VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get a GPS unit for my VV, but I am a little cornfused. I have read some earlier post concerning GPS units. I read about Zumo 660 and Garmin 2720. What are the ins and outs of each and which would be better? Thanks in advance. This is going to be a dealer install.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Although not the same model number as you're asking about, the Garmin 2820 is the exact duplicate that Victory installs under their own badge, but hundreds less. Might be worth a look. You can still get 'em refurished, if not brand new, for less than a couple hundred. Victory sells the mount. Google it.
The 2820 is discontinued, so Garmin no longer provides software upgrades, but you can still subscribe for map upgrades and Garmin provides desktop software at no charge, so you can work with your GPS with either Windows or Mac platform.
Even though it's "old" technology, I'm still impressed with it! There's a lot of functionality and power inside that little box!
Vince.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I installed a TomTom 630W, a new model for under $150 CDN. I used a Ram mount on the Victory cup holder bracket on the glutch side.

Works great and integrates with the sound system without a hitch. The power supply adapter with a car plug in, is plugged into the outlet in the sidebox on the left but it's noisey.

I heard someone has hard wired it into the wiring for the horn. I haven't found a solution for the power supply yet only because I don't want to cut into the wiring. If you're not shy about doing that... there are lots of options besides the Garmin Zumo are available.

Joan

·
Registered
154 Posts
Works great and integrates with the sound system without a hitch. The power supply adapter with a car plug in, is plugged into the outlet in the sidebox on the left but it's noisey.
[/quote]

Is the TT630 a water resistant\proof unit? How did you integrate it with your sound system?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 2720 or 2820 will seamlessly integrate with your wiring harness if you buy the old style mount. It's also only $100 and contains everything you need.

If you want to go with the 660 I would think that you will have to splice and run a second wire to the radio connector/ harness to get stereo sound into your radio because the 2008 and 09 GPS bike-side harness only provide for mono sound.

I am in the process of integrating the old GPS harness into the 2010 wiring and will report back on that when I'm done.

·
Registered
303 Posts

Dealer install and if money was no option? Definately the Zumo 660.
Love mine and did the whole cut and splice install myself on an 09 VV. Excellent sound integrated into bike, BlueTooth works excellent feeding directions to my CardoScala headset, GUI/software is excellent, reads names on streets so I don't have to look at unit, waterproof, better route mapping via numerous waypoints with ability to map online and dump to unit, etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
CVI-Cowboy said:
Is the TT630 a water resistantproof unit? How did you integrate it with your sound system?
[/quote]

No the unit is inside a waterproof box from RAM. I used a ball mount to mount it to the glutch lever assembly. The wiring goes through the grommet inside the left compartment where you would normally have the IPod. It's stereo to through the sound system on the bike. Powered by the outlet also in the compartment but as I say... it's noisy. I'm having it looked into.

I have to say that after using this TT630... I'm ready to pitch it in the lake! It sent us in circles in any city we went through! It does not give you the names of the streets until you're on the way to it. I like to know what street I'm going to turn on before I have to turn! I'm going back to Garmin! I lent this unit to a friend in a car while we rode the bikes. She was ready to strangle it ... if you can do such a thing. LOL

·
Registered
87 Posts
Man314 said:
Dealer install and if money was no option? Definately the Zumo 660.
Love mine and did the whole cut and splice install myself on an 09 VV. Excellent sound integrated into bike, BlueTooth works excellent feeding directions to my CardoScala headset, GUI/software is excellent, reads names on streets so I don't have to look at unit, waterproof, better route mapping via numerous waypoints with ability to map online and dump to unit, etc.
sounds like a better alternative to what I used. Hey you're in Iowa!!! you don't need a GPS LOL Ok... I know you probably travel to other states.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Alan
I'm not sure at this point. I'm not in a hurry about it since I've already got the darned Tom Tom. I'm going to try to return it. I thought the Garmin 660 was old technology and had some issues???? Does it work in cities? That was the problem with the Tom Tom. Great for lane changes and advance notice for changing lanes, great sound and ability to hook up on the bike... but whew! lousy for city directions.

I have to head up to Peak soon and get my warranty work done on the headlamp assembly... and a few other issues taken care of :)

·
Registered
92 Posts

TOMTOM Rider II used here. Very good product, easy to use, blutooth to the Scala. Bluetooth to the phone as well. I can see who is calling and deny or accept if it is an emergency. I can also pull off the road and make a phone call through it as well. the touch screen works well with the gloves and I can set it up for (R) or (L) hand use. Waterproof. Speed indicator, let's you know the posted speed and your speed, will flash red and beep if you are going more than five miles over the limit. (how does it know the posted speed?) Magic iguess. Has an extra feature for gas prices which I bought. Good feature.
I just did not want to spend $500- up for a GPS. And on top of that the wife liked to the TOMTOM and paid half for it becasue of it.
Not a bad deal. She found it on the either the HSN or QVC web specials.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
JoanB said:
Hey Alan
I thought the Garmin 660 was old technology and had some issues???? Does it work in cities?
I had the Garmin 660 on the Spyder RT and it worked flawlessly delivering directions in cities. I also had the 2820 on the Vision and it too worked well.

Considering I have a lousy sense of direction, a good GPS is a life saver for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up getting the Zumo 660, only thing is it does not come through my headset and I am not happy about that. I am going to call the dealer and find out if it was installed wrong or if it just doesn't work through my headset.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.