VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a backrest for my 09 VV with trunk. I have read some of the post here but was wondering what might be the best for a self installation. My seat is not slotted and I am not looking foward to taking a knife to it but looks like the only way. I am interested in hearing what some of you with first hand knowledge have to say. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put the Utopia one on myself. I'm not mechanically minded and this was pretty easy. Only mistake I made was with the cut. Make sure you angle the cut toward the rider; it will be a lot easier to get the threads onto the bracket.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Utopia backrest is the way to go. You really can't screw it up if you make the cut where they show you on the directions. It does take a little "trial and error" to get the bolts to line up once you insert the bracket into the seat. Like was mentioned before angle the deep cut so that as the tip of the blade bottoms out in the seat that it is hitting the back of the lower level of the seat. That statement will make sense once you take the seat off and start the installation.

I will tell you that the backrest is absolutely one of the best add-ons you can make. HIGHLY recommend it! Best of luck...it really is easy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like something I can do. If you have a rider, how much room do they have after the installation? Does it interfere with their seating room?

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Aussie-I think the pricing is fairly similar (checkout their website www.utpr.com) and yes you have an adjustment screw to fit it more to your personal style.

JGN281-It definitely is something you can do on your own with a little patience. As for the passenger room, because you are back into their area by about 1" it does take out some of their area. It is rather "wide" so it feels somewhat intrusive. My wife would rather I not have it installed while she is on the bike but my little boy doesn't really care. Great thing is you can remove it if needed as long as you get the quick-detach version.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Basically its the difference of sitting at a little league game on a bench for 5 hours with nothing to lean against, or sitting at a major league game with a nice seat and backrest to relax in.
At the end of a 12 hour ride (been on a few) you dont have any back issues because its been supported for the entire ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.