VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m Uncle Bubba a new member new Vic owner recently I purchased 2002 V 92 deluxe , Now I know absolutely nothing about this bike I purchased it from an estate sale I have two major issues that I would like to address one is the backlash between coasting and applying throttle there is a definite gap and yank Being experienced riders I’m sure you know exactly what I’m saying and the other is going into a slight curve is getting somewhat of a wiggle from the bike Is that a common thing on these bikes

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Yes, that is normal. The only time you should see it would be parking lot situations, in which case you'd just finesse the clutch for superslow maneuvers. Otherwise the typical cruising range of the engine is 2500-3500 rpms which should be more than enough to prevent bogging the engine and hearing the clunking of the transmission dogs.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The backlash is common something you just have to get used to.

the wiggle is not.
In general these bikes handle more like sport bikes than typical cruisers they are usually very stable & "planted" in curves.

Check the date on the tires & tire pressure.
Check front suspension by sitting on bike, lock front brake then bounce the front end.
The action should be smooth.

Loose or tight goose neck bearings can also cause that.
You will need to jack the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground.
Then you will swing the front end left & right.
It should move smoothly if there is a catch or roughness then it's time to pull it apart.

Rear shock can also cause it.

Start with the simple & check tire pressure & wear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The backlash is common something you just have to get used to.

the wiggle is not.
In general these bikes handle more like sport bikes than typical cruisers they are usually very stable & "planted" in curves.

Check the date on the tires & tire pressure.
Check front suspension by sitting on bike, lock front brake then bounce the front end.
The action should be smooth.

Loose or tight goose neck bearings can also cause that.
You will need to jack the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground.
Then you will swing the front end left & right.
It should move smoothly if there is a catch or roughness then it's time to pull it apart.

Rear shock can also cause it.

Start with the simple & check tire pressure & wear.
Thanks for the advice like I said

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice like I said it very new purchase trying to get all the bugs out it has high miles 80 + but is one hell of an animal its just going to be hard getting used to the backlash between tranny and engine lol keep getting the feeling I’m going to rip something up as far as the wiggle I was wondering if maybe I should drain and refill the front tubes in case maybe one side is low ??

·
Registered
474 Posts
When making low-speed 90 degree turns, I find myself feathering the clutch in order to avoid the backlash. Otherwise I don't notice any excessive drive-train play.

When making a U-turn, I feather the clutch and ride the rear brake until the turn is complete.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Also be very gentle with the throttle , slight movements when going slow . It makes a difference .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When making low-speed 90 degree turns, I find myself feathering the clutch in order to avoid the backlash. Otherwise I don't notice any excessive drive-train play.

When making a U-turn, I feather the clutch and ride the rear brake until the turn is complete.
Pretty much the only way to make make those turns safely but I'm getting it on straight runs and also the shifting is quite audible like the older Harley's and from what I have read so far the loud shifting should be pretty much removed from this year so would that be an indicator as well ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
They all klunk on the shifts. I cured mine with ear plugs and louder pipes. You may have clapped out torque compensater washers. Then again, most get used to the backlash by gear selection and throttle usage.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a new 2016 and yeah, the shifts are quite audible. When coming up to a stop, I'll downshift into first at about 3 mph to minimize clunk. Upshifting to second and third results in a nice audible clunk, but I don't mind it. It makes the shifting seem very solid for me. I also wear earplugs.

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
Getting lash when you release the throttle to coast is normal. If you want to coast smoothly pull the clutch.

Getting lash between shifts is also normal if you're not shifting the way the bike prefers. Vics like revs. Rev it up to at least 2.5K rpm and then quickly pull in the clutch while you let off the throttle for a split second and shift up again adding good throttle. For romping on it shift in the 3.5 to 4.5 range.

The wiggle you mentioned doesn't sound normal. That could be a few things. Old tires would certainly be one possiblity. I would start there.

Oh, and as for the clunk. Normal. It will clunk less when you figure out where the bike likes to shift.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting lash when you release the throttle to coast is normal. If you want to coast smoothly pull the clutch.

Getting lash between shifts is also normal if you're not shifting the way the bike prefers. Vics like revs. Rev it up to at least 2.5K rpm and then quickly pull in the clutch while you let off the throttle for a split second and shift up again adding good throttle. For romping on it shift in the 3.5 to 4.5 range.

The wiggle you mentioned doesn't sound normal. That could be a few things. Old tires would certainly be one possiblity. I would start there.

Oh, and as for the clunk. Normal. It will clunk less when you figure out where the bike likes to shift.
I appreciate all of the input it's pointing me I just have to hone in now and it seems like there is an awful lot of slap like overrun on the primary chain like I said I know absolutely nothing about Vic's or this one in particular as I bought it from an estate and the fella obviously couldn't talk about her . Is there an adjustment for the primary or maybe a tensioner I need to check ? Also I notice I'm getting coughs and spits and a lot of popping when you let of throttle in any gear I've never had a bike with Fuel injection when I got it I changed oil filter put 44k decarbonizer in it after this tank of 105 oct fuel I'll change plugs .. she has been ridden long and far 85,000 plus and I don't want to hurt her she deserves better !!

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is no primary chain on the vic's. It's a gear driven primary and if there is excessive slop there is a split gear under the primary cover you can adjust on your 2002. Just don't take all the slop out of it or it will bind when hot. Download the service manual from above and it talks about it. I may have the service manual for a 2002 TC which is the same motor and transmission.
02-04_VICTORY_Service_Manual_02-04.pdf

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I appreciate all of the input it's pointing me I just have to hone in now and it seems like there is an awful lot of slap like overrun on the primary chain like I said I know absolutely nothing about Vic's or this one in particular as I bought it from an estate and the fella obviously couldn't talk about her . Is there an adjustment for the primary or maybe a tensioner I need to check ? Also I notice I'm getting coughs and spits and a lot of popping when you let of throttle in any gear I've never had a bike with Fuel injection when I got it I changed oil filter put 44k decarbonizer in it after this tank of 105 oct fuel I'll change plugs .. she has been ridden long and far 85,000 plus and I don't want to hurt her she deserves better !!
Don't use high octane fuel like that, it only makes matters worse. If your throttle cables are out of adjustment it could make the bike feel very 'choppy' when you let off the throttle. Also your throttle bodies have a rubber boot that attaches to the engine. Overtime this wears and cracks creating intake leaks, makes the bike run lean and it will cough and sputter when shifting or letting off the throttle. On this I'm not sure, but a poorly adjusted drive belt might be contributing to your issues. Google The Vic Shop tutorial videos, he's got some good trouble shooting diagnostic instruction for new owners.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is no primary chain on the vic's. It's a gear driven primary and if there is excessive slop there is a split gear under the primary cover you can adjust on your 2002. Just don't take all the slop out of it or it will bind when hot. Download the service manual from above and it talks about it. I may have the service manual for a 2002 TC which is the same motor and transmission.
02-04_VICTORY_Service_Manual_02-04.pdf
Thanks for the input now it gives me another direction to look because at times while riding under throttle it almost sounds like chain run over like you get with a stretched chain so now I'm puzzled unless I have a main starting to go ???

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the input now it gives me another direction to look because at times while riding under throttle it almost sounds like chain run over like you get with a stretched chain so now I'm puzzled unless I have a main starting to go ???
If it sounds like a chain jumping over a sprocket its the torque compensator under the primary made to slip under excessive torque. Could be the spring is getting weak. The split gear will take out lash and the torque compensator will protect the transmission. Parts 9 and 11 will hop over each other (slip) making a noise like a chain jumping. Parts 1 and 3 can be adjusted.
View attachment 488309

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.