VOG Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stationed in Fairbanks, AK and have come across a strange thing. A guy has left his GSXR in our "lemon lot" for about 2 months and for the past few weeks, the temp. has dropped to below freezing many of the nights and has even reached a few degrees below 0 on some nights. My question is what will need to be replaced because of something like this. I can't imagine this being an ok option. Any inquires will be appreciated, thanks.
Stupid people make me mad!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Unless he put gas stabilizer in, he'll have sour gas by spring, which maybe shows up in what, June? Water will condense in the crankcase and get in the oil, not good. The battery will be dead and might take a charge. If left uncovered, it'll be rustier.
Other than that, I don't think the cold wiil do harm. IMHO

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Tires may take a hit as well if left out in the elements.

I lived up in Truckee CA where temps often dropped below freezing and never suffered any probs. I was able to go out & start up my bike and ride on dry days tho.

Check on PASHNIT on this one. Lots of GSXR riders there that are pretty knowlegable & even a couple up in AK!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Not sure about your sustained temperatures up there, but it is possible for the oil to freeze. Typical motor oil freezes at -30 and synthetics between -35 and -55 it takes about 12 hours at these temps to acheive freezing ( wind chill does not apply). ALso, as mentioned above you have to be carefull of condensation, it raises the freezing temperature of oil. Will it hurt the bike, I have no idea but it doesn't sound like a good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.