VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the average mileage for replacing front and rear pads on XC? I have about 21K on my 2014.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am replacing my front and rear pads this week. The pads are at the wear indicators, and I've got 25,000 miles on the dial. I just received my replacement Lyndall Z+ pads... expecting good performance based on the reviews and research on this site.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
I've got a bit over 30K on my 13 Vision and she's on her third set of pads.

I do allot of big city riding in Houston traffic though. That and I'm fairly aggressive going and stopping.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
Wow....you guys get a lot better wear than I do....
What do you get?

Like my tires, both sets of pads usually need replacing at the same time with me. I've never thought of myself as a aggressive rider but my tires and pads tell me differently.

I am trying to use more engine braking now so we'll see if that extends my pad life.

·
Banned
2,192 Posts
What do you get?

Like my tires, both sets of pads usually need replacing at the same time with me. I've never thought of myself as a aggressive rider but my tires and pads tell me differently.

I am trying to use more engine braking now so we'll see if that extends my pad life.
I'm not sure of the exact milage....but I do know I have 26000 miles on the bike and am on my third set of brakes... and third rear tire...Avon Cobras handle great but wear quickly ...maybe I will go to a car tire....

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm just over 29,000 miles on mine and have yet to replace my brakes. I do think one of my front rotors is slightly warped, but otherwise my brakes are good. I replaced my first set of Elite 3's at 14,000 miles and my second set at 26,000 miles a little early because of a trip. I'm running Metzlers now as the Elite 3 is NLA.

I engine brake extensively at every stop sign/light and as much as prudent/possible while riding.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the average mileage for replacing front and rear pads on XC? I have about 21K on my 2014.
Also, what is an improved pad(s) recommend for replacements.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact milage....but I do know I have 26000 miles on the bike and am on my third set of brakes... and third rear tire...Avon Cobras handle great but wear quickly ...maybe I will go to a car tire....
We must have a similar riding style. I'm on my third set of pads and third set of tires.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I do think one of my front rotors is slightly warped, but otherwise my brakes are good.
It may not be a warped rotor. These are floating rotors and the buttons have to be cleaned once in a while. This could be a symptom.
I think I will make a video on this as others have commented on the same issue.
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know they're floating rotors, however compare these (or most any) factory equipped "floating" rotor with a true aftermarket floating rotor. Big difference in the amount of "float" between the two.

I don't feel it when braking, just hear it a bit when coasting in a parking lot.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I don't mind beating up my brakes, I change em every season, even when the still have meat on em, I ride in winter, with snow, salt and other ****, and I really like the feel of new pads....

I do have to clean my calipers tho start of next season...

One set I wore down within 14k, I replaced that set with my tires in July and they had prob half the pad on em still....

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I get like 15k on them. I really like the EBC HH pads, much better feel than stock and more stopping power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced my rear at 40 km but my front just got changed
At 75 km .but I running mostly hwy milles and also changed my front and rear wheel bearings.the wheels were off no need to wait for the bearings to go bad on you .

·
Registered
120 Posts
At my 20K service I was told I had more than 50% brake pad left on front and rear. Will be putting on second set of Cobra AV71 & 72 this week. Got 14,500 miles out of set to be replaced. This will be third set of tires. Replaced original set just prior to 6K mile ride earlier this year to ensure good rubber for ride. I always engine brake coming to a stop. I'll hold the RPMs up slightly and go down in gear rather than blip the throttle. I'll blip the throttle if the situation requires quick down shifting. I do very little city riding with lots of long distance riding and my brake pads are a reflection of my riding. Example: I did a day trip today that was 325 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.