Baffles won't budge | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Baffles won't budge

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by cliffgi, Jun 11, 2021.

1. cliffgi

cliffgi New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Cross Country Tour
    I recently bought a 2013 CCT that has V&H 4.5" Hi-Output slip-ons. They are WAY WAY to loud, so I picked up a set of V&H "quiet Baffle" inserts. Problem! I can not get the baffles out, which is required in order to access a set screw hole. I have tried every Youtube technique and foul language I can think of. None of it has worked. The baffles are full length and apparently slip up under a flange at the header end of the muffler. There is simply no place for a slide-hammer to grab hold and tapping out from inside is just as impossible... the flange covers the baffle end. I'm considering dremeling a slot in the baffle just beyond the end cap, so as to be able to latch on with a slide-hammer.

Is this insane? Any better ideas out there?

thanks.
    Cliff

2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Could you attack it from the other end if you took the entire muffler off? Or did you already?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Perhaps @crosscountryla may have a recommendation as he’s likely the most experienced Victory muffler person around, anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  4. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

2014 cross country tour
    I had the same problem you had when I installed the Vance and Hines High-Output slips on my Cross Country tour. I then bought the quiet baffles and I tried everything that I could think of to get the baffles out far enough so that I could attach the quiet baffles inside of them. I could not get the baffles that came inside of the Vance and Hines mufflers out. I later sold them.

5. 11ZNL

11ZNL Member

V11 Sport Naked
    Is this any help?

Rob

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. cliffgi

cliffgi New Member

Thanks. I'll do that.

7. cliffgi

cliffgi New Member

It was my first attempt. However the vid does not show want it is he is latching onto with the slid hammer, nor does he pull the baffle all the way out. I suspect his are much shorter than mine. Mine run the full length of the muffle are and tuck up into an internal flange. A physical inspection reveals no place to hook. I'm going to Dremmel some and get this job done. I'll post how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cliffgi

cliffgi New Member

Yes I tried.
    There is an internal flange where the exhaust pipe enters the muffler. The baffles are the full length of the muffler, and appear to sleeve over this flange making it impossible to even see the end of the baffle. I have decided to go thermonuclear on it. I bought a small slide hammer From Harbor freight and I'm first going to try hooking the set scew hole that is used the secure the V&H Quiet Baffle I'm trying to install. If I can't gently slide hammer it out with this one hatch point, I'm going to break out the Dremel and cut some more grab points in the baffle just beyond the end cap These $#&@ers are coming out, one way or the other. Wish me luck and I'll post how it turns out.

• Like Like x 3
  9. 53canuck

53canuck Well-Known Member

2011 KP
  10. cliffgi

cliffgi New Member

Ok. I was being a tard! I bought a 2lb slide hammer from Harbor Freight. $25 It had a very small hook. That got me to thinking that perhaps I could just hook the screw hole used to secure the Quiet Baffle inserts, and slide-hammer it out... forget the video on hooking the baffle end. Done! They came right out. Thanks to all.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Good deal!

12. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I removed my D&D mufflers to do some work on my bike. The brake side mufflers baffle seem loose inside. I removed the set screw ( only one ) and the baffle basically fell out ? Hmmmm can’t be. tried the second one and no go. Not rattle. Tight. So I call D&D and they say seems the fitted flange at the base of the muffler may have somehow worn. They sent me a new baffle $200 !!!! Probably the last one on earth. No more Victory mufflers. One thing I noticed ....... I thought I bought the wrapped quiet baffles. I’m sure I did. Well they sent me the no wrapped. 10 yrs running these and I never would have known the difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1