VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added some automatic courtesy LED lighting to my trunk so I can see what I'm after at night, or low light conditions.
Seeing as the lid swings too far forward to cast much light down into the tour box, I decided to add them to the top of the box.
I tapped into the always hot lead for the interior 12 volt outlet and they are controlled by a Normally Open magnetic alarm switch.

Normally Open magnetic alarm switch

Dusty

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
Looks bright.

You could also replace the lid cable with a shorter one to throw more overhead light in the trunk. I replaced my Vision trunk cable with a 550 cord version. Just found the length I wanted and made two loops to throw around the bolts. It's worked great and I prefer it much more than the stock metal cable.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Longest day here in Alberta has sunset at 10:07 PM. Not an issue up here for the need for illumination.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks bright.

You could also replace the lid cable with a shorter one to throw more overhead light in the trunk. I replaced my Vision trunk cable with a 550 cord version. Just found the length I wanted and made two loops to throw around the bolts. It's worked great and I prefer it much more than the stock metal cable.
Nice setup...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice setup man. Has a lot more light then the rig I got from joe florida that I mounted to the back wall of the trunk. However, I did hook it into the 12v like you did.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could!.
Would just have to figure out where to place your LED strip and add a quick connect to take the bags off/on

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I love my auto light on my SweeDee, standard on my ride. 1st time having one in a trunk including both my GW's. The mirror in mine also reflects it so it's full lighting and not to bright. Nice mod and very helpful. Makes it easier to pick out the bugs from your teeth too without using restaurant bathroom, lol.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed one in my 1500 Goldwing 's trunk

The ones I installed in it's saddlebags were wired to a keyed source, so they worked only when the ignition was turned on.

Dusty

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very nice job!

And I suppose for the "electrically challenged" a quick & dirty option would be to add something like this.... for the amount it would ever be "on" the batteries would last ages...

Motion Sensor Light for Wardrobe JEBSENS - T01 NEW 14 LED Battery Operated Lights for Cabinets, Cupboard Light with PIR - Motion Activated Automatic Light Up, Works Day & Night with Cool White Light (White) Motion Sensor Light for Wardrobe JEBSENS - T01 NEW 14 LED Battery Operated Lights for Cabinets, Cupboard Light with PIR - Motion Activated Automatic Light Up, Works Day & Night with Cool White Light (White): Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suppose that may work ..... if you have an empty trunk, as anything rolling/moving around in the trunk would probably activate it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got out for the 1st ride of the season yesterday.
While I was out last night, I took a couple of shots of what my trunk lighting looks like at night.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive light bulb Rolling

Notice my 'Red Neck' cell phone holder and it's charging station in the trunk.

Camera lens Reflex camera Automotive design Font Automotive tire

Guitar accessory Flash photography Audio equipment Camera lens Font

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Tire

Dusty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.