VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 850 Posts

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've followed the last six quarters of Polaris earnings reports it's not looking good for motorcycles. Down last year, down another 13% here. Slingshot is doing worse than Indian but Indian's sales flattening and the division falling mimics the last couple years of Victory sales. If pontoon boats has a good year that will probably be all Wine needs to ride that better horse and shut down Spirit Lake for good.
Polaris Industries Drives a Quarterly Beat

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Yep Indian and Slingshot sales are not making up for the lost Victory sales for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: RedChieftain

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Indian motorcycle seems to be selling well at my dealership. Seems like it may take another year away from the Victory debacle to really gauge their motorcycle business sense.

Reactions: smitty1961

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's like the Indian brand has a curse associated with it. The same thing happens every time someone tries to revive it. It was a bold move by Polaris.

• Haha
Reactions: RedChieftain

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Shame they killed Victory for it. :\

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I'm not defending Indian/Polaris/Wine etc, because I really don't care. But..... Isn't the entire market down about that much ? If so, this is just a reflection of the overall motorcycle industry.
But other companies have large enough sales to ride it out. The Indian line is too small by itself to withstand a large percentage drop in sales.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not defending Indian/Polaris/Wine etc, because I really don't care. But..... Isn't the entire market down about that much ? If so, this is just a reflection of the overall motorcycle industry.
Depends on how you define the market. Brands like BMW, Triumph, and Ducati are up and have been for several years now. But they also make a lot of 900cc or smaller bikes.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Good points. I'd bet that the Scout is the best selling American bike on the market, and within that I'd say the Scout bobber is probably the best seller in that line up. It seems as if they all priced themselves out of the market for middle America. I know they have for me, and I do pretty well. I can't imagine paying 25k dollars for a motorcycle, regardless of how much I like it.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Victory / Indian for sale within two years.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
you nailed it closely jayleav, huge jump in pricing from the Victory cruisers to Indian Chief as well as the CCT/Vision to the Roadmaster.

The reality is Indian left the gate at a full run, now it's likely a gallop in sales.

Did they need to drop Victory, I still say no, it was another offering that fell between the higher than HD Indians(in most cases) to a more budget friendly Victory, No way of knowing if they would've staved off drops in sales, but it sure didn't help. If not the soft market alone the bad press to go with it.

The Slingshots are collapsing quickly under their own weight but I'm sure they have so much invested they'll continue to try and sell these for a few more years.

When Polaris offers the Roadmaster for low 20's like the Visions and CCT's I'll consider giving them a look.

There's a reason they make Chevy Cruze's and Cadillac ATS. Yeah we all want the Cadillac but many of us would rather buy the Cruze and save the money for beer and cigars.

Until then I may as well go somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If you've followed the last six quarters of Polaris earnings reports it's not looking good for motorcycles. Down last year, down another 13% here. Slingshot is doing worse than Indian but Indian's sales flattening and the division falling mimics the last couple years of Victory sales. If pontoon boats has a good year that will probably be all Wine needs to ride that better horse and shut down Spirit Lake for good.
Polaris Industries Drives a Quarterly Beat
Victory had almost 0 advertising, I didn't know of victory till I found some place in the middle of nowhere... My friends didn't know about victory till me riding one In front of them...

Indian doesn't have that great of advertising either, but I've seen commercials for them....

I say good, hopefully Indian burns in flames for replacing my favorite, and making my bike the, redheaded step child that was adopted by it's grandparents..

• Haha
Reactions: FoFo

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Yes BUT Indian is for all practical purposes a new upstart venture. Indian needs to keep growing or it will die. It's much easier for a small company like Indian to increase sales than it is for a large established company like HD. If Indian sales are dropping it's a very bad sign.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
Well .... the entire motorcycle industry is in a slump right now. Not really surprised that numbers are down....
This part is true, the industry in general is down again this year. I know a lot of people were hoping for better numbers in '18, but so far it's just not happening as they hoped. Numbers are still either flat or trending down across all makes. So that is part of it for sure. But with that comes the other component of pricing yourself right out of the game. Seems the big heavies are not what buyers are looking for at this point. That is why the Scout family is the one model that is actually moving some units. I was in my local dealership a week ago and I swear the same line of Chieftains, Roadmasters etc was still sitting there like they were 2 months before. The same bikes. Triumphs, on the other hand, are moving pretty well. So what does that say? Seems obvious to me. I'm just not seeing any new Indians on the roads out here, either. They did have a Magnum and a XC on the lot this time, too. I wonder if they will still be there when I go back down in a few weeks. At any rate, We'll see what the rest of the peak season brings.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I knew about Victory when they were introduced. I had just started riding (Honda CB750C). By the time I bought my Goldwing in 2004, they didn’t have a full dresser so I didn’t even look. Then I pretty much forgot about them until they introduced the Vision, and again until I saw them offering demo rides at Americade in 2012. Bought my CCT the following year.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
It shouldn’t take much for Indian to show and increase in sales. When sales are low, it doesn’t take much to show a big percentage change.

For example, for easy numbers let’s say total sales were $200,000. Selling one more or one less $26,000 bike is the difference A 13% gain or a 13% loss over last quarter. If total sales for another company was 2 billion, it represents a difference of +/- 10,000 ($26,000) bikes for that same 13% swing.

Reactions: primethious
1 - 20 of 850 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.