Blinkers like a parking lights | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Blinkers like a parking lights

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by XanderXCT, Oct 21, 2020.

1. XanderXCT

XanderXCT New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Cross Country Tour
    Hi everyone! Asked a question and searched on the forums, but did not find anything. Maybe here someone knows how to make LEDs in turning signals (blinkers), shone like a backlight/parking lights? I think is look much coolest on the road and will be more informative for others drivers. Maybe someone make some circuit modification which allows a LED blinkers to be used as a parking light and like turn signal indicator light.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    Hi, I've been working on something that will work with the cross bikes. It's been difficult due to the awesome year we are having and also because it's LED and CANbus, which makes it tricky. I'm hoping to have a good working module by the end of the year. If all goes well, it could be used for front or rear (rear would probably need converted to red otherwise it'll look a bit lame). Should be more or less plug and play, you'd only have to find a keyed hot wire for it to work. I have access to a board assembly house and pcb manufacturing so it could be pretty cool.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. XanderXCT

XanderXCT New Member

Will wait your module!
    I found some information on homemade circuits, where is describe a innovative circuit modification...but is described for single filament bulbs. Could be working the led indicator like a bulb with a single filament?

4. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    Yes, single filament lamps change intensity based on current supplied or flash on/off with signal and stay off or on with no signal depending on the circuitry. Generally with lower current dimmer lamps, with higher current brighter lamps. Same with LEDs.

But with the LED circuitry that's built into the cross bike LED signals, there is a minimum current needed for them to come on at all (the circuit must be powered). This could also prove to be a bit of a problem. The 2 designs I'm trying to work with are:

1) LEDs on full brighness when bike on, signal activated, LEDs flash on/off opposite of rear signals (front on/rear off, front off/rear on). This is the simplest circuit and doesn't affect the CANbus but may cause people with OCD to freak out.
    2) LEDs on half (or 1/4 or 3/4) bright when bike on, signal activated, LEDs flash on/off full brightness same as rear signals, canceled signal - 1s delay then LEDs turn back on half brightness.

With the 2nd design, I was thinking to add the option where you would be able to change the brightness of marker light illumination via a trimpot.

In November, I'm meeting with the board designer. Both of these will be made with components to test. I think I'll be repainting this winter, so I'll have the bike apart so it should be easy to run some tests at some point during disassembly or assembly.

If either of these work like I hope, I'll be able to make a working run/turn/brake module as well, so looking forward to that.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    If you just install lizzerd lights direct from the battery and a switch that would be the easiest way forward ?

6. XanderXCT

XanderXCT New Member

Was thinking about this, but it's a big problem to opened the blinkers..to insert inside some smd led's with micro wires

7. krb

krb Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country 8 Ball
    The stock turn signals are difficult to work with since the canbus is so sensitive to changes in resistance.

My choice was to add additional lights that are constant on as well as turn signals. This way I'm getting the benefits of extra lights while bypassing any issues with the canbus system.

8. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    No I mean just add lizard lights on your fender and front fork, just a separate system

9. XanderXCT

XanderXCT New Member

For me the headlight is ok, so I don't need additional lights for better illumination. I was thinking about insert inside in stock turn signal some led's separately from cross-country system..with separate on/of button.
    Otherside, I don't want to create unnecessary obstacles for flies and mosquitoes with additional lights on fender or fork etc :)

10. OneThumb

OneThumb OT-CAN

My solution

• Like Like x 1
  11. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Aren't there already commercially available units?

Kuryakyn 4710 comes to mind.

12. jmstang302

Okay it can be done. OP wants to know, HOW?

13. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    This is what a former friend was working on at one time. Before he flaked, I mean before we had a direction of the business disagreement and I never heard from him again. I provided the bike, the ideas, he was the brains that figured out how to make it happen. This was done by making two circuits, one with white leds, and one with amber leds. Then a circuit board with I think capacitors stored in the headlight bucket is what switched them from solid white circuit to the flashing orange circuit when the turn signal or hazard button was pushed. For the rear it would’ve been the same set up just with both circuits inside the turn signal housing would have red leds. Too bad things didn’t work out, we had a lot of cool stuff planned.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jmstang302

15. Davisguard

Davisguard Member

2014 Vic XCT

I had this light option on my Honda VTX, worked great. If you are looking for a test mule let me know. I'm in Stayton.