VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If anyone needs this it's the VOG members...

Your - Posessive - 'Your car'
You're - contraction of you are - 'you're funny'
Yore - the past - 'days of yore'

Their - Posessive - 'their house'
They're - contraction of they are - 'they're not home'
There - location - 'over there'

Quite - a certain extent - 'it's not quite 9:30'
Quiet - Not loud - 'stock pipes are quiet'

Its - possessive - 'where it makes its power'
It's - contraction of it is - 'it's cold outside'

Where -location - 'where we go on Friday'
Were - past - 'they were tired'
We're -contraction of we are - 'We're leaving tomorrow'

Would've, could've, should've - contractions of _ould have - 'I would have called if I had time'

Loose - not tight - 'the axle was loose'
Lose - to no longer have - 'don't lose the keys'

FOR QUICK REFERENCE:

Hand Plant Drinkware Gesture Finger

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
You should stop worrying about English.

A Mexican came in the station mad about an accident report he's in. He was upset because the insurance of a lady that hit him while on his bike was not paying his medical bills. Not that any medical issues could be listed by him.

He could not understand that the police could not change the report just to make them pay and make him happy. He also could not get it through his head that a bike was supposed to follow the same traffic laws as a motor vehicle which is why him driving the wrong way down the street was his issue and not the legal right on red turn the lady made.

When he figured out the report was not going to be changed he said it is because we're racist. We're made up me (white), another male officer (black), and a female officer (Mexican)o_O. He then said that we needed to get with it because this is the Mexican's land now.

I bought a Spanish for dummies book today so I can be ready.:bandit:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Me, myself and I. As often as not they are used incorrectly. I is subjective, me is objective, myself is for emphasis but is usually used in third person in an attempt to be modest when the subject is talking about himself.
"Tom and myself were riding in the bus when it rolled over and injured him and I."...........NOPE
"Tom and I were riding in the bus when it rolled over and injured him and me."
But, don't think that these grammatical errors are overly prominent in the VOG. The King's English and proper grammar aren't expected and very few recognize the difference.
HC, I think you used to diagram sentences. That isn't done any more.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Wut R U guys tockeeng abawt?

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
If anyone needs this it's the VOG members...

Your - Posessive - 'Your car'
You're - contraction of you are - 'you're funny'
Yore - the past - 'days of yore'

Their - Posessive - 'their house'
They're - contraction of they are - 'they're not home'
There - location - 'over there'

Quite - a certain extent - 'it's not quite 9:30'
Quiet - Not loud - 'stock pipes are quiet'

Its - possessive - 'where it makes its power'
It's - contraction of it is - 'it's cold outside'

Where -location - 'where we go on Friday'
Were - past - 'they were tired'
We're -contraction of we are - 'We're leaving tomorrow'

Would've, could've, should've - contractions of _ould have - 'I would have called if I had time'

Loose - not tight - 'the axle was loose'
Lose - to no longer have - 'don't lose the keys'

FOR QUICK REFERENCE:

View attachment 380793
I have to admit. You got me on its / it's. Otherwise I would like to think I do Purdy good wit da kings english.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I like to think I have a pretty good grip on the written language myself. However, I'd be more than happy to accept criticism if warranted. There are times the "smart" phones we have will change what we type and I usually catch it but not always. I guess it's just how it's...

• Haha
Reactions: Dan050

·
Registered
444 Posts
I do Purdy good wit da kings english.
True story:

Back in the 90s I was an assistant manager for a grocery store chain. We were a big store and rented out VHS movies to customers from a section of the store we called the "video center." Anytime I was paged to this center, I knew it was due to someone griping about a late fee on their videos.

One day I was paged over and observed the customer was a pulpwood hauler. He was, of course, contesting his late fees. As I examined his record of transaction on our software, I noticed that one of his rentals was Mel Gibson's adaptation of William Shakespeare's Hamlet.

I immediately reassessed my evaluation of this man, thinking I may have a "diamond in the rough;" a man who appreciates the work of the Bard though he outwardly purports to be an uneducated simpleton.

Then he opened his mouth. He said, "I know I brought those movies in on time...in fact, that one, Hamlet? I brought that one in that same day. I took it home and tried to watch it, but didn't know I'd accidentally rented the King James Version."

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Me, myself and I. As often as not they are used incorrectly. I is subjective, me is objective, myself is for emphasis but is usually used in third person in an attempt to be modest when the subject is talking about himself.
"Tom and myself were riding in the bus when it rolled over and injured him and I."...........NOPE
"Tom and I were riding in the bus when it rolled over and injured him and me."
But, don't think that these grammatical errors are overly prominent in the VOG. The King's English and proper grammar aren't expected and very few recognize the difference.
HC, I think you used to diagram sentences. That isn't done any more.
I ask how I would say it separately to know which one is right.
You and I were there together.... you were there/I was there. (you wouldn't say 'me was there')
They gave money to you and me..... money to you/money to me. (you wouldn't say 'money to I')

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Contractions: Using an apostrophe to replace a letter or letters and shorten the word combination.

did not -- didn't
would not -- wouldn't (not would'nt)
will not -- won't (not want)
can not -- can't

Are and our...
They borrowed OUR car and they ARE bringing it back tonight.

Accidentally -- by accident (not on accident)
On purpose/by accident

I waited in line.... I bought it online.

a lot -- not alot

All this is 6th grade sh!t. It makes me physically ill when I get an email from a guy who holds a master's degree saying "I would of told them before there day off". If you say something it's, "Oh, they were typos.". No... a typo is a typing typing mistake (like typing mistkae) . Then I get, "It's only an e-mail".............. I REALLY hate lamed-assed excuses.... How the f**k did you get a master's when you can't pass a 6th grade English test? I never even graduated high school. I have a GED... I didn't go to college, I went to trade school...

·
Registered
603 Posts
I ask how I would say it separately to know which one is right.
You and I were there together.... you were there/I was there. (you wouldn't say 'me was there')
They gave money to you and me..... money to you/money to me. (you wouldn't say 'money to I')
Best way to do it.
I think a lot of people have been scared away from the word "me", instead using "myself" because it sounds a little more humble or "I" because it sounds a little more proper. Does it really matter? I guess it depends a lot on the audience.
When Sister Kevin Marie was in the audience it mattered!

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
There are times the "smart" phones we have will change what we type and I usually catch it but not always. I guess it's just how it's...
I absolutely HATE accessing the forum from my phone. My wife's tablet isn't too bad, but I prefer a laptop.
It's funny because we have the two android phones, her large tablet... we each have our personal laptops and I have my business laptop as well. In addition to the data plans on the android phones/tablet, we each have a mobile hotspot too. Let's just say that internet access is not a problem... but we both need that for our businesses.

Laptop computers are SO CHEAP now. A good phone costs more than a laptop. For the price of a the iPhone X you could buy THREE laptops.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
irregardless .... regardless.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.