VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need help. I looked through the threads and can't find answer. I've done a lot to troubleshoot this and I'm plum out of options. First history: ride bike all week and while heading out on weekend trip, bike won't start. I get a new battery to get me back on the trip and I return with no issues. Get call from battery shop that battery tested good so I now own 2 batterys. After running for a couple weeks on the new battery bike won't start again. The bike did sit for 4-5 days over the holidays.

Here's what I've done:
1. Rewired all accesories to battery thinking I had a short.
2. Checked Volts to battery while running, 14.3.
3. Checked battery amp draw, unplugged negative and tested between negative cable and negative battery terminal. About .6 amp draw.
4. Checked resistance to stator for all 3 phases, same across all three.
5. Checkes amps from stator while running at 2k rpm, putting out about 45 amps each phase.
6. Checked resistance on R/R, same for all 3 phases.
7. Checked diode on R/R, .1 or .2 on side, OL on the other for all 3 phases.
8. Pulled and tested each relay for contact (used a drill battery to energize) and checked for resistance, .1 or .2 for all relays. Every relay checked out.

Something is draining my battery. It will go from 12.9 to 12.19 in 2 days.

Here's the kicker, outside of this, the bike runs perfect!!!!

What else is there to check???
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.6 amps sounds like an excessive parasitic draw when off.
You caused me to check the service manual again. The spec is less than 5mA, mine was actually at 6mA. I'll recheck this to confirm. If my original test is accurate, it says next step is to disconnect all accessories and see if it goes away. I'll follow this train. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Do you have anything plugged into the cigarette plug? I don't know about yours but on my Vision the plug stays hot....at least it does in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
A cigarette lighter USB plug will drain your battery. I have one plugged into the outlet in the trunk. This outlet is always on. When I park I always take the USB plug out of the outlet.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You caused me to check the service manual again. The spec is less than 5mA, mine was actually at 6mA. I'll recheck this to confirm. If my original test is accurate, it says next step is to disconnect all accessories and see if it goes away. I'll follow this train. Thanks.
5 milliamps is .005. you had .6 which should be 600 milliamps which is excessive

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I've been having the same issue but I believe it is the GPS tracker, so I pulled the fuse, now to wait and see.

Reactions: FoFo

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
5 milliamps is .005. you had .6 which should be 600 milliamps which is excessive
I made a mistake. The fluke reading on miliamp setting was .06 and not .6. Which depending on the reading and setting may be excessive if it's supposed to be .005. .06 is quite a bit more than .005. I'm confirming this tonight!!

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
What accessories do you have on the bike?

If I leave my GPS plugged in it will drain my battery.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I would be checking the power socket further, like disconnect it totally out of the system and see if it reoccurs while sitting a few days, if not then there is a short somewhere there..... I believe that is what eventually wrecked my battery, a constant short in the one in the trunk....

Reactions: FoFo
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.