VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in its own thread at the suggestion of another member:

This post is a warning to others in the Southwest Florida area, Destination Powersports in Punta Gorda, Florida runs a well known dealer scam where a dealer takes a vehicle on trade and then fails/refuses to payoff the loan balance as agreed in the sales contract.

You can do a google search on Dealer not paying off trade in and even consumer reports has written about this dealer scam.

I am sad to report that Destination Powersports in Punta Gorda, Florida has pulled this payoff scam on me, it is now 30 days since I traded in the Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low and Destination Powersports still has not paid off the loan on the Harley. I have been in contact with the dealer and they only give you the run-a-round.

Anyone who might live in the Southwest Florida area steer clear of Destination Powersports in Punta Gorda, Florida.

This is a scam that is pulled by dealers and can be one of three things:

1. The dealer is using your money as a free 30 day loan.

2. The dealer is using your money and letting you pay down the old loan while they wait to sell your trade in then paying off the loan at the lower amount or in a worst case still not paying off the loan.

3. The dealer is out of money and may be fixing to go out of business.

This not paying off the trade in loan is a well documented scam and it is called a scam.

I am posting this so that others who may live in the area and were thinking of buying a motorcycle, wave runner/watercraft or ATV from Destination Powersports will know that they are a dealer who will try to take advantage of their customers in the worst ways.

The dealer is also now refusing to talk to me which is telling me they may very well be in serious financial trouble and about to go out of business.

I will be hiring an attorney come the first of the month to start legal action in this matter, I will also look into seeing about the possibility of getting the Harley Davidson back due to breach of contract, of all the information I have read about this dealer scam the one thing that does not seem to come up is the person that traded in the vehicle being able to get back the traded in vehicle.

Destination Powersports currently has the Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low listed for sale on their web site even though they can not legally sell it nor can they even apply for a title for it due to their failure to payoff the loan on it to remove the lien.

Here is a link to Destination Powersports of my old Harley Davidson listed for sale:

2016 Harley-Davidson® FLHTKL - Ultra Limited Low 11299 | Destination Powersports

Remember that Destination Powersports cannot legally sell the bike nor can they title it due to their failure to payoff the loan and remove the lien that is on the bike.

·
Registered
960 Posts
W
I posted this in its own thread at the suggestion of another member:

This post is a warning to others in the Southwest Florida area, Destination Powersports in Punta Gorda, Florida runs a well known dealer scam where a dealer takes a vehicle on trade and then fails/refuses to payoff the loan balance as agreed in the sales contract.

You can do a google search on Dealer not paying off trade in and even consumer reports has written about this dealer scam.

I am sad to report that Destination Powersports in Punta Gorda, Florida has pulled this payoff scam on me, it is now 30 days since I traded in the Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low and Destination Powersports still has not paid off the loan on the Harley. I have been in contact with the dealer and they only give you the run-a-round.

Anyone who might live in the Southwest Florida area steer clear of Destination Powersports in Punta Gorda, Florida.

This is a scam that is pulled by dealers and can be one of three things:

1. The dealer is using your money as a free 30 day loan.

2. The dealer is using your money and letting you pay down the old loan while they wait to sell your trade in then paying off the loan at the lower amount or in a worst case still not paying off the loan.

3. The dealer is out of money and may be fixing to go out of business.

This not paying off the trade in loan is a well documented scam and it is called a scam.

I am posting this so that others who may live in the area and were thinking of buying a motorcycle, wave runner/watercraft or ATV from Destination Powersports will know that they are a dealer who will try to take advantage of their customers in the worst ways.

The dealer is also now refusing to talk to me which is telling me they may very well be in serious financial trouble and about to go out of business.

I will be hiring an attorney come the first of the month to start legal action in this matter, I will also look into seeing about the possibility of getting the Harley Davidson back due to breach of contract, of all the information I have read about this dealer scam the one thing that does not seem to come up is the person that traded in the vehicle being able to get back the traded in vehicle.

Destination Powersports currently has the Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low listed for sale on their web site even though they can not legally sell it nor can they even apply for a title for it due to their failure to payoff the loan on it to remove the lien.

Here is a link to Destination Powersports of my old Harley Davidson listed for sale:

2016 Harley-Davidson® FLHTKL - Ultra Limited Low 11299 | Destination Powersports

Remember that Destination Powersports cannot legally sell the bike nor can they title it due to their failure to payoff the loan and remove the lien that is on the bike.
Wow..that's sick man. Have you contacted authorities to see if they could just accompany you in to get your bike back and save you spending money on a lawyer?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can talk to the bank....

