VOG Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my KP new tires done at a Vic dealer.
I went for a few hundred mile ride afterwards.

After I got home, I noticed a fine black dust mostly on the left, (Non belt side) of the rear rim.

Is it tire dust, belt dust, road debris? I don't know, but it concerned me enough to look at the belt.
In the rear pulley there is a fair amount of space to the left of the belt, to the right is only about that of a credit card.
The belt looks ok, as in no fraying.

Do I need to adjust the alignment?
I read that if needed it is done on the left side adjuster in very small increments.

Also if needed, would you do this on a stand while running?

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
That belt spacing is ok if it's not noisy. They shouldn't have had to touch the adjusters. I would look to make sure the adjustment nuts are all the way forward against the swingarm. Could also be rubber from the new tires breaking in or brake dust.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The belts always ride against one side or the other. But it shouldn't be rubbing hard against the side. It's not hard to adjust. Put it on a stand, check the tension with a tension gauge and adjust the belt side until the tension is right, then you just adjust the opposite side until the markers on both sides of the swing arm are even. That's how I do it and it's always fine.

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
The belts always ride against one side or the other. But it shouldn't be rubbing hard against the side. It's not hard to adjust. Put it on a stand, check the tension with a tension gauge and adjust the belt side until the tension is right, then you just adjust the opposite side until the markers on both sides of the swing arm are even. That's how I do it and it's always fine.
Do it when cold and had to redo mine after a tire change, because of that I believe. I didn't ask if that touched the adjusters and assumed they did...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.