VOG Forum banner

Bike Security

2K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  nickr914 
#1 ·
So, when traveling and staying at motels, I never really worried much about my bike getting stolen, mainly because it's not a Harley...lol. Hek, I never even parked under the awning at the front desk like some do. But I do try and park it where I can see it from my room window.

So.....can I worry even less now that Victory is done? Or is it gonna be a hot item for bike thieves?

Just a thought that crossed my mind while sitting here thinking about vacationing this year.....lol

#2 ·
Not till parts get scarce and there is a demand in the black market for the parts. Lol!

I don't think you have anything to worry more or less about.

#3 ·
If someone wants it bad enough, a security system won't prevent them from taking it. It's kind of like locking the doors of your house... it only keeps honest people out.

Reactions: Dan050
#4 ·
Leave the Victory at home and it won't be a target at any motel...... :angel4:

#11 ·
Lol, motorcycle security......
The best security, don't worry bout it, or spend a ****ton of money on a lowjack, key fob start and so on, so when it's lifted onto a trailer you might find the lowjack....
I guess best security would be get a really heavy bike

#12 ·
Just load up the saddle bags with lead bars at night! :hihi:

#14 ·
Actually, the title "Bike Security " wasn't a good title. I was just sitting there bored to death and thinking out loud. I didn't know how else to title it.....lol.
I'm not looking for any kind of security devices or such. That's what insurance is for.

#15 ·
One of these is simple and would prevent someone from rolling the bike somewhere easier to load it up. The goal of any security measure is to make another target look easier - there are very few measures that will truly prevent a determined thief, but if you make it inconvenient enough, they'll just move on to the next one. A disc lock serves the same purpose.

Amazon.com: Grip-Lock Motorcycle and Scooter Security Lock - Yellow: Automotive

Reactions: Dan050
#16 ·
I bought one of those last summer. It works quite well, but I have yet to use it; I can't get past the feeling of looking like a douchebag, and inviting somebody to key my tank.

How was the volleyball tournament? I don't envy you, man. My youngest was a wrestler; little kids tournaments every weekend in the winter from the time he was 5. You sit for 6 hours to see your kid for 20 minutes. Sheesh, I don't miss that.;)

#18 ·
Try considering installing one of these devices on your motorcycle, since you're not gonna stop anyone from stealing it.....you might as well know where they brought it, call a couple of boys and handle business promptly.

Unfortunately for the other guy when I'm done using the ball peen hammer, he's gonna need some help to take a piss.....because all his fingers on both hands will be broken.

Amazon.com: gps tracking units

#19 ·
well for me, nobody wants to touch or be near my bike.... ive had club members give it 5 ft of space....
I have left my gear, cooler, and keys in it when i went to an amusement park as a "chaperone", a passerby asked, if i really trust noone is gonna touch it... I laughed and walked into the park.... I was a little over 2 hours from home, I just figure people arent that ****in stupid.....

A while bike, yea I did the lock thing, and the alarm, seemed my alarm was always triggered, then talking to a bunch of guys, **** i did it many many years ago, Its easy to lift the bike up and put a dolly under it, let alone everything is right there to **** with, ignition, fuel lines, these arent the most secure machines.

#20 ·
My hammer has a ring on the frame and a ring on the triple tree. When it's on the kick stand, and the front wheel is turned all the way left, they line up so you can put a padlock in there. Never used it, and only felt like I should have one time when I pulled off the highway to a ****ty area. Too tired to go to the next exit, so I rolled the dice.

I know nothing will stop someone that is motivated or skilled, but usually a little deterrent is all you need. If it's a pain in the ass to take your bike, but the one next to yours is easy, they will usually go for that one. Kinda like being in the woods. You don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your friend.

#21 ·
Well they can mess with my ignition wires as much as they want, but unless they want to spend time getting into the fairing and re-joining the two cut wires in there from when i put the DGD immobilizer in, then that bike isn't going anywhere without a dolly to push it onto a trailer or into a van etc. or be at least 4 to five strong to lift it into onto a trailer or van as when I travel it has the fork lock, brake rotor lock and of course the fob is always with me.....

What I am saying is they will need time if they want it but are only one person..... :angel4:

#23 ·
I only stay at motels where I can park infront of my room door.
I have a motion sensor alarm.

#24 ·
Here are a few ideas...

Maybe in the Hotel gym

...or an empty conference room.

• Haha
Reactions: VicVisionBulldog
#25 ·
I can understand hiding the Harley in the room with you, as you wouldn't want all passerbys knowing you riding a Harley, but the Victory should be displayed and be proud.....:angel4:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.