My bank pulled an asshole move on a dealer, I got the deal all drawn up for a trade-in, they cut me a check for what was owed.... So the 15k and change after trade was 6.9k and change, I got a check for that 6.9k and change... The dealer **** himself.. I was like "at least you don't have to worry about paying that loan off..."

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tenax66, it would not be considered theft but there are other civil and depending on what Destination Powersports does possible criminal violations as well. They may be in violation of the "Truth In Lending Act" and if they don't payoff the amount listed on the signed buyers contract and pay a smaller amount from a new payoff quote that could end up being financial fraud. That same if they outright refuse to payoff the Harley Davidson.

Nickr914, I am looking at getting Harley Davidson Financial Services involved to see if they could assist in getting the Harley back. I have already notified them that the Harley was traded in so they know it is in the possession of Destination Powersports. If they do not payoff the loan after I speak to an attorney which is to get a letter written to Destination Powersports regarding their failure to payoff the Harley I will start looking at legal ways to get the Harley back.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I' sure that one of the local TV stations has an investigative reporter that would LOVE to have your story to go after.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I received a phone call from Destination Powersports from the General Manager who's name is Jeremy, he was very apologetic said they made a mistake on there end. He asked me to call Harley Davidson Financial Services to authorize them to make the payoff on the Harley.

Harley Davidson Financial Services is kind of strange like that as they do require you to authorize them to deal with a third party for a payoff, likely has to do with financial fraud.

I called Harley Davidson Financial Services and authorized them to deal with Destination Powersports for the payoff. So now I will keep tabs on the account for the balance to make sure it goes through and I will give an update at that point as to the status of what is going on.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
RedVic,

Glad it seems to be working itself out. I have family in PG and have never been impressed with this dealer.
Though, admittedly, that's alot of writing/drama for an 8 hour fix by them.
Hope it continues on the right path.

WW

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

As of May 26, 2018 my online HDFS account is now showing a zero balance so it looks like they did a electronic transfer and HDFS credited it to the account, I will check it again on Tuesday and call HDFS to confirm the payoff and all is good on HDFS's side as Monday is Memorial Day a holiday.

I think two things kicked in over the past couple of days, the group over at the Venture site emailed and some even called the dealer and the dealer received the BBB complaint I filed. The BBB complaint will be closed out as the dealer responded and the incident was taken care of with the customer and the case will be closed.

It do think it was a combination of the two that got the dealer moving.

Here is the online HDFS account this morning, I just need to confirm it on Tuesday. Took 30 days, was it an honest mistake or was it the 30 day free loan, we will never know. But it looks like it is now paid off.

ACCOUNT OVERVIEW
Account Status: GOOD STANDING

Payoff Estimate: $11,412.32.
The payoff estimate is valid through 6/04/2018.

Outstanding Balance: $0.00

Next Payment Due: 6/01/2018
Total Amount Due: $0.00

·
Registered
960 Posts
Update:

As of May 26, 2018 my online HDFS account is now showing a zero balance so it looks like they did a electronic transfer and HDFS credited it to the account, I will check it again on Tuesday and call HDFS to confirm the payoff and all is good on HDFS's side as Monday is Memorial Day a holiday.

I think two things kicked in over the past couple of days, the group over at the Venture site emailed and some even called the dealer and the dealer received the BBB complaint I filed. The BBB complaint will be closed out as the dealer responded and the incident was taken care of with the customer and the case will be closed.

It do think it was a combination of the two that got the dealer moving.

Here is the online HDFS account this morning, I just need to confirm it on Tuesday. Took 30 days, was it an honest mistake or was it the 30 day free loan, we will never know. But it looks like it is now paid off.

ACCOUNT OVERVIEW
Account Status: GOOD STANDING

Payoff Estimate: $11,412.32.
The payoff estimate is valid through 6/04/2018.

Outstanding Balance: $0.00

Next Payment Due: 6/01/2018
Total Amount Due: $0.00
Good on you!

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
@RedVic I am glad to hear that this got resolved. It seems like your vigilance certainly was a key factor in getting things rolling. Either way, I'm glad it's resolved. Good job!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.