VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Recently acquired a 2011 Vision. Did a maintenance check up, including an oil change (Amsoil) when it arrived. Upon riding, I found 2nd gear to be popping back to "N". ( Please note, I've owned a 2012 CCT for 6 years with 62K+ miles with ZERO issues. My CCT has PC5, Lloydz cams, TW, and filter, all done by Kyle and I've run Amsoil since first oil change and clutch has been rock solid.
After reading info on the forums and speaking with Lloydz, I subsequently changed the oil to T4 Rotella 15W-40, (they said try the Vic oil or the T4, since the T4 was so much cheaper , I went that route). This has definitely fixed the 2nd gear problem and the bike is running very well. My question is, since I plan on having cams, pc5, tw, and filter installed, I was going to have a Barnett clutch put in. With the aforementioned work done, would I still have to use the recommened Vic oil or T4 oil??? Or could I then go back to my JASO-MA compliant 20w-40 Amsoil? Any input from those who had a similar problem is greatly appreciated. While I'm here, can anyone tell me what I can do about getting mirrors to see more behind me. Thanks all

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I would be surprised if oil was the culprit for the gear popping out. I would have thought that to be something more internal such a gear or bearing issue.
It's nice to hear the big guys alternative oil choice. I've been running Amsoil 20w50 and no problems.
If it's mechanical I think I'd find a guru instead of a guy (Kyle) that's so far away from you. KevinX from Florida, or TVS from Iowa perhaps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I had Kyle do the work on the CCT, he too said I should stay with the Vic oil (he said there were reports of slippage with other oils) I stuck with the Amsoil and as said, never an issue.
Upon switching out the oil on the Vision, the clutch is 100%. I actually road it hard today (we had 80* degree weather today) and didnt have one issue. I'm just curious if I switch to Barnett, will I still be limited to certain oils??

·
Registered
865 Posts
When I had Kyle do the work on the CCT, he too said I should stay with the Vic oil (he said there were reports of slippage with other oils) I stuck with the Amsoil and as said, never an issue.
Upon switching out the oil on the Vision, the clutch is 100%. I actually road it hard today (we had 80* degree weather today) and didnt have one issue. I'm just curious if I switch to Barnett, will I still be limited to certain oils??
I'm using Barnett with Rotella. No worries.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks DSmith and Cobra Rider. Which Rotella are you using CR?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks DSmith and Cobra Rider. Which Rotella are you using CR?
Thanks again.
I'm using the T4 conventional oil. Primarily because it runs quieter at idle/low RPM with the 15W/40. I change my oil way early so using Synthetics in today's oil standards wasn't mandate to me. Nothing wrong with Synthetic though as long as it's got the JASO/MA designation.
Beware Rotella T5. There are 2 different blends. T5 15/40 Synthetic Blend DOES NOT carry the JASO. T5 10W30 does carry the JASO but only JASO DH-2. So my recommendation is stay away from the T5
T4 and T6 are good oils though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I tried Amsoil once, started having slippage issues. Immediately drained the oil, added T4 and haven't looked back!

Reactions: vindex1963

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
One thing though, I have a Barnet clutch in my pin, running full synthetic, from the numbers there is no slippage, but my vision I may go another way...

There was someone here that posted a problem with his clutch and a rep from Barnet telling him that the clutch isn't strong enough for that heavy of a bike.... I can't remember the specifics, I might be wrong, maybe contact Barnet before hand ..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the input!

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Nope. Not doing it. Not this time and no one can make me. I refuse and we will just leave it at that.

• Haha
Reactions: benawhati

·
Registered
12,820 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
One thing though, I have a Barnet clutch in my pin, running full synthetic, from the numbers there is no slippage, but my vision I may go another way...

There was someone here that posted a problem with his clutch and a rep from Barnet telling him that the clutch isn't strong enough for that heavy of a bike.... I can't remember the specifics, I might be wrong, maybe contact Barnet before hand ..
That was me. I considered that response a load of **** since my factory vic clutch moved the bike just fine for over 40k miles at exactly the same size.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
I believe just a stronger spring is all that’s needed for our clutches to be upgraded to handle 125 to 150 hp. HC has been running for years making this kind of power with this clutch set up. Oil brand was never a factor to him just that it was Jaso MA rated and changed often. I don’t want to put words on his screen but maybe he can chime in with his good fortune regarding Victory clutches.
I ran 20k on Full synthetic Amsoil. 10k on Spectro semi syn 20/40 and will continue with the semi syn.
It’s every bit as good as they say.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.