT2 wires. This way I can unplug the BT2 and run an 1/8th female to male from my MP3 player directly to my headphones with no need for the BT2's to be attached.

I also removed the Ear and Cheek padding from my helmet. I placed some velcro on back of the ear cups and they now stick perfectly to my chin strap (inside the helmet) and to the existing padding in the mid region of the helmet.

The headphone over ear cups now serve 2 purposes...

1: My slash down pipes are loud, REALLY LOUD, so with my invisible house headphones on underneath my helmet, I cut the pipe noise down dramatically while still being able to hear ambient noises, like (ambulance) sirens. The Ear Cups are really comfortable by the way, with their thick soft cushion that seals comfortably around the ear.

2: The factory Midland BT2 28mm speaker driver, velcro backed, NON over the ear speakers suck - plain and simple. They are not comfortable, and they produce the most ear piercing high end treble sound you have ever heard. Imagine listening to Van Halen's "Jump" from the 1984 album on a cellphone at twice the volume - it horrible.

When you want to hear music, you want to hear it like it is played, or at LEAST relatively similar. With my modified Panasonic over the ear headphones with 40 mm drivers (on a motorcycle with loud pipes) the experience is much MUCH better than with the factory BT2's. Don't get me wrong, it's not like sitting in a theater by any means, but at least you can hear the bass notes when they are played. You just get to enjoy those big bass notes along with 1500 cc's of roaring thunder.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Damn, that seem like a lot of work. My bikes are music to my ears. Don't need no stinkin tunes. But that is just me.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
So, with wind noise, loud pipe noise, and ambient sounds from asphalt, cars etc. its pretty loud on a bike. Excess of 90 DB. I have read.

I played around a bit a few years ago. Sound in my ears in the garage was outrageous and I would never listen to music that loud. Sounded just fine to me at 70MPH though.

I wonder how many DB. of damaging sound you will be pushing into your ears at 70-80 MPH on a highway.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
I am not pickin a fight. I would love to figure how to have music and keep my hearing at the same time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
advntrus said:
satxron said:
So, with wind noise, loud pipe noise, and ambient sounds from asphalt, cars etc. its pretty loud on a bike. Excess of 90 DB. I have read.

I played around a bit a few years ago. Sound in my ears in the garage was outrageous and I would never listen to music that loud. Sounded just fine to me at 70MPH though.

I wonder how many DB. of damaging sound you will be pushing into your ears at 70-80 MPH on a highway.
LOL....ahh leave him be Sax. He'll never know what the hell hit him.
Shawn
???

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
satxron said:
I am not pickin a fight. I would love to figure how to have music and keep my hearing at the same time.
Here is the difference... My ear phones are "Over the Ear" Cups - not simply pressed against the ear like comes factory with the BT2's and other similar bluetooth sets...

The over the ear cups are similar to the BOSE quiet comfort head sets that block out other louder noises. So in essence I am lowering the ambient noise level of pipes, road, etc... and can listen to music at a comfortable level and not blow out my hearing. If anything, I am saving my hearing, even more so than those who listen to nothing at all, or where nothing over their ears. Its a simple proposition really. -sa

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
Ok, so we have what? About 500 bucks in it. Sounds interesting, is there a photo of the finished product. I would much prefer music over wind noise. As long as wind noise is eliminated, not masked with louder music.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$500? NOoooo... I paid $232 for 2 of the BT2 units from Abes of Maine. The other headphones I whacked up were $3.99 on ebay.... That is a very small cost compared to what we pay for chrome and accessories... s

I will post some photos when I have time - click/card to pc, edit, and upload is not my favorite thing to do. -sa

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the photos:

This shot is WITHOUT the cheek pads in front of the ear phones...

Yes the hole is ugly, but hey, no one else can see it at 70mph

The "Cup" looks like it protrudes, but it is actually almost flat. The cushion on the outer edge of the cups is super soft and barely presses against my head around the ear.

Note: I DID have to remove some foam from the cheek pad to make the ear phone lay flat against the helmet wall. A pair of scissors and some super glue makes for some easy "cut and sew" on the pad material.

Ahhh, the glorious BT2 Blutooth... sound is great

And on a side note, Bluetooth cell phone conversations between my BT2 and Blackberry while running 70mph are phenominal. Some folks can't even tell I am on my bike which is almost hard to believe. All I have to do is press 1 button on the BT2 to voice dial my contacts... when the conversation is over, it automatically switches back to my mp3 player (Zune 120) - nice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.