VOG Forum banner

Bike wonders

6K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  Flyboy 
#1 ·
I just picked this bike up last Saturday (2015 Victory Vision 10k miles) they just put New Dunlop e4 on it and this bike wonders or gets floating feeling like it is unstable. It only occurs above 65 that I can notice. Any help would be great. Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
A tire change does not require the adjustment bolts to be touched. If they moved them, then yes it probably needs to be aligned but I doubt that has much to do with what you are feeling.

New front tire is very ROUND , little contact patch. As @md2420 said with new a tire out front it will feel quite tipsy at first. Relax a little and see if that helps as he suggested.

I'm not fond of the Dflops, especially the front tires, if there's a groove or a rut in the road you will feel the need to fight for control, that's actually the last thing you want to do. You'll always be behind and the more you correct the worse it will get.

Where are you located? Many of us wrench on our own bikes. I have several that I work on. Would gladly help gets you straightened out if you're nearby.

#4 ·
Whoever did the tires may not have aligned the rear properly. I'd be checking both front wheel for proper tightening and then the rear for tracking and tension. If still a problem the triple tree.

#9 ·
Surprisingly it may not be in the front. If your belt isn't aligned then neither is the wheel. When was the last time front forks were serviced/adjusted. The list of possibilities: Rear wheel alignment. Swingarm bushing /bearings worn.Shock under inflated/worn. Front fork head bearings worn/out of adjustment. Bad tire or low air.

#10 ·
Not sure if this is the same for you, but when I first got my Vision, I thought it wandered as well, but then I found I was trying too hard to keep it straight (eg white-knuckling the handlebars). Once I loosened my grip and let her wander a bit, all was well. It’s a big ship with a lot of Tupperware. They are solid machines and cut the wind very well, just sometimes “float”. So let it float.

that being said, as others have said, make sure you have proper alignment in your tires. Side note: the marks on the swing arm are NOT an indication that it is aligned properly. They are called “guide marks” for a reason. There have been other occasions/discussions around the marks and they are not always the same from left to right.

Reactions: mister-g
#14 ·
A Vision with an E4 will probably feel like what you have under you. Especially if you're a little tense. Vision is a very nimble bike, with a tire that doesn't know which way to go (E4) ...

FWIW I just put a second set of Angel GT, E4 ft/rr on a brothers XCT he loves the combination. Put a Metzler 888 , Avon Chrome , anything but the E4 and she'll ride much better.

If you weren't 2000 miles away , I'd swap our front tires and make a believer outta you.

#22 ·
A Vision with an E4 will probably feel like what you have under you. Especially if you're a little tense. Vision is a very nimble bike, with a tire that doesn't know which way to go (E4) ...

FWIW I just put a second set of Angel GT, E4 ft/rr on a brothers XCT he loves the combination. Put a Metzler 888 , Avon Chrome , anything but the E4 and she'll ride much better.

If you weren't 2000 miles away , I'd swap our front tires and make a believer outta you.
This same floating feeling occurred with my CC exactly 2 years ago when Kevin X did his magic on it at his shop. I had him also to replace worn E3s with E4s. I had not ridden the bike in several weeks ( to cold in SW Ohio ) and took it down to High Springs, FL in my Hi top Express Van. I was a little tense due to new power to control and unscrubbed new tires. Initial feeling was it was floating, kinda weird. So I took it easy that afternoon. Next day with stickiness removed it was one hell of a confidence inspiring ride on those great roads they have in North Florida.

#15 ·
@Keyman6868 , I'm in the valley of the sun as well (Chandler) and on my 2nd set of E4s. I have no problems with them, but also have had nothing else on the bike, so I can't compare with any other tires. If the bike wanders because of the E4, idk, but it does wander a bit. Took me a few weeks to get used to, but once I did, I've had all the confidence I need in the bikes performance and manners.

who did the tires for you?

#23 ·
Not enough info. How new are the tires? May need more scrubbing in. All the advice so far is all you can really do for now or get rid of the front tire. There’s talk that the E4 is not a rated tire for the front of the Vision. Crazy I know sine the E3 is.

#27 ·
taking it back to the original post, I'd say you just aren't used to the Vision yet. Are you death gripping it or trying to keep it from wandering? If so, don't. Relax your grip, have faith in the bike and it's abilities and learn how she acts/reacts.

I don't think you need to change tires or go to drastic measures here. If the wheels are balanced and aligned (which they probably are if you had them done at a reputable shop)....btw you haven't told us what shop did it....then I think you are overthinking or over correcting.

take a few more weeks...you know the weather is great here in the valley right now....and get used to her. I bet you come back with a "yup, it was me trying to control it too much".

#28 ·
When I recently changed from my Commander 2's, bias, to the new E4 radial it felt very floaty. Pressure was set at 41, on tire, but I reduced it back to 38psi. After about 200 miles I went up to 40psi. They are great! Handles better in twisties but absolutely feels lighter still in front, which is nice. I love these E4'S once I readjusted. Steering is very easy, but one might think floaty. These rides just handle and go over ridiculously for a huge bike. I've only hit a high of 107mph, testing my jacket for wind, and they cruised just fine, but lighter front feeling over Commander's.

#29 ·
check the pressure in your rear air shock and make sure its set for the approximate load on the bike. i once met a guy out on the road with a vision who had no idea he had an adjustable air shock back there. i tend to ride mine on the soft side and at highway speeds it does get that wandering feeling, stiffer shock tighter feel. :ride:

#37 · (Edited)
that would do it! Glad you found the issue!

@Keyman6868 - I would think the shop screwed up here. First, the low pressure of 32 psi. I don't know ANY bikes that run that low. Heck, even cars don't run that low anymore now that most of them have lower profile tires. Second, you would think they would've inspected around the mounting area (on both dismount and remount) and found that adjuster issue.

might consider asking them what the deal is. And/or take it somewhere else next time.

#40 ·
Don't use that shop again after you've roasted them!!!
Vic belt alignment/ adjustment is set after initial belt break-in period and once it's properly set there's no reason to mess with it.
Victory design means you can change the tyre without messing with adjustment.
Low air pressure inexcuseable!
Wondering if you used a bike repair shop or a tyre shop?
Either way don't use them again...

#45 ·
I posted on another thread. We had a member had a tire failure with an e4 on the front of a cross country. Dunlop knows the problem and does not recommend that on the front. They recommend an e3. They state it is unstable. He crashed and had injuries and is now suing. They still list it for a vision as a second option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.