VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one tell me for sure whether 11.47 volts is enough to start my xct..... I do not want to put it back in to find that it won't.....

Had the bike sitting for about 2 1/2 months or more in "the shed" without starting it.... Battery was dead flat showing 0.24 on my multi tester.... Borrowed a battery charger from a friend and had it on this charger overnight from about 21:00 to 08:00 this am.... The charger still only shows the one led of its 4 that is supposed to show progress....

At 08:00 I disconnected and check battery again and it read 11.47. Will check again at 09:00 to see if it holds that or near that.... I really want to go for a ride as I am going into withdrawals.....

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
To weak, 12.66 is fully charged. Doubt 11.47 would turn it over.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was hoping other wise... I do have a jumper pack that works, but if the battery doesn't hold or wont charge any more that is not really a viable option.....

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably, but this is really a brand new battery, purchased last year... I used to have a small portable solar battery tender thingy attached at all times till some %$#%$%&^&*^ thieving bastard decided to pull the cable out of my bike and then because the plug was too big to pull through under the door sealer of the shed, just kept tugging till the wires gave way and no more solar battery charger thingy. The dang thing was sitting wedged in the door groove of the shed for a little over two years, and no problems.... Bloody scum bags.....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
At that voltage it's considered discharged. If it was a new battery last year there should still be a warranty on it. Take it back and have them check it. Perhaps your buddies charger didn't have enough umpffff to get the sulfates off. You may find there's nothing wrong other than it needs a decent charge or maybe get a freebee out of them.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do just that after I see if this new basic charger I just purchased will rejuvenate it.... in the past 3 hours or so it has gone from 11.47 volts to 12.7....... Actually the meter is fluctuating between 12.7 and 13.?? but too rapid to see exactly what the final readout is but it keeps coming back to the 12.7? all the time so I would say it is nearly fully charged again to the 13.8 that most go to.....

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Will do just that after I see if this new basic charger I just purchased will rejuvenate it.... in the past 3 hours or so it has gone from 11.47 volts to 12.7....... Actually the meter is fluctuating between 12.7 and 13.?? but too rapid to see exactly what the final readout is but it keeps coming back to the 12.7? all the time so I would say it is nearly fully charged again to the 13.8 that most go to.....
If the needle is fluctuating could be bad battery, I would say bad battery anyways from how much it was discharged...

However 12v battery only needs 12 volts, on the charger should be like a slow charge... I wouldn't leave the charger on.

My bike sat out in -15 degrees and covered in 5 ft of snow for 4 months, some dug out my bike and told me to for a ride(PMS), I said, no way that bike will start, I was wrong, turned key, and the fuel pump spun, hit started and that ***** came to life.

4 years that bike has the same battery and sits outside all year round, of course I don't have many electrical accessories on my kingpin(cigg lighter all I added), but I would make sure your bike doesn't have something always on, or maybe someone flicked a switch...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Fully charge it. Then get it load tested

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
A trickle charger needs 24 hours to do its job. 48 hours is better as it'll clean the plates off. A 10 amp charger will charge a battery in 1 to 2 hours but won't condition a battery like a 1.5 to 2 amp trickle charge.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tonight is the last night of no battery.... If it holds above the 12 volt mark come the am I will be putting it back in.... Its been about 30 hours sitting without any load on it now and it was still 12.6 at round 1800 today so even if it drops to 12.4 or 12.0 over night tonight I would say it is still a good battery.... In any case i am taking it back to the store tomorrow and yes they will load test and check it out for free and I am hoping just for my peace of mind they will replace with a new one....

I do have a question for any one having a guard dawg immobilizer fitted. Am I to expect that thing to still function after a month or two of no power. I really do not have any idea really as to how long the battery has been dead..... View attachment 494885

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update..... Dropped the battery off at the dealers that I bought it from, only 12 months warranty apparently, bought this one in October of 2016..... Gave it it them round 1300 or so and was told to call back in round 1630.... I did that and he came out and said it appears to be fine as to all there testing and charging etc... he also said that sometimes these things just do this for no apparent good reason and he wouldn't really trust it too much.... It wasn't a ploy to get me to buy another as they had none equivalent in stock as very little demand for them is what he said, and directed me to two other battery places in town to see if they may have equivalent...... He showed me the load testing thingy right there and then and said that he was giving it a little more than he would normally just to show me and it did appear to my untrained eye for this sort of thing to be doing what I imagined it did and he said it is working fine but still wouldn't trust it himself. He also said that the charge and amperage it was putting out would start his Pajero jeep no problems at all.....

Bottom line I guess is to use it till I can get a replacement as it is embarrassing to be dismantling that bloody bib thing in front just to put the jumper pack to it and start it and then reassemble. And I have so much trouble getting up off me bum when I sit on the ground nowadays..... as of now, 2043, it is still holding at 12.10 volts. I think it was 12.11v when I picked it up, and it has been just sitting there in the bathroom in the washing tub..... Approx 0.01v drop in around 4 1/2 hours.....

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Bottom line I guess is to use it till I can get a replacement as it is embarrassing to be dismantling that bloody bib thing in front just to put the jumper pack to it and start it and then reassemble. And I have so much trouble getting up off me bum when I sit on the ground nowadays....
I`ve connected the positive jumper cable to the 40 amp breaker to avoid suck foolishness.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I`ve connected the positive jumper cable to the 40 amp breaker to avoid suck foolishness.
Please tell me more.... Like which side (terminal of the breaker) to attach this and what do you do with the negative side of that cable.... Mine only have aligator clips and a special sort of plug to plug into the booster.....

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New question for the knowledgeable ones.... How hot should I allow this half dead battery get, charging with a 7 stage charger, 6 amp. This thing says that it can possibly rejuvenate a near dead battery by going through some phases of desulphating and trickle charging etc.... Just curious now as I will hopefully have a new battery tomorrow..... This thing gets up to round the 55, 56 degree Celsius so I take it off the charger round that temp. Is that too hot or can they be allowed to go even higher..... Just experimenting now for the fun of it and gain a little knowledge of what I can and cannot do in these situations..... The below video is a youtube review of the charger I have..... My main concern is the temperature that it is going to.....

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Not very hot. Motorcycle batteries should be charged with a 2 amp charger for best results.

From the Yuasa web site:
. When charging a motorcycle or other small battery, the battery charger should not exceed 3 amps.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.