VOG Forum banner

blowing 10 amp fuse

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Rockslider1 
#1 ·
was wondering if anyone had this issue or has any idea whats causing the problem Im having with my 99 v92c blowing the ing / flasher, 10 amp fuse and shutting down the bike. Ive checked the regulator output and looked for degraded wiring at the fuse box and ign sw and all looks good. what Im curious about is the original relays being all that good because I while on a trip I had to replace the headlamp relay because of over amping the bulb. and its been fine since.
as for the 10 amp it doesnt blow right away it takes some time so Im at a loss as to whats going on. I just bought the bike a couple months ago and its been fine up untill the headlight issue . should I upgrade the relays and see what happens or does someone know of this issue and what the fix is ? thanks

#2 ·
Fuses blow due to over current for a specific amount of time. If you had a headlight issue ( what ever that was) I would suggest that you start there and work your way back. Bad wires, components, or even corrosion can all add up to a problem.

Just trouble shot a Jackpot that wouldn't start. Owner installed a new battery, I assumed that he cleaned the terminals, WRONG. Few minutes cleaning and the bike is off and running.

What was your headlight issue? What did you do to fix or is the issue still with you?

#3 ·
Fuses blow due to over current for a specific amount of time. If you had a headlight issue ( what ever that was) I would suggest that you start there and work your way back. Bad wires, components, or even corrosion can all add up to a problem.

Just trouble shot a Jackpot that wouldn't start. Owner installed a new battery, I assumed that he cleaned the terminals, WRONG. Few minutes cleaning and the bike is off and running.

What was your headlight issue? What did you do to fix or is the issue still with you?
thanks for responding. The headlight issue was that it was over amping to the point it would melt the halogen bulb leads within the headlight itself. being on the road without the a manual I checked the fuses and found that there was only a relay which I replaced and that seems to have fixed the problem. It does get a little warm but then its on all the time so...
When this current issue started I took the battery out and found that the previous owner had installed a battery tender lead and pinched the hot lead between the battery box and frame. I thought that may have finally worn out and caused the problem though I didnt see any bare wire.
Anyhow Ive got the schematic and have traced out the fuse components and its pretty straight forward. It powers the ign sw and self canceling sw. It also powers the ign / brake relay . I will say the self cancel sw doesnt always work but I dont see that as the issue since I would think a direct short would be the result and cause the fuse to blow immediately but its worth a look.
Being that it takes time for the fuse to blow and being part of the flasher unit and both times it went was right after using the turn signals ( just realized this) odds are its in the flasher unit itself ? hmm worht a look .

#6 ·

OK so after further digging into the problem I found that the self cancel works off the speed sensor which in turns works with the speedo which once on my trip died and came back after a restart. so to narrow it down Im going to ride w/o using the turn signals and see if the fuse blows. seems odd but Im more adept to cars than bikes. my 63 Triumph chopper is too easy but not for long rides

#7 ·
Thats what I figured Im really not up on working with late model bikes My old 72 rigid sporty and my 63 Triumph are basic and easy. cars Im pretty familiar with Ive found that the self canceling sw which isnt working all the time and is tied into the speed sensor so Im taking it out and not using the turn signals that should tell me something since the fuse is also part of the flasher circuit I'll keep ya posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.