VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a new windshield o n my bike and I'd like to keep it looking clear. Is using Plexus worth the cost? I've heard Pledge furniture polish works just so good.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
soap and water here, ride through rainstorms, get real close to people using wiper fluid.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
I use Plexus but have and will use Pledge as well. I'll use either all over the bike.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Probably helped with the guardrail... ? That's some slick ****!

I've also used Pledge, lemon scented. Other brands and scents don't work the same. But usually steer clear of using anything on the windshield.

And for chrome, Grime Boss hand cleaner wipes cleans chrome very well. Gets the bugs and melted footwear right off.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
That's probably where I went wrong. I washed the bike with soap and water before that ride. Plexus would have had me slide down the rail and around the corner before getting back on the road without a scratch.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If you are cleaning bugs off your windshield, Dryer Sheets and warm water will take them right off. I always follow that with a light wax cleaner. I have a can of the Harley stuff now but have used other brands and they all are about the same to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bugslide for its intended purpose. Quick detailed for any other time.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Honda spray cleaner and polish works great, been using it for years.

Reactions: Drparkwood

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Mild soap and water for my windshield. For stubborn bugs, I just soak the cloth it hot hot water and drape it over the windshield for a minute.

For the rest of the bike, I use Maguiers black quick detailer. I’ve never “washed” the bike. Always looks great.

Reactions: RLV

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
This will blow your mind and works amazingly well. Unfortunately it's only good when home. Collect a bunch of rain water in a bucket and use it to clean your shield. Simply soak a rag in rain water and gently wipe your shield. There's something about the chemical makeup of rainwater that cuts through bugs like a hot knife through butter. No scrubbing required at all. The first time I tried it my mind was truly blown.

For those dry spells in the season when you can't collect rain water, I use the product below which works well. I bought a gallon of the stuff 4 years ago and still have a half gallon left. I also bought a small travel spray bottle from Target/Walmart and keep it filled with the stuff in my right lower glove box along with a cloth diaper. There's nothing like using cloth diapers as bike rags, they hold up a long time and wash well.

My uncle uses this product to "wash" his entire bike. I'm not a fan of that as I prefer a hose with soap and water. (Dried with leaf blower.) With that said, my cousin cleaned my lowers with it once and I was impressed.

Amazon.com: Malco Showroom Shine Spray Wax 110401 (1 Gallon): Automotive

[91% of 60 Amazon reviews give it 5 stars! Hmm one of the reviewers is also using it on their Victory and posted a pic even. I wonder if they tried it after reading one of my other posts?]

I also like to condition my shield with this stuff a few times a season. I bought a bottle in 2012 and have barely put a dent in it. Whatever you do, NEVER use the bug squeegees at gas stations that you use on your cage. I did that once on a previous bike and scratched the crap out of my shield.

Windshield & Visor Plastic Cleaner & Conditioner

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
This will blow your mind and works amazingly well. Unfortunately it's only good when home. Collect a bunch of rain water in a bucket and use it to clean your shield. Simply soak a rag in rain water and gently wipe your shield. There's something about the chemical makeup of rainwater that cuts through bugs like a hot knife through butter. No scrubbing required at all. The first time I tried it my mind was truly blown.

For those dry spells in the season when you can't collect rain water, I use the product below which works well. I bought a gallon of the stuff 4 years ago and still have a half gallon left. I also bought a small travel spray bottle from Target/Walmart and keep it filled with the stuff in my right lower glove box along with a cloth diaper. There's nothing like using cloth diapers as bike rags, they hold up a long time and wash well.

My uncle uses this product to "wash" his entire bike. I'm not a fan of that as I prefer a hose with soap and water. (Dried with leaf blower.) With that said, my cousin cleaned my lowers with it once and I was impressed.

Amazon.com: Malco Showroom Shine Spray Wax 110401 (1 Gallon): Automotive

[91% of 60 Amazon reviews give it 5 stars! Hmm one of the reviewers is also using it on their Victory and posted a pic even. I wonder if they tried it after reading one of my other posts?]

I also like to condition my shield with this stuff a few times a season. I bought a bottle in 2012 and have barely put a dent in it. Whatever you do, NEVER use the bug squeegees at gas stations that you use on your cage. I did that once on a previous bike and scratched the crap out of my shield.

Windshield & Visor Plastic Cleaner & Conditioner
Do you use the Showroom Shine on your windshield. It doesn't say it is safe for plastics on the bottle. At $21 a gallon it is a bargain and convenient if you can use it on the whole bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Do you use the Showroom Shine on your windshield. It doesn't say it is safe for plastics on the bottle. At $21 a gallon it is a bargain and convenient if you can use it on the whole bike.

Thanks
Yeah, I use it on my shield far more often than I use it on the rest of my bike. You can "wash" the entire bike with it as well. My uncle and two first cousins use it that way and claim I'm nuts for not doing the same. As previously mentioned, I prefer a hose with soap and water when it comes to washing my bike. As a side note, I've read that it is amazing on glass as well and doesn't leave any streaks. I haven't tried it myself, but it makes sense that it would work wonders on glass too.

Give it a shot, you won't be disappointing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Plexus all the way some buds have used Honda plastic cleaner little spendy. I heard the military used plexes on jet canopies. As I said I use plexus on windshield, helmet shield and car and truck head lights. When I worked with plastic rapid prototyping we used Novis plastic cleaner this product comes in different levels of cleaning from rough to fine polish. Still like plexus over all. When we had fogging on production parts plexus to the rescue.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts

That's probably where I went wrong. I washed the bike with soap and water before that ride. Plexus would have had me slide down the rail and around the corner before getting back on the road without a scratch.
If you had used some of that slickity oil in your bike, you'd have just greased around that corner and never touched that guardrail . . .

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
My girlfriend, I will have to ask her what she uses.
A few weeks back I took a ride with a group. While my buddy and I waited for the others to show another group started getting there and were across the lot from us. This guy rides up with his girl on a very nice show pony. Custom paint, custom chrome, custom seat, whip, everything! That poor girl wiped that bike down for at least 20 minutes after they got there. I couldn't believe it. I think that's the only reason he brought her.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wow!
A few weeks back I took a ride with a group. While my buddy and I waited for the others to show another group started getting there and were across the lot from us. This guy rides up with his girl on a very nice show pony. Custom paint, custom chrome, custom seat, whip, everything! That poor girl word that bike down for at least 20 minutes after they got there. I couldn't believe it. I think that's the only reason he brought her.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.