BIG FAT Front Tire. 5.5 wide wheel & 180 Tire —Not 160— | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

BIG FAT Front Tire. 5.5 wide wheel & 180 Tire —Not 160—

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by mcRIDERmc, Jan 20, 2021.

?

Should I go with the 18”x5.5 or the 21”x5.5

1. 18” x 5.5

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. 21x5.5

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. mcRIDERmc

mcRIDERmc New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory XCT
    Hello All. I am finally going to pull the trigger this year and do a fat front conversion on my 2012 CCT. I have been looking into this for quite some while and I am ready to make some big changes to my bike. I want to do something really out of the norm that will set my bike apart from the rest!

At first I was liking the look of the 160 wide tire on the stock 18” wheel like so many others have done And was going to go that route , but then I started seeing so many Harleys riding on big wide 5.5” wide front wheels with 180 wide tires, and I have fallen in love with the look of it. So Menacing! But of course as I looked around I found a million options for those bikes and few if any for our Victory’s. I have found one company that is offering a full on kit including the wheel, tire, unpainted fender, optional ABS wheel and matching brake rotors if you want them. They will also sell you a rake kit if you want to go taller than 21”. That was on Vic baggers, and I even talked to Eric who was very informative, however I didn’t love any of the wheel designs they had to offer. Then I found a billet wheel made by Sinister that Conquest customs was offering that I really like. Scott at Conquest has also been very helpful on the phone and I’m leaning towards buying from them.

For reference the stock tire is 18” tall and 3.5” wide and the normal tire is a 130 wide with many folks stretching a 160 wide onto their stock setup.

My question for you all is 2 fold:

1.) has anyone done or seen a fat front Victory cross bike and do you have any pictures of them? And

2.) What does everyone think about 18” vs 21” with the 180? In my opinion the 18” tall wheels just don’t fill up the space between the fender and the bottom of the fairing near enough. (I understand that the suspension needs space to move). But I really like the way that the 21” seems to match the proportions of the rest of the bike so much better. In talking to Scott at conquest he mentioned that a 180/50/21 is starting to approach the height of a standard 23” so he and Vic baggers both recommend a rake kit. Is the rake kit hard to install?

For reference purposes the two setups I’m comparing are the same model wheel but different tire brands in these sizes

18x5.5 wheel with a Dunlop Elite 180/55/18
    Vs
    21x5.5 wheel with a Vee Rubber 180/50/21
    (I have heard mixed reviews about the Vee Rubber brand but i believe they may be the only ones making a 180 wide 21)

I’m not exactly rich but I’m coming into some extra play money so money is not really an object on this project. The way I’m seeing it I’m building my dream bike that I will keep for a long long time so I’m ok dropping 3-4K to do it right. I know it hasn’t been done much (which makes me want to do it even more) but that said I don’t know if ill get more feedback. Anyone’s experiences or opinions would be a great deal of help in making my decision.

I’m also going to post this on one other vic forum incase I reach a different audience. I appreciate anything you all might have to add to the conversation

Thanks!!!!!

2. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Screenshot_20210119-132819_Facebook.jpg Saw this on FB for sale @$20k

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mcRIDERmc

mcRIDERmc New Member

Victory XCT
    Jmstang302. Thanks!!! In my opinion that looks so freakin awesome!!! I’m going to guess that’s a 21” tall the way it’s filling up that space above the fender. Do you remember any of the details? Did you see that recently?

4. jmstang302

Saw it yesterday, couldn't find it again.

21x 5.5 w/180 rubber.

Got a link? I have 1 to do and it would be easier this way. Still no eta for the rear end...

5. jmstang302

6. mcRIDERmc

mcRIDERmc New Member

Victory XCT
    Thanks Man! I was actually able to find him and get in touch with him. His set up is in fact a 21x5.5 with a 180 but his bike is a magnum and has a lot of other custom parts on it, so even he thought I should stick with the 18" Wheel. Also just incase anyone whos is reading this is looking into doing this he told me that his bike was done using Ruthless Designz so I will be calling them next to see if they can send me what im looking for.

7. jmstang302

With the loaded height higher on the XC clearance shouldn't be an issue. Although I've seen a 21" fender repeatedly dented on a XC, but I think that was supercharger plumbing not triple tree contact.

What's his reasoning?

8. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Imo going to a fat front tire ? I would stay 18” or 19”. Custom .....if you can even get one.
    the 18” will handle so much better. On a 21” wheel I think it knocks the bike out of proportion.
    Maybe a 140 to 160 for a 21” ?

9. jmstang302

Comes down to availability. Then are you willing to ride on a brand X tire?

A brother in our group still hasn't gotten comfortable with the Magnum setup on his XCT .

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. PreachSF

PreachSF Well-Known Member

Bullitt (07 Hammer S w/ Jackpot front end)
    talk to Scott at Conquest , 561-715-9494