VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it mandatory to remove the covers and fairings to get access to the battery, for removal? Can it be done, through the existing opening, through the front of the bike?

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
last time I did mine I had to pull the black plastic balance and remove the allen that holds the two aluminum trim pieces together. Reason being battery box tilts forward to make it easy to pull it out.
Bottom line yup go by book

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I just did mine for 1st time. All I did was take off bottom cover and kept wheel hard over left. Had no problem accessing everything. Just laid on ground.

Watched WD video but my way was easier. Plus my fender was on. Lol.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Shocking on what a poor witchdoctor. You don't have to unbolt all the aluminum trim.
When you go to unbolt battery cables ALL ways un bolt negative one First. Then do "positive" cable. When hooking up cables do "positive" one first

·
Registered
603 Posts
The negative, ground, is normally connected directly to the frame which then makes every other part made of conducting material connected to the frame, a grounded piece. Any hot, positive, wire only has to directly touch any of the grounded parts to get a short. Touch a hot wire with a screwdriver that is against the engine case and get a short.
With the ground removed from the post you can not get a short even if you put a wrench from the + post right to the frame. You would have to do that and reconnect the ground at the same time.
With the ground connected, all it takes is to have the wrench you are using to remove the hot ( + ) side terminal make contact with anything grounded to get a complete circuit and a short.
While removing the ground your wrench can touch the frame or any other chunk of metal and you are only touching ground to ground so no complete circuit, no short.
This short tutorial is not meant for the guy who can't resist laying his wrench on top of the battery, right on the posts. He will never understand. And then there are those silly Brits who used to do it all backwards with " positive earth" stickers. No wonder they drive on the wrong side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.