VOG Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts
I knew they downsized the oil cooler once didn’t know they did it twice, that’s awesome

Discussion starter · #82 ·
I agree with your wanting to see a dyno graph. The question I have is: Would a 117" kit be enough with a driveline change from a belt to a chain like some of the other bikes had?

That way you could more easily get the gearing suitable for the track etc. The cams and the tuning could be selected for top end and the rear sprocket for the track. If a 177" Victory could put a solid 135 Hp and Trq to the rear wheel, wouldn't gearing do, much not all, the rest? After all, the 106 nomenclature of having 4 valve heads and overhead cams is exactly where the (Victory) Challenger motor DNA came from.

Most of the riders were simply spectacular as well. Similar in golf where someone like Tiger Woods with a $40 set of garage sale clubs would completely beat a 'club pro' with a $4,000 set of clubs. It's the same reason bench racers never win anything, but actual racers through experience can.
I watched a few episodes of the builds. There was a lot of trial and error to get these things as good as they could be for now. I think they learned plenty in real time racing .

I finally got around to watching this. I was supposed to be there to watch it live, and we actually did ending up going anyway. We tried getting in on Saturday morning anyway. I begged the guy "just to peek" but they wouldn't let us in... Bastards! :badgrin:

Anyway, I got a real hoot out of this. It's pretty clear the Indian had the legs to dominate. Were those stock engines? No way. Either way, it's pretty clear that the new engine architecture beat the old stuff. And it will again. And again! Personally, I would like to see at least one more round just to see if HD can get closer. Great skill on the part of the riders. They were hustling them for sure!

Discussion starter · #84 ·
I finally got around to watching this. I was supposed to be there to watch it live, and we actually did ending up going anyway. We tried getting in on Saturday morning anyway. I begged the guy "just to peek" but they wouldn't let us in... Bastards! :badgrin:

Anyway, I got a real hoot out of this. It's pretty clear the Indian had the legs to dominate. Were those stock engines? No way. Either way, it's pretty clear that the new engine architecture beat the old stuff. And it will again. And again! Personally, I would like to see at least one more round just to see if HD can get closer. Great skill on the part of the riders. They were hustling them for sure!
I said the same thing, no way stock Indian

@CrazyDiavelRider Fer sure, those S&S guys did some cool stuff to those bikes. Anyway, I loved watching this race! I think It would be fun to see what these guys have learned from doing this initial race and what they bring back for the next go. Will they be the same bikes? Will they be new /different bikes? I think the Trask guys did a really great job bringing that turbo Harley! It was still running pretty strong at the end, if anything I think the clutch was holding them back. I KNOW the Vance and Hines guys would like another shot at it! So let's give them some time to analyze data etc. and let's do this again!

That is one I never heard of before... what would be optimal engine temp?
My old Kp usually sits around 200°F under normal conditions.
To be honest I don't know what is optimal.. but I DO know that if you're riding back and forth to work when it's in the 20's and 30's (once in the teens) and it's only 5 min to work.... you don't reach it. I was letting the bike idle for a few min while I got geared up but I guess it wasn't long enough and sub-freezing air blowing through the air cooler made sure it didn't get there.

I knew they downsized the oil cooler once didn't know they did it twice, that's awesome
Yep... the original oil coolers were massive, pre-vegas. The V92's had an oil cooler that looked like something off a truck. In 08 they downsized again although not as drastically. That second time may have been more about aesthetics tho.. to fit between the frame rails more instead of across them.

That is one I never heard of before... what would be optimal engine temp?
My old Kp usually sits around 200°F under normal conditions.
HD propaganda for a Hot Motor since the EVO was born was well.....we designed it that way and our oil is engineered to work hot and remove moisture from the engine. Only Harley Davidson Trademark Patent Pending Genuine and Authentic Motor Oil has the additives and engineering your Hot Motor needs. Thats the way it is. Superbly Engineered Motorcycles Rockers were put on our Willie G designed and Authentic Leather Vests say so. :biggrin: In fact, the only problem with our oiling system is the slowness and lack of capacity to get oil back to the tank. 1991 HD Motor Company Book of Motor / Chapter 7 / Paragraph 1936

HD propaganda for a Hot Motor since the EVO was born was well.....
The last HD I was on (FXDWG) was an 88 ... and my right thigh got uncomfortably hot sitting over the back jug. The HD never had an oil temp gauge of any kind - my Kp has the aluminum dipstick and temp gauge and even on the hottest days it never gets over 215°F, even when I am pushing the revs long and steady.

