VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I guess the cold weather got to my battery. I tried to start the bike and it was completely dead. Checked it with a meter an it was 5.7v. Used my LiPo jump pack and it started right up. I let it run for about ten minutes and the battery light stayed on and the voltage display and stayed around 10v. I pulled the battery and hooked up to the super cheap trickle chargers from Harbor Freight. After three hours on the charger the battery voltage has dropped to 5.3v. Looking for battery replacement suggestions or anyone thinks it might be something else let me know.
Thanks,
Micheal

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
And make sure to dump that harbor freight charger and get an AGM specific charger. Very important if you want the new battery to live through a winter.
Mines an Odyssey.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I believe batteries are one of the many products that you get what you pay for. Stick with AGM and don't cheap out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trickle charger is for my lawnmower. Not once in the past 6 years have I needed to put a battery on a tender. It is agrivatimg that a battery failed in less than two years.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
My battery still ok, 9 yrs old, so I'm looking myself. I don't want a problem so started looking and finding eBay has a nice selection, free ship and $100 range on many AGM's. O'Reilly carries one for my Vision, $104.99 AGM, 310cca. I might stay local for potential headaches/return. My last battery from O'Reilly for Goldwing still strong 3 years later. I use a tender.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I sell batteries and chargers . Any charger will chgarge a agm battery. Only the 1st generation agm batteries needed a special charger. Current design doesn't matter.
Last winter my nearly new Odyssey battery died while on a regular maintainer, The battery store warrantied the battery and suggested that I change to a AGM electronic charger. It has a setting just for AGM's.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My battery still ok, 9 yrs old, so I'm looking myself. I don't want a problem so started looking and finding eBay has a nice selection, free ship and $100 range on many AGM's. O'Reilly carries one for my Vision, $104.99 AGM, 310cca. I might stay local for potential headaches/return. My last battery from O'Reilly for Goldwing still strong 3 years later. I use a tender.
Sounds like you've had similar battery luck that I've had. Finally changed my factory original out of my 06 Hammer this year. Never trickle charged it once and bike was in an unheated garage throughout 13 winters......Totally neglected this battery yet bike fired up every spring with no issue. I've never had this kind of longevity with any battery before. Curious as to why this was such an outstanding exception . My new Magnum will have to be charged as it's flat after only one season. Guess I'll start using that battery tender I got for Christmas 5 tears ago that's still in the package.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
BatteryMart.com - The Best Value in Batteries!

I bought batteries for my jetskis here they outlasted any other battery I threw in them. Bad environment. Very hot in small engine compartment, constantly bouncing around. Then thew them in my atv's with same results. I have yet put one in a bike because I haven't had a battery go bad on my bike yet.

Reactions: Ampdreamer

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Sounds like you've had similar battery luck that I've had. Finally changed my factory original out of my 06 Hammer this year. Never trickle charged it once and bike was in an unheated garage throughout 13 winters......Totally neglected this battery yet bike fired up every spring with no issue. I've never had this kind of longevity with any battery before. Curious as to why this was such an outstanding exception . My new Magnum will have to be charged as it's flat after only one season. Guess I'll start using that battery tender I got for Christmas 5 tears ago that's still in the package.
The tenders really help. I don't want to replace it but paranoia sets in for upcoming season. Found the Yuusa on Amazon $82.90 and that's the 310cc. 18 ah. I prefer adding the acid. The fully charged ones if not still somewhat maintained gives me pause. You don't know how long they sat there, and if cheap it probably sat awhile. IMHO.

Once they've turned us all electric we'll be replacing little generators, instead of battery, to charge the Big bike batteries so we can travel further than a few local places. Lol.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Motobatt is my favourite don't know if they are widely available in the us .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.