VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be frank, I'm sick and tired of not owning a motorcycle.

I thought I would be able to hold out to save for what a really want, a Victory, but it's apparent that I won't be able to do that anytime soon.

So, on that note, I wanted to get some opinions on a good used bike to purchase for, say, under $2k. But, I do have stipulations. I don't want anything under 600cc, I really want a lot more, but I have to give a little somewhere. I'm partial to the power cruiser market. Bikes like the old 80's V65 Magna's, the V-Max and other bikes of that class.

What do you think?

·
Registered
609 Posts

You should be able to find bikes like that in your price range. Older V-Max's are cheap now same with the Hondas. As long as its not too ragged a little hunting should net you a good one.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Typically I would answer this question with a canned response such as: You Get What You Pay For. But in this day and age, all bets are off. You may be able to find a decent used bike for the price. Yes, it won't be a new model, but since you stated that you would consider a 1980's model, you might be able to find that diamond in the rough. Possibly, you may have to increase your budget to find something that is safe to ride.

Depending on your mechanical skills, you might be able to find a fixer-upper that you can put some time into to make roadworthy.

A good place to start is on eBay. I just did a search and believe it or not, there are a few out there that are close to your price range. While you'll need to be careful of scams, it is a good place to start your search. In this day and age of the Internet, you have some great resources at your fingertips. Also give Craigslist a shot as well. Again, be careful dealing with any online transaction...especially one that will force you to transfer funds and provide personal information to an unknown party.

You may also consider a repo. However, finding them, can be difficult. I am to understand that one of the first people (other than the lender) to find out about repo'd bikes are the Insurance Salespeople. If you know someone who specialzes in selling Motorcycle Insurance, he/she may give you some guidance in finding a bike that delivers a lot of bang for the buck. Or, they might be able to let you know of upcoming auctions.

I can also recommending stopping by a few dealerships (all brands) and being upfront with them about what you're looking for and your budget. I'm sure they may attempt to give you the "bum's rush" out the door, but a good, savvy salesperson may understand that if he befriends you now, that later you may be back to plunk down some more bucks on a larger, more expensive used or new bike.

Another factor to consider is the climate. Depending on where you live, if you buy in the off season, you may find a motivated seller who needs the cash and knows he/she won't be riding in the snow or frigid temperatures and will be willing to make you an offer you can't refuse. I've been known to buy most of my gear in the middle of the Winter as many of the online retailers offer some great blowout or closeout deals during its slowest selling season. Since I live in a tropical climate, my Winter is most people's Summer. My Summer is just too hot to ride with gear.

Keep us posted as to what you find out there. If you post some photos of a few that you are considering, I'm sure some of the VOG Members will be happy to chime-in with some input on that specific model.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Start letting all your friends know your in the market for a bike, news will spread and someone will call you and say they have a cousin who has a friend that used to date an old friend of someones brother............................and you will find what your looking for.
Most deals are found through friends.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I've considered the idea of building from a basket case as well, over a winter. It'd give me something to do, and might end up with a decent ride for my wife. I've seen a couple of 650s and 750s online for less than $1000.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Rather-b-n-AZ said:
Found this on a Salvage Title for $1k. It's an '04 VT750X. I'm a good wrench so I'm thinking of taking on the project.

One of Honda's most popular bikes.. Should be relatively
easier to acquire parts and I have seen some pretty trick custom
versions. It is what I started on and it's
a great bike (like most Hondas..)..
I rode one from Kansas City, Ks to Deal's Gap North Carolina..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It looks as if I'll be waiting a little while longer after all. Through all the different suggestions that I got I did find several prospects and even chased after a few much to no avail.
Then I did aquick search of the Phoenix, AZ area, which I'll be moving to this coming January. The amount of options was overwhelming.
So unless a deal I can't refuse falls into my lap, the verdict is I've got 6 months to go and I'll be buying my bike in the desert, and thus, will get much more Bang for the Buck.
Thanks all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.