I would have liked to have seen a Guzzi or a Triumph in the mix too
Long time Moto Guzzi fan here but I don't think they make a bike that could hang in this potential new racing class. All indications are the 1400 is dead once current inventory is sold. Bummer as I'd love to see an 1800 Guzzi V-Twin in something like the new BMW 1800. It would be nice to have room for your feet with the Guzzi engine configuration.

215! In Houston I routinely run at 250, same aluminum temp dipstick, and see closer to 300 in heavy traffic.

I've wondered if I should run cooler plugs but I never heard any misses or pre detonation so....

I posted a video of the Beemer K1600 GA 2up on laguna seca... They had similar lap times as the slowest HD. Soup it up, drop a 200 lbs rider, drop the top box (which electronically limits the top speed), add stickier tires, I doubt even the Indian would keep up.

I posted a video of the Beemer K1600 GA 2up on laguna seca... They had similar lap times as the slowest HD. Soup it up, drop a 200 lbs rider, drop the top box (which electronically limits the top speed), add stickier tires, I doubt even the Indian would keep up.
Again it's the rider. That Indian outran 200 hp bikes set up for that track. Yes the BMW is a stellar performer but so is the Indian. We all watched how it handled, accelerated, and braked thru that track. We also watched how well the rider Tyler O'Hara rode it. The BMW is in a class all it's own. It walks away from the new Goldwing. Go adding and modifying it to a race bike and it could an amazing track bike.

So now that we have established the outcome of the best American Bagger at Laguna Seca we can go and add the European bikes and Japanese bikes to the equation. I think it's a great idea. It would be like the next level of competition. I would like to see a Rocket 3 bagger in there.

HD propaganda for a Hot Motor since the EVO was born was well.....we designed it that way and our oil is engineered to work hot and remove moisture from the engine. Only Harley Davidson Trademark Patent Pending Genuine and Authentic Motor Oil has the additives and engineering your Hot Motor needs. Thats the way it is. Superbly Engineered Motorcycles Rockers were put on our Willie G designed and Authentic Leather Vests say so. :biggrin: In fact, the only problem with our oiling system is the slowness and lack of capacity to get oil back to the tank. 1991 HD Motor Company Book of Motor / Chapter 7 / Paragraph 1936
Lmao let me tell you about HD oil. It's made at the Citgo plant on 39th st and Cicero ave in Chicago. The company I drove for hauled in bulk to the PA and Milwaukee plant for years. Nothing special about it. In fact I went in there to load tranny oil they loaded motor by mistake. Drained it top loaded it again and shipped it. Quality control at its best lol personally I never used their oil. Parts guys would say no oil with that filter ? You know we make our oil specifically for our motors. I'd laugh and say you barely make a descent bike now your in the oil business too !

Again it's the rider. That Indian outran 200 hp bikes set up for that track.
Agree the number one and two riders were amazing. I'm just thinking that in the straights the Beemer would build a huge gap and the extended lean angle would add more in the twists. Kobe vs Jordan argument at this point....

Maybe we will get to see the fight one day.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads
Lmao let me tell you about HD oil. It's made at the Citgo plant on 39th st and Cicero ave in Chicago. The company I drove for hauled in bulk to the PA and Milwaukee plant for years. Nothing special about it. In fact I went in there to load tranny oil they loaded motor by mistake. Drained it top loaded it again and shipped it. Quality control at its best lol personally I never used their oil. Parts guys would say no oil with that filter ? You know we make our oil specifically for our motors. I'd laugh and say you barely make a descent bike now your in the oil business too !
Heck those terribly disgruntled Citgo workers probably pissed in the oil before shipping it off.

Oh would I love 4 this series to materialize, a bagger class small medium & large, a steely class small medium & large. Ya know to groom riders from youth up. Within each group have stock to modified to unlimited. Is plenty of people that’d b all over another motorcycle form of racing that’s not drag or crotch rockets in Moto GP. Really would do so many positive thing for the motorcycling industry as a whole, from pushing innovation to introducing more people to the 2 wheeled world to providing thousands & thousands of new jobs. Everybody running around the pits on mini’s would promote the smaller CC machines to the public. You really do meet the nicest most interesting people on motorcycles so show it. Give us choices, options & keep moving the love of 2 wheels forward

81 - 100 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.