VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Cross Country Tour that I just had dyno'ed after put a Maximus fuel tuner on it. Bike runs beautifully with the exception that when I decel and get to 1700 rpm the bikes learches for a brief moment and then is fine. Needless to say this is really annoying and somewhat dangerous, especially if you are in a turn and letting the engine break to slow down. Someone said this has always been there but I am just noticing it more because the bike is so much smoother running from being dyno. I also heard that Victory installed an additional spring in the torque converter and by removing it will solve the problem. Anyone else out there having my same good fortune?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
That RPM is way too low for this engine. Keep the RPMs above 2k-2.5k and shift between 3k-3.5k. Mine will lurch just below 2k, I don't like it but after a while get used to realizing when I'm getting too low and downshift before it happens.

Reactions: iabob

·
Registered
390 Posts
It is normal for these bikes, I dont care for it either but am used to it. I hear there is a tourque compensator mod that's eliminates it. Kyle Crandal from KMC power sports does them.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I have a 2015 Cross Country Tour that I just had dyno'ed after put a Maximus fuel tuner on it. Bike runs beautifully with the exception that when I decel and get to 1700 rpm the bikes learches for a brief moment and then is fine. Needless to say this is really annoying and somewhat dangerous, especially if you are in a turn and letting the engine break to slow down. Someone said this has always been there but I am just noticing it more because the bike is so much smoother running from being dyno. I also heard that Victory installed an additional spring in the torque converter and by removing it will solve the problem. Anyone else out there having my same good fortune?
Try downshifting earlier.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Because your engine speed is so slow the natural slop in the torque compensator and the transmission dogs is exaggerated. The speed of the road on the rear wheel may actually push the slop forward causing a lunge. There is a natural slop in the transmission as it uses dogs and slots. And there is natural slop in a torque compensator as it uses a cam/ramp tightened with spring pressure. If you can keep the centrifical forces of the engine spinning, the slop isn't noticeable, but when you allow the bike to nearly come down to an idle while moving, the road may push the slop forward and cause a lunge.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The injectors are off at zero throttle on decel until 1700 RPM when they cut back in. At that point the engine has power again and the bike will lurch for a second. The easiest way to stop it is hold the throttle cracked open on decel. or downshift above 1700 RPM.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I am not a too technical person but what Vicbuilder says makes so much sense to me, and yes all the others.... Do not ride the bike at any speed with revs lower than 2000.... And yes i do so but only in places that demand ten kph or so, this XCT of mine will idle along at this speed and yes the revs are lower than 1700 at idle..... I mostly do these rides with just a tad throttle and feathering (if that is the right phrase) the rear brake to keep t this level of slow riding... I find it is much smoother....

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
The bottom line is you're atleast 1 gear too high for this motor, they need more RPM's to run properly.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
"The bike lurches when I do that"
So... don't do that.

The crankshaft and associated flywheel, pistons, rods in these engines is like 48 pounds of rotating and reciprocating mass.

View attachment 500117

The primary drive is comprised of HUGE gears....

View attachment 500119

There is a point between acceleration, deceleration... injectors not firing on decel and starting to fire when the engine approaches idle speed... where it gets a little hucka-buck.

You can: Shift down again or pull in the clutch. Keep rpm over 2000. It's not a diesel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.