VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to paint my cheese wedges black but want to keep the dimples chrome to match the grips and paint job im formulating (still working out how im going to do that). I think if it is too much of a pain, I will just drill out the dimples and stagger two different size flat top circled chrome bolts in their place to match the look of the cheese hole grips.
Any input would help. I should have a design of the look im going for tonight pictured.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It would be cool if you had a formula that gave you the diameter of hole to equal the dimple size. Like if the dimple is 20cm x 3cm deep than a circle cut to "X" would completely fill the dimple. That way you could make a hole punch the size you need and cut masking tape to size.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
I like the wax idea except for possible clean up after. Clay might work also.
If you used wax see if there is a low temp wax so just turning it over on a paper towel and hitting the back with a heat gun might let the wax melt out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
rubber cement...

Will take it a little bit to dry. But when your ready to pull it off it will come out easy...and no scratches. You can just rub it off with your fingers.
Use it all the time when I transfer designs to metal from paper.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

texhammer said:
rubber cement...

Will take it a little bit to dry. But when your ready to pull it off it will come out easy...and no scratches. You can just rub it off with your fingers.
Use it all the time when I transfer designs to metal from paper.
even better. Ill try that. thanks.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
A few years back we used somethinglike aliquid mask for painting our remote controled boats more than one color colour, paint it on a surface, draw a patteren, cut the lines with an xacto knife and the excess lifts off like a layer of skin. Hobby stores use to carry it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it turns out my cigar cutter cut the perfect size circle for the dimples. I am finished I think. I don't know much about painting tho. Does this require a clear coat? It is satin black. The paint came out flawless.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Looks great,

Yes Clear coat., at least three coats of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got my 8-ball and want to black out the wedges also.
What kind of paint did you use, and prep?
Clean them, scuff with a scotch brite & shoot?
I've used Krylon's "Fusion" for plastic in the past, and it seems to hold up pretty well.
They have a "hammered" finish that would match up with the engine case.

Seems like I could use a heat gun and remove the 100 badge, then either 3M tape or spray adhesive it back when done.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Parts List:
Krylon "Fusion" for plastic, black satin
Krylon clear satin
Red Scotch Brite pad
Mineral spirits (wipedown)
Heat gun (removing 100 badge)
3M heavy duty mounting tape

Popped off the wedges, started with the ignition side first.
Scuffed it up with the Scotch-Brite, making sure to scuff the dimples, key opening and edges. This won't remove the chrome paint, but will scuff it up some, even though the "Fusion for plastic" paint says you can just wipe down the item with mineral spirits and spray.

After scuffing & wipe down, while this one dried, I was ready to prep the badge side. I used the heat gun on low setting, heating the back side of the wedge. Holding it plenty far away as not to ruin the badge, or the wedge. Slowly heating the adhesive until the badge pretty much fell off. Used some WD-40 to remove the little bit of adhesive stuck to the wedge. The badge is thin metal, don't get in a hurry and bend it when lifting it off. Resist temptation to push through the back side keyhole opening too.

Now both pieces are prepped, and I wondered how to support the parts while painting, and be able to reach everything without touching it. Found a couple of paint cans that were just the right fit to hold the wedges snugly. I could turn them any way needed including upside down.

I shot 5 coats of paint on each, waiting 15 - 20 mins between coats. I let both sit for 1 hr after the last coat of black, before applying 3 or 4 light coats of satin clear.

Letting things dry overnight, and will re-attach the "100" badge & stick 'em on tomorrow. Personally, they looked better w/out the clear, but we'll see how things end up after they cure.
So far I have about $10 and 2.5 hrs invested (only had to buy paint and scotch-brite).

Will post final pics after complete and installed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.