VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just spent the last couple of days looking at the new Goldwing and the Transcontinental Yamaha, in person.

The Goldwing is about 3/4 size now. It's good looking and light!. Very sexy, modern bike now, HOWEVER, there is absolutely no room to put your feet. The pegs (which suck now that I'm used to huge boards) are right behind the engine. I mean they really need to change that. It's a deal breaker for me if I was ever going to entertain switching.

The Yamaha is much wider and lower than I imagined. It's really a "pitbull" looking bike. Yeah, it's heavy but it's so low to the ground it's easy to move around (sort of). I've never been on a touring bike that low. I'm sure the wind isn't going to blow that thing around much. It's built pretty well and the fit and finish is nice. My main problem with it is that it may be too wide for my wife to fit on because she's pretty short legged also (5' 3" tall). It also has NO protection from tip over on the saddle bags. Looks like a drop at low speeds is going to be expensive. The salesman told me there was an "aftermarket" rolled bar that mounts around the bags is you want to buy it separately. He also said that the navigation software is per subscription after the first complimentary year. Don't know how much that will be but I don't really like to be forced to buy something after paying for that nice big infotainment screen. I'd hate to have it and not be able to use it because Yamaha wants a ridiculous price to keep it working.

I didn't ride either bike. I just wanted to see them in person. Nobody wanted to let me demo their new bike. I'd ride the Yamaha if they have a demo truck some time. I'll pass on that nice Goldwing though. The riding position is really going to hurt my old knees. Even if they have an aftermarket floor board....there's nowhere to put it. That engine is right in front of the pegs.

Just my opinion on those. If you haven't seen them in person, you really need to. My VV is still the best bike I've ever ridden. I just don't think I can go 1000 miles from home on it anymore. I'd hate to have to be hunting for a part, getting it shipped to a dealer somewhere and then installed while being stuck in a motel for days. Worse scenario is having to leave the bike in another state, fly home or rent a car. Then get back to that state once a part was located and shipped, just to get home.

Reactions: bikendad

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
A Goldwing is a Goldwing is a Goldwing. Been there, rode them. Not the 1800 or the new one but they're all the same. Upright seating, uncomfortable footpegs, no way to stretch out (highway pegs have the feet splayed way out). Honda makes a good engine that's too wide and causes the grief I mentioned. Now that it's ST1300 in size, so much for the bulkier buyers riding them.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
A Goldwing is a Goldwing is a Goldwing. Been there, rode them. Not the 1800 or the new one but they're all the same.
No, they are not....
The GL-1800 was lightyears removed from the 1500... not even close. That 1800 is a sportbike with luggage and 6.6 gallons of fuel.

I've probably put 30K miles an a GL-1800 and wasn't uncomfortable for a minute of it... but I'm not a big guy, either. I never used the highway pegs (don't on cruisers either). I spent a lot of time with my feet on the passenger boards.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Doesn't look all that different...

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
That is a shame to hear about the foot position on the new Wing. That was the deal breaker on the old Wing. You would think they would fix that. Oh well, I'm sure that arrangement will work for many, maybe most. The boards on the Vision have completely spoiled me. And I never used to even like boards!

·
Registered
390 Posts
No, they are not....
The GL-1800 was lightyears removed from the 1500... not even close. That 1800 is a sportbike with luggage and 6.6 gallons of fuel.

I've probably put 30K miles an a GL-1800 and wasn't uncomfortable for a minute of it... but I'm not a big guy, either. I never used the highway pegs (don't on cruisers either). I spent a lot of time with my feet on the passenger boards.

View attachment 433561

View attachment 433569

Doesn't look all that different...
HC, you're right that it looks the same...the difference is it will always be in that position on the wing. On the Vic you could have several other pics showing the feet in more forward positions all the way to about 45 degrees. You know all of this, I'm just yanking your chain a little.

I always wanted a Wing just happened to find something else during those times I was buying. The new Wing is gorgeous in person and I love the new fork setup over the older ones. It's just the foot/knee position that would prevent me from buying the new one. It's hard for me not to like any motorcycle, I'm just nitpicking at this point since I'm on the fence about getting rid of my VV after it's been modified so much by KevinX.

Reactions: Rhinestone

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I sat on a new Wing. I really wanted to love it but it’s just too small. I’m 6’3” with a 35” inseam and size 13 feet. I could barely get my toe under the shifter. It’s a sweet looking bike and I’m sure it’s awesome to ride but not if you’re my size. The Eluder is sweet as far as ergos go. Haven’t ridden one yet but I am watching for a demo truck.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I just spent the last couple of days looking at the new Goldwing and the Transcontinental Yamaha, in person.

The Goldwing is about 3/4 size now. It's good looking and light!. Very sexy, modern bike now, HOWEVER, there is absolutely no room to put your feet. The pegs (which suck now that I'm used to huge boards) are right behind the engine. I mean they really need to change that. It's a deal breaker for me if I was ever going to entertain switching.

The Yamaha is much wider and lower than I imagined. It's really a "pitbull" looking bike. Yeah, it's heavy but it's so low to the ground it's easy to move around (sort of). I've never been on a touring bike that low. I'm sure the wind isn't going to blow that thing around much. It's built pretty well and the fit and finish is nice. My main problem with it is that it may be too wide for my wife to fit on because she's pretty short legged also (5' 3" tall). It also has NO protection from tip over on the saddle bags. Looks like a drop at low speeds is going to be expensive. The salesman told me there was an "aftermarket" rolled bar that mounts around the bags is you want to buy it separately. He also said that the navigation software is per subscription after the first complimentary year. Don't know how much that will be but I don't really like to be forced to buy something after paying for that nice big infotainment screen. I'd hate to have it and not be able to use it because Yamaha wants a ridiculous price to keep it working.

