VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a ufo! I saw it on the Internet. Has to be true.
To be honest I've been thinking some sort of meteor ? space junk? Two points of 'luck" ? One, whatever it was didn't hit just a few feet farther up, at the windshield. And two...whatever it was..wasn't rigid / hard enough to punch through the fuselage.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think there are less than a handful of birds on the planet that fly > 28,000 feet...and without blood that's pretty amazing!
No way it was a bird at 30,000 ft. Perhaps they hit one when decending to a lower altitude but I doubt a bird could do such damage without leaving some traces. As odd as it seems, perhaps they hit a meteorite.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
No way it was a bird at 30,000 ft. Perhaps they hit one when decending to a lower altitude but I doubt a bird could do such damage without leaving some traces. As odd as it seems, perhaps they hit a meteorite.
Actually...

griffon vulture

The two highest-flying bird species on record are the endangered Ruppell's griffon vulture, which has beenspotted flying at 37,000 feet (the same height as a coasting commercial airplane), and the bar-headed goose, which has been seen flying over the Himalayas at heights of nearly 28,000 feet

Reactions: primethious

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Actually...

griffon vulture

The two highest-flying bird species on record are the endangered Ruppell's griffon vulture, which has been spotted flying at 37,000 feet (the same height as a coasting commercial airplane), and the bar-headed goose, which has been seen flying over the Himalayas at heights of nearly 28,000 feet
Hmm,neither of those birds are known to live in MN, WI, or IL. Maybe the aircraft took an extended detour on its way from MN to IL? :)

Griffon vulture - Wikipedia
Bar-headed goose - Wikipedia

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
How fast was the plane traveling? Fact is a small pebble, traveling at 560mph, can do severe damage to aluminum - even steel - so it is possible however unlikely, that a bird or something else could actually cause that kind of damage at cruising speed.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How fast was the plane traveling? Fact is a small pebble, traveling at 560mph, can do severe damage to aluminum - even steel - so it is possible however unlikely, that a bird or something else could actually cause that kind of damage at cruising speed.
I hear what you're saying but....wouldn't a pebble act more like a bullet, and penetrate the skin ?

I mean what ever it was reversed the shape of damn near the entire nose, And keep in mind that a dome is one of the strongest shapes/designs.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Cruise speed for a commercial jet at 30,000 feet is 500+ mph so even a small bird weighting a couple of pounds would do serious damage.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
get a forensics guy to take a few samples off the front of that thing,,, problem solved. they probably already know anyways but just don't want the public to freak out and start taking the train. :scared2:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Actually...

griffon vulture

The two highest-flying bird species on record are the endangered Ruppell's griffon vulture, which has beenspotted flying at 37,000 feet (the same height as a coasting commercial airplane), and the bar-headed goose, which has been seen flying over the Himalayas at heights of nearly 28,000 feet
Wow! Thanks for the education. I had no idea any birds could fly at such an altitude. How do they stay warm at such altitudes - even with feathers?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Why do birds suddenly appear...
Every time...
You are near?

Just like me...
They long to be...
Close to you!

Reactions: AllenTea
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.