VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some first hand info on this. ie. shipping , tax, red flags, any advice.

Seems to be some good deals out there------but I dont want to dive in blind.

Thank you......Tarman

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Make sure the users has a high positive rating or is a dealer. There are allot of dealers using Ebay to wholesale out their bikes.
Ask allot of questions so you have an email trail.
Do not buy outside of Ebay even if the price is better.
Dont use Western Union, use only credit card or PayPal for security.
Check shipping rates with independant companies.
Ask for high res images to see condition.
Run vin number through your dealer to find out if bike is an insurance job. (dont know if carfax works for bikes)
Use a third party escrow service if you have any doubts.
Be sure to ask if title is in hand.
I have bought many cars on Ebay and had good experiences. Only problems have been on two engines.
Good luck and I hope that helped...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could'nt ask for more!
I imagine your in the US , I wonder what headaches Ill have bring the bike over the border? I live in Canada.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Tarman

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Hey, no problem. There are allot of great deals out there if you can pay cash. I have purchased vehicles from Canada and overseas and had them imported in with no problems. But they were all older then 25 years and fall under different requirements. Not sure what you have to go through but I am sure someone in One Thumbs posse has done it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely cash since no financing would be available in the US understandably. All the same Ill have to contact Canada customs and find out what hoops there are to jump through. Or find a deal through ebay.ca.

I live in the west coast in British Columbia and Im sure shipping is a killer. How does this play out usually?

Thanks one more time

Tarman.

·
Registered
425 Posts

I bought a used "tink" around bike on ebay last November (08) for sentimental reasons (over 700cc). It was a straightno hassledeal. The seller had the highest ebay rating for customer satisfaction. The bike (approx 800lbs)was shipped from West Virgina to Seattle,WA. Cost: $681.I arranged shipping through the AMA's recommended shipping company, FederalCompanies. The bike was strapped to a pallet, put on a truck,and brought directly to my house. It arrived with absolutely NO damage, scrapes, scuffs etc. They (Federal) did a super job and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.I contacted Brandy Lumpkin, Federal Companies, 800.747.4100, ext 218. Federal used a checklist for both pick up and delivery acceptance. email: [email protected] She'll email you a quote based on your particulars e.g., bike size, location of pick up/delivery etc. Once again I don't have any relationship with this company. I am simply well pleased with the job they did! By the way, there was a way wicked snow storm in the east and I didn't expect them to be able to pick up or deliver my bike. They did and, in fact, delivered it 6 days ahead of its scheduled arrival! Talk about GOOD service! I wasduly impressed!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These guys sound promising for sure. When the time comes Ill give them a shout.
Im sure they'll know there way around when it comes to cross border shipping as well.

He, he, did the guy who delivered your bike have a shiney nose, antlers and go by the name of Rudolf? ---------you know, considering how they got through the snow storm and all ;)

Thanks for the imput Thumper, ....it's really appreciated.

Tarman

·
Registered
425 Posts

Tarman1: Your're welcome! Santa did come by the house buthe didn't bring yet another bike. My wife would have barred him at the door!By the way, a little additional info from the invoice: The actual shipping fee was $518, fuel surcharge was $115, added insurance (added valuation for my purchase beyond what the shipping company provided) was $28, the handling fee (setting up thepick up/delivery and associated paperwork)was $20.Federal really did an excellent job...

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

tarman1 said:
Definitely cash since no financing would be available in the US understandably. All the same Ill have to contact Canada customs and find out what hoops there are to jump through. Or find a deal through ebay.ca.

I live in the west coast in British Columbia and Im sure shipping is a killer. How does this play out usually?

Thanks one more time

Tarman.
Hey, I was in BC a couple of months ago... Yeah no point, just thought I throw that in...lol

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I sold a car to someone in Calgary a couple years back and getting it into Canada did require some work. Specifically, he needed to arrange with a local dealer to "sponsor" the car through customs and impound it until the "federalization" work was done by Canadian Tire. Things like DRL's, KPH speedometer, etc. all need to be in place before he could take ownership. I also needed to provide from Volvo NA, via the dealer, a letter stating the car had no outstanding recalls.

You will also need the title to accompany the car through Canadian customs and use a freight forwarder that can hand the car off from their US subsidiary to their Canadian subsidiary as it's still "impounded" until the receiving dealer in Canada certifies the federalization work is complete. There are many car haulers that provide this service. All told the process added about $800 to the cost of the car, aside from the shipping.

It appears that most of this applies to motorcycles as well. Here are some links that can help

http://www.importcartocanada.info/
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=205109
http://www.riv.ca/

Check out the RIV site. You go into the site, select the tab for importing a vehicle and fill out a multi-part form. It then creates a complete checklist for you to follow to bring the motorcycle into Canada, all the way up to final inspection and registration.

As for the issues with eBay, all of the previous advice is spot on.

One additional thing, if you find something post up a request on this or any other forum you frequent to see if someone local the the seller would be willing to take a first hand look at the bike. I've done this for others and had people do it for me.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
It looks like about 2,000 more to buy in the U.S. and take it to Canada. I would have to get a killer deal on that bike before going through all those gyrations.

Wow! The govt. on both sides has their hand in the til for everything. Canada is our greatest ally, business should be seamless and painless between the two nations.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

satxron said:
It looks like about 2,000 more to buy in the U.S. and take it to Canada. I would have to get a killer deal on that bike before going through all those gyrations.

Wow! The govt. on both sides has their hand in the til for everything. Canada is our greatest ally, business should be seamless and painless between the two nations.
Yeah, what happened to NAFTA...lol

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

I had checked into it when our dollar was at par in 2008.
I found out I could not import a current Year Victory as they had not made the import list for that year.
Some Canadians have imported from the US, Please tell us your stories, Good or Bad.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
satxron said:

Not sure where you got the $2000 from but when I sold my car a few years back the extra cost to the buyer was about $800 of which $500 went to the import dealer he used to handle the paperwork. The GST/PST (tax) is something Canadians pay regardless where they buy the car from, just like most Americans pay sales tax.

As for NAFTA there is a concession for that. The standard 6.5% import tariff is waived for any vehicle made in North America. So, if you buy a bike made in Japan you'll pay 6.5% more than if it was made in the US.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
OneThumb said:
I had checked into it when our dollar was at par in 2008.
I found out I could not import a current Year Victory as they had not made the import list for that year.
Some Canadians have imported from the US, Please tell us your stories, Good or Bad.
Interesting because now it looks like every Victory is included

(from the Canadian government website: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section8_0.htm)

POLARIS INDUSTRIES INC.​
All models
See explanations section​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
I added the shipping because it goes through a shipping expediter. If it was normal tax that is no big deal. $300.00 is pretty easy.

Personally I would fly or drive to get it before paying 800 to have have it shipped. Not sure if I could get it over the border though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all for taking the time out to fill me in. Like I said earlier,
I need to find a great deal to make it work. That being said , there are some smokin deals to be had in the U.S. so if I only have to pay $800- $1000 dollars and then pick the bike up at the border ------well who knows. Ill check into the websites provided, search it out and take it from there. ------And ya , so much government involvement everywhere you turn........all with $$$signs attached. You'd think with the long shared history between these two nations the situation would be much less complicated.

Again, heaps of gratitude---------

Tarman

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.