I didn't ride either bike. I just wanted to see them in person. Nobody wanted to let me demo their new bike. I'd ride the Yamaha if they have a demo truck some time. I'll pass on that nice Goldwing though. The riding position is really going to hurt my old knees. Even if they have an aftermarket floor board....there's nowhere to put it. That engine is right in front of the pegs.

Just my opinion on those. If you haven't seen them in person, you really need to. My VV is still the best bike I've ever ridden. I just don't think I can go 1000 miles from home on it anymore. I'd hate to have to be hunting for a part, getting it shipped to a dealer somewhere and then installed while being stuck in a motel for days. Worse scenario is having to leave the bike in another state, fly home or rent a car. Then get back to that state once a part was located and shipped, just to get home.
Your over thinking the parts thing. Ride the heck out of your Vision.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts

Out of all the Bikes I looked at the Yamaha was the most Vision like.

·
6,677 Posts
I sat on a new Wing. I really wanted to love it but it's just too small. I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam and size 13 feet. I could barely get my toe under the shifter. It's a sweet looking bike and I'm sure it's awesome to ride but not if you're my size. The Eluder is sweet as far as ergos go. Haven't ridden one yet but I am watching for a demo truck.
There it is. Bigger guys like us with long legs are always going to have issues like this. It's just that you don't expect that when you see a bike the size of a Wing. Or a Roadmaster for that matter. Or even the big Harley tourers from what I have heard. It's surprising and disappointing all at the same time. That is why this Vision was such a revelation to me!

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Said it before....I really believe that Yamaha was listening more to us than Polaris was.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agree with the VV being the best bike. Issue is that it ruins the ride of all the other bikes out there. The XC is a close second. I am out looking to see if there is another bagger that can take the place of the Vision. The only one I haven't checked out is the GW. I just received a call from Boston Power Sports that they just got one in .

2018 BMW Bagger -Love it but not into the sport's feel ride. Turns on a dime. Fast and smooth....but still a BMW (big money waste).
2018 Kawasaki Vulcan - Price was right. Just sat on it and it felt low to the ground and a little too small for me and the lady.
2018 Indian Roadmaster - Took one for a 20 mile spin. Beautiful bike but felt confined. Dash is right in your face.
2018 Yarmaha Venture- Sat on the one up at MOMs. I was not impressed. Felt heavy and some parts are a little cheesy/cheap. Not what I was expecting from all the reviews and the $25 to $28,000 price tag. Jurys still out until I ride one.
2018 GW - Next and last bike I will check out in the next month or so.
2018 - Electra Glide-----This is on the list to check out.

Like I said, the VV has ruin all these rides. I just bought a $800 Mustang seat because it looks like I am keeping this sucker until the cows come home.

·
6,677 Posts
Holy crap. That is not what you want to hear as you start to pull out your wallet and drop close to 30 grand on a bike. Those would be deal breakers for me. And in fact they ARE deal breakers for me.

Because I have no experience with a front end of this design, I have to wonder - Is this really normal? Is it a horrible design flaw? Could I live with that? I could not. In my mind, a brand new 30 thousand dollar motorcycle should not be making noises like that after only a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
I am certainly not an engineer, but that kind of movement and loosening after a short time seems very counter intuitive. It bothered me when he mentioned the mount being in a 'very soft rubber'. I wonder how often this will require replacement and if any danger is present in case of a fail?

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Holy crap. That is not what you want to hear as you start to pull out your wallet and drop close to 30 grand on a bike. Those would be deal breakers for me. And in fact they ARE deal breakers for me.

Because I have no experience with a front end of this design, I have to wonder - Is this really normal? Is it a horrible design flaw? Could I live with that? I could not. In my mind, a brand new 30 thousand dollar motorcycle should not be making noises like that after only a few hundred miles.
This is the first I have seen of this and wonder why in the test rides so far not one person has mentioned this. With the exception of the posted videos. We will learn more as more information comes out. But I agree I wouldn't like that slop.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I am certainly not an engineer, but that kind of movement and loosening after a short time seems very counter intuitive. It bothered me when he mentioned the mount being in a 'very soft rubber'. I wonder how often this will require replacement and if any danger is present in case of a fail?
I would be very concerned . I have high hopes for the GW. I wonder what other things will arise. If it was me and I purchased one. Right back to the dealer.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Sounds like the geometry needed to affect the desired effect in steering that Honda is going for has parts somewhat akin to the way a compound bow might behave. Certain items need to have considerable motion to transfer energy and this could be part of their solution. Can't make it too tight. Just a guess.

·
6,677 Posts
Man, I know! I mean, this is the riders connection to the steering system, so if there is a problem there... there is a big f*cking problem, yo! This is not good.

·
6,677 Posts
This is the first I have seen of this and wonder why in the test rides so far not one person has mentioned this. With the exception of the posted videos. We will learn more as more information comes out. But I agree I wouldn't like that slop.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Slop like that would have to cause some kind of head shake. Or, at the very least, a vague feeling in the steering. NO ONE has reported anything strange at all. I am officially perplexed!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.