VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the tires on the wifes 07 Kingpin and was about to take for a test ride and get the shine off the tires, I checked the belt when bike was on the lift and seemed kinda tight. I did the belt tension check using 12mm @ 10lbs and it was good all the way around ( no extreme tight spots ). I put the bike back on the ground and just reached down to get a feel on the belt and sure seemed awfully tight. Are you guys using the manual instructions as I did or have you found it better to go a bit more than 12mm? I know my Cross Country is 32mm which kinda makes more scence.
I'd really like to hear from Half Crazy as i know you run your bike hard and knowing my wife runs this bike more moderately , well the advice would be more guaranteed. If it wasn't my wifes bike I would just go looser.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I changed the tires on the wifes 07 Kingpin and was about to take for a test ride and get the shine off the tires, I checked the belt when bike was on the lift and seemed kinda tight. I did the belt tension check using 12mm @ 10lbs and it was good all the way around ( no extreme tight spots ). I put the bike back on the ground and just reached down to get a feel on the belt and sure seemed awfully tight. Are you guys using the manual instructions as I did or have you found it better to go a bit more than 12mm? I know my Cross Country is 32mm which kinda makes more scence.
I'd really like to hear from Half Crazy as i know you run your bike hard and knowing my wife runs this bike more moderately , well the advice would be more guaranteed. If it wasn't my wifes bike I would just go looser.
Thanks for any input.
I know I'm not Larry, hard to imagine there would be more than one. I personally would run it on the loose side only because tight side would strain it, stretch it. There is a +- tolerance, use the + IMO.

I have seen one adjustment procedure in THIS THREAD , but it appears that he uses the OEM measure with a load on it. I dunno about doing that as I put mine on the + side and it still feels good when warm and loaded with bags on the back. Not my weight, can't bend that way, but........

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cobra I may have been misleading , I definitely would also like to hear from others as well as HC , and appreciate the input.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took it out for an hour for trial run, belt felt super tight, I think it’s actually giving a binding indication coming to a stop.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I adjusted the belt tension for my Vegas according to the Victory shop manual I have. It specifies 1/4" deflection for 10 lbs. After adjusting the belt made a grinding noise at slow and medium speeds. It may have been making this noise at higher speeds since I may not have been able to hear it.

Bottom line; I readjusted the belt to 1/2" deflection at 10 lbs and the noise went away. I will stick with 1/2" in the future no matter what the manual says.

Reactions: wickman

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Took it out for an hour for trial run, belt felt super tight, I think it's actually giving a binding indication coming to a stop.
Because of the material used in these belts, they shrink when they get hot. This is why you should check belt tension when they are overnight cold. Just because its tighter after an hour riding doesn't mean its too tight. Set it per the manual, and you'll be good. Too loose and you will here a whirring sound when you coast and are in gear. Too tight is hard to diagnose from sounds or feel, but if it is too tight, you can damage the main bearings at the main output shaft. Too loose can cause premature wear on the belt and pulleys.

·
Registered
474 Posts
On a different forum I created a similar thread as this...and yeah, most people are using a greater deflection spec. My Hammer has a deflection spec of 6mm +/- .5 mm. I found that ridiculous, especially considering that this is when the tire is off the ground and bike is cold. Prior Hammers had a spec of 12mm. The only difference I could find between the earlier models is that they had .9 inches of greater suspension travel. I'm using about 15mm cold and adjusted it after the 500 mile service. Using that spec once I sit on the bike the belt is already snug. After riding for about a mile, the belt is even tighter. Once the bike is fully hot, belt again is even tighter. I can't imagine using the 6mm cold spec with the wheel off the ground.

http://www.victoryforums.com/35-victory-general-discussion/194009-belt-deflection-spec.html

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I just put the 3rd rear tire on my Vegas. I haven't touched the adjustment bolts in about 25k miles. I had to to loosen it a touch and get it off of the right edge of the pulley shortly after I got it.

If you are happy with the belt you shouldn't touch the adjusting bolts to swap out a tire. There's really no need to.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I need to throw in a couple of bits here. Belts don't shrink when they get hot, and cold is a relative term.

Depending on the bike there are a few different deflection measurements. Some are 12mm (1/2") some are 6mm(1/4") some are 32mm(1 1/4"). It varies with the design of the suspension.

Here's my suggestion. Whichever yours is, set the deflection when the bike is about 80°. (My shop manual states between 60° and 80° is critical for accuracy and I prefer the belt be not tight enough to potentially cause unnecessary bearing wear ) In this area that means I have to take the bike for a ride first for most of the year so the rear wheel pulley heats up to a point that is only slightly cooler than my hand to the touch. As luck would have it, it's mid summer and the temp in my garage is 79° so close enough. If I were with some of you gents in the deep south where the ambient temperature gets close to lava I'd have to do the adjusting in the late evening or find some other cooler location.

From what I've seen in past threads on the matter there seems to be different write-ups in various manuals even of the same bike type. I set mine for my bike after the first 1000 miles to allow for initial stretching and it hasn't been touched since. It still tracks true, there's never been a squeak and there is no sign of wear.

As mentioned by others, once it's adjusted after allowing for break-in there's no need to change it. I check it once in awhile by twisting the belt and I can get a 90 degree twist but that's relative to me and not a defined measurement to pass on.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
all good information but in the end whatever works for you is good IMO. if the belt is quiet + not overly tight after a decent ride in warmer weather your prolly good!!! after installing my 3rd rear tyre i realized NOT loosening everything a lot not only works but is easier + quicker!!!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
its an unfortunate fact that mistakes in specs happen!! i always get a factory service manual with a new to me ride, this being my first Vic the manual has been very valuable as i am a DIY guy!! this forum as well as the other vic forum has been a great help spending my $$$$ wisely!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
All this chatter about the manual being incorrect has me thinking it might be. In the manual I have for the XC it states 32mm +-.5mm (1 1/4 =- 1/32) using the 10lb deflection (on jack at ambient). I been using it but it just seems a bit loose to me from what I've seen elsewhere. Can anyone validate these numbers?? Haven't had issue, don't wanna start anytime soon.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
All this chatter about the manual being incorrect has me thinking it might be. In the manual I have for the XC it states 32mm +-.5mm (1 1/4 =- 1/32) using the 10lb deflection (on jack at ambient). I been using it but it just seems a bit loose to me from what I've seen elsewhere. Can anyone validate these numbers?? Haven't had issue, don't wanna start anytime soon.
Yes correct for the XC and Visions

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.