VOG Forum banner

Best Wind Screen to use

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Bueller 
#1 ·
HEllo Lads,

I'm 6ft tall and ride a Magnum and at 100kls the wind buffeting to the head is quite big. The question is what screen go i go with when I want to do a decent ride, I hate the look of a huge screen so the smaller the better ........

thanks in advance :)

Jeff

#2 ·
i use the klockworks flip windshield. but when i tour for long trips i use the cee baileys
im 6'2"

keep in mind the buffeting can be from below the fairing not just above.

#3 ·
#4 ·
9" windvest here.

There is a lot more to controlling the buffeting than just a screen. Do a search for "Buffeting" and user name @Diamond Jim

Reactions: tarteman
#6 ·
I'm 6', 30-32" inseam, I have tried many different setups, and I currently ride with the madstad brackets, 9" ness flip and fairing wind deflectors with zero air unless I direct it from the fairing delfectors.

#7 ·
REad em all and still lost as to what screen to get ?
so its not just as easy as adding a windshield these bikes direct air under and above the fairing. the madstad is good at killing the air over the top. but its an asthetics thing..if you like it. The air below is more complicated. The xc tour bikes had below fairing wind wings that were clear and did a good job of moving the air around the rider. but that was in conjunction with a huge windshield and hard lowers also.

I have the forged bars below. and it would create a windtunnel effect and blast me. So i bout the plastic inserts from JTD lowers and that in conjunction with a 13" screen...did the job so for the last 12,500 miles ive had no issue.

if you have no lower bars or anything. you might consider the fork mounted wind deflectors, and a decent sized windshield. Best of luck

#9 ·
9" Windvest, XCT clear lower fairing wings, XCT hard lowers, and the Bad Ace CFAD is my winning combo for wind management.

#15 ·
this weekend i went for a ride through the mountains here in Colorado. I have a klockwerks windshield, forged bars with inserts from jtd. and added the bad ace center deflector. Oddly didnt really see much a difference with that center deflector installed. It is in place and I'll leave it there. i know if i go on a tour trip like i do most years, i'll switch back to my ceebaileys and i'll be fine.

#17 ·
For $289 the Custom Motorcycle Windscreens - Gustafsson Plastics
Gustafsson Says his Victory Screen will stop the buffeting. I read a couple people say the windshield by itself stopped the buffeting.

In fact the owner says in 2011 A Vic XC owner asked for a shield to stop buffeting. They made the shield and the customers told them the buffeting was now gone. See the video.

I am almost about to pull the trigger on one.

#19 ·
For $289 the Custom Motorcycle Windscreens - Gustafsson Plastics
Gustafsson Says his Victory Screen will stop the buffeting. I read a couple people say the windshield by itself stopped the buffeting.

In fact the owner says in 2011 A Vic XC owner asked for a shield to stop buffeting. They made the shield and the customers told them the buffeting was now gone. See the video.

I am almost about to pull the trigger on one.
interesting this arose. this weekend i rode with a cross country rider who had that screen on. he still complained of buffeting.

#21 ·
i would agree lowers are key in conjunction with a half decent windshield. when i tour on the magnum im using the ceebaileys.

#22 ·
Dare I mention.....I put the madstad 9" shield on my magnum. Got rid of most of the wind. Stopped my helmet from dancing around at 80mph on the highway. Also, stopped it for the gf as well. However, while riding one day I found if I put my arm up across my chest I stopped all kinds of air coming up my legs. So I just bought me some fork wind deflectors from a guy here in wisconsin and they should be shipping today or tomorrow. So when they show up I'm thinking I'll be golden.

#23 · (Edited)
I have only been out on my new bike for just a few rides in the great lakes **** spring weather. This is my first fairing bike so I have been doing some research. I did pull the trigger on the most expensive 11 inch screen on the market. I am 6'1 and we think 11 will be enough.

Here is what I will be doing and what I am armed with.
  1. I will install the 11 inch and see how I like it.
  2. I will then install the Factory XC tour Windshield and test the diff. It will then be removed from study.
  3. I have a couple Bad Ace Billet Tank Wings that got a lot of positive feedback on Fakebook. I will add these after some notes without.
  4. I will install Forged bars. Take notes and get used to this setup.
  5. I will then install Soft Close outs on the forged bars and see how well that helps in cool early morning chills and of course buffeting.
Please don't hesitate to post a suggestion or a question. I despise helmets. I have a Bell Pit Boss Half Helmet I will be throwing in the study just for the hell of it. I have almost no experience with the helmet. Its been sitting on a shelf for 2 years.

#25 ·
I have only been out on my new bike for just a few rides in the great lakes **** spring weather. This is my first fairing bike so I have been doing some research. I did pull the trigger on the most expensive 11 inch screen on the market. I am 6'1 and we think 11 will be enough.

Here is what I will be doing and what I am armed with.
  1. I will install the 11 inch and see how I like it.
  2. I will then install the Factory XC tour Windshield and test the diff. It will then be removed from study.
  3. I have a couple Bad Ace Billet Tank Wings that got a lot of positive feedback on Fakebook. I will add these after some notes without.
  4. I will install Forged bars. Take notes and get used to this setup.
  5. I will then install Soft Close outs on the forged bars and see how well that helps in cool early morning chills and of course buffeting.
Please don't hesitate to post a suggestion or a question. I despise helmets. I have a Bell Pit Boss Half Helmet I will be throwing in the study just for the hell of it. I have almost no experience with the helmet. Its been sitting on a shelf for 2 years.
the reason the tour blocks so much air is 3 fold. it is windshield, fairing winglets, and the lowers. best of lock. i ride with that same helmet. removing the visor was the best decision i made regarding buffeting.

#27 · (Edited)
The Gust Shield is very nice and I really don't want to take it off and test the Tour Shield. Ready to move to the wings because I am getting some wind noise coming up from the rear of the tank. Moving my legs in will stop it. 54% of fakebook feedback said that they made a big diff. 20 something % said they made little diff.

Just spent about 40 miles with the Bell Pit Boss. I had no head whipping or buffeting even up to 80.
What I did have at around 75 was some small turbulence. This is coming up legs and chest and wouldn't be very noticeable with the bobster goggles.
I tried to get the outside viser to pull in the wind even with eyes in the sky and could not so thats good news for the lid. I cant blame the lid for anything. So with regular sun glasses / Helmet Visor up and down ....my only complaint is the turbulence @75 coming from rear sides of the tank.

Like some others have said the Gust Shield has solved the upper buff and turb. flow.

Next is the wings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.