VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

How do I put my Thunder Monster baffles in? The gap between the swingarm and baffle bolt on the pipe is too narrow for a normal Allen wrench. Is there a wrench with a smaller head?

Also, there are two bolts holding the pipes on a bracket. If I take these off the bracket, will the pipes swing out so I can get to the baffle bolt?

Thanks,

Sevenfigurejackpot

·
Registered
9 Posts

I just put Monster Thunder Baffles in this Sunday and it was a pain in the butt. You need an allen head, security bit. You need one the size of the new allen screws that came with your baffles. We took a grinder and cut the bit in half so it would fit in the hole, on the one on top, right next to the swingarm. We then took a box wrench and put it around the bit and a flat head screwdriver, small, behind head and braced it against the swingarm and proceeded to loosen the screw. Once you get to a point, you have to do it by hand because you won't be able to get the bit out. Once you have removed both screws from the pipes you then have to get the baffles out. We tried a million things and finally went to the auto parts store and rented a "slide hammer" otherwise known as an axel puller or steering wheel puller. It had a hooked end that we could put behind the welded nut on inside of baffle that screws screw into. We then slide this weight back and forth and it knocks them loose and out. Good luck. It sucked for me but with you knowing what we used that takes the worst part away.
They sound amazing. My bike is incredible and now has the sound to go with it. You will love them.
-Andy-

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all... I thought it was just me. I'm challenged mechanically but come on, some things are obvious and difficult... I'll give it one more whirl before I take the pipes off and do it that way...

I keep hearing how great they sound... can't wait...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a number of responses ranging from use a vice grip to loosen the brackets to all kinds of other solutions... A couple of my friends even suggested I take the pipes off.

All the responses were great and appreciated; I now have my Thunder Monster Baffles in...

But I did it in a way no one suggested... So for anyone who has the bolt problem like I did, get yourself a $6.98 Kobalt 10" Mini hacksaw and cut the bolts off, hook a hanger inside and pull the baffles out. Done, end of story...

Oh... They are off the hook! Louder and I get more power. I rode with my HD buddy and he wants to pull his baffles out of his Screamin' Eagles because my pipes are louder than his now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later