VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down the the Back of the Dragon in VA in a few weeks, are there any other good rides, good food, good places to see? Didn't even realize it was there until last year we were coming back from the Tail of the Dragon stopped to get gas and some one from a visitor center handed us a few maps, thanks for any feed back

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
There are MANY good roads here. Most do not have names like "Dragon".

In fact, there are roads with tighter turns than the Dragon....rt. 80 off of exit 23ish on 81. Crazy road.

The Snake is fun here....that's route 421.

Blue ridge parkway is a must-do. It runs for over 300 miles , so pick a section.

You can't miss in the Appalachians!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm heading down there in June. I've been messing with Google Maps all winter getting routes from folks on this forum and Motorcycleroads.com among other places. This is what I have set up so far for the week, I hope to hit all of them :fiddy:

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Parallel

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I have been all over the Tail and Smokey Mountion area, make sure to hit ClingsMans dome, the road to no where is cool and has a cool back story, just getting into the VA area now the wife wants to hit all the dragon parts now, we have done the Tail a few times, now on to the back, head and claw. I use Road Trippers, to find all the out of the way things to see

·
Registered
617 Posts
Call me crazy but I was not a big fan of the Dragon, I think there are better roads with less crazies on it. The Back and 421 were among my favs. What was that one by Little Switzerland? Loved that one too.
You are gonna have a blast!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
When you're at the top of the Dragon in Tazwell VA take a ride over to Burkes Garden and do the loop all the way around the valley then have lunch at the Amish country store there. As you head south on 16/botd stop into Hungry Mother State Park,tell them you just want to visit the restaurant and gift shop. Farther south on 16 take a right on 58 / county music rd that takes you to Damascus, one of my favorites. Then from there find 133 and take that to 421 / the snake. The snake will take you to Mountain City then take 67 and 321 down to Elizabethton TN. From there head east on 19 to Roan Mountain and take 143 south to hwy 80 all the way to Ashville or jump on the BRP just before. If you're around Ashville check out Bat Cave and Old Fort roads. Sorry, I get excited just thinking about that area, lol.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The Cherohala Skyway is a great ride. A lot less traffic than the Dragon.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
When I saw the heading I thought it was gonna be a photo of the backside of my ex... glad it isn't. Cherohala is nice, Moonshiner 28, BRP and Shenandoah were fun rides. Tail was ok but it was kinda busy and it was even a weekday. But since I was all the way over there, I had to ride it and get photos. There are much more betterer windy, twisty, hilly roads in the great PNW, but I get it, it's so far away from some of you. I'm thinking that TX hill ride should be extended to include OR, WA and B.C.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lou8700, thanks for the tips, will try to get as much in as we can! So many good road and all these years I just drove past to get to the Tail. Seeing that we missed a lot, thanks again

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
When I saw the heading I thought it was gonna be a photo of the backside of my ex... glad it isn't. Cherohala is nice, Moonshiner 28, BRP and Shenandoah were fun rides. Tail was ok but it was kinda busy and it was even a weekday. But since I was all the way over there, I had to ride it and get photos. There are much more betterer windy, twisty, hilly roads in the great PNW, but I get it, it's so far away from some of you. I'm thinking that TX hill ride should be extended to include OR, WA and B.C.
The pnw is one place I Havn't been. Closest was Canadian Rockies back thru Nelson into Idaho or PCH but not as far up as Oregon. So now you have my interest peaked and some year I'm coming up there to find you.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
@lou8700 you are always welcome. I have a spare bedroom if you need a place to stay overnight. I can get you lost within 5 minutes of my place and stay lost for a couple days. Come to think of it, I can get lost myself pretty easily. Just make sure I'm not attempting another 48 state run.

Reactions: lou8700

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
ATTENTION: I'm a contact for THE BEST guide you'll ever find for that area, along with @lou8700 , and that would be the FAMOUS MOUNTAINRIDER. He'd LOVE to take you....follow him...on MANY roads around there you'll probably never find. HE would LOVE the company...trust me, right Lou. He rides EVERY day, even if only misty out, and would be happy for any to join him!!!
PM me if interested

• Winner
Reactions: lou8700

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
The Moonshiner (NC-28) is a very fun ride, especially if it's gotten hot; the river creates a 'cool zone' as you ride beside it, giving you a much more comfortable ride. Also, the ride into Maggie Valley from there is absolutely beautiful as is the city.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Heading down that way for the SE Rally. Planning to do the Snake along with 321. Just have to fit it in to a time restraint. I figured i'd exit I-81 in Abbingdon, hit as much as we can do in time to reach Maggie valley by dusk.

·
Registered
404 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.