VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,110 Posts
The tech in those vehicles in pretty nuts. I cant imagine what they will have in another 10 years.

·
Super Moderator
26,110 Posts
Maybe if we actually enforced the rules of the road and make the baby boomer generation go back to driving school, we wouldn't have to worry as much
I don't think the baby boomers are the big issue. I think it is all the unlicensed illegals and millennials that believe driving is a right and not a privilege. At least around here. I have to dodge them everyday coming into work.

They didn't take drivers ed, don't worry themselves with knowing the traffic law, and think they come before all others.

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I don't think the baby boomers are the big issue. I think it is all the unlicensed illegals and millennials that believe driving is a right and not a privilege. At least around here. I have to dodge them everyday coming into work.

They didn't take drivers ed, don't worry themselves with knowing the traffic law, and think they come before all others.
most of my issues while working are with baby boomers. It's amazing how lazy they get by not looking, following lines, using turn signals, and being on their phones even though they should know better.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I drive a metro bus for a living (for now anyway). I don’t think I could limit the stupidity I see every day to being mostly attributable to one demographic. Who’s worse, the stupid kids or the idiots that raised stupid kids? Lol. I do welcome the day when an idiot’s car won’t turn left even if the idiot tries to because the car sees the motorcycle coming even if the driver doesn’t. When I drove a semi it had adaptive cruise and braking. The cruise drove me nuts but it was reassuring to know my eyes had backup when it came to braking. I think I’ll like these technologies better when the vehicles are transmitting data to each other and not relying on independent technologies.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Ju

I dispatch for a towing company. I went back into history and we average 5, yes 5, impounds a week (I went back just to August), for no insurance/suspended DL/improper,expired or registered to another car, plates. Then I look at court news and... $450 fine, pay us impound fees, which sometimes is more then insurance would have cost, and "Reported to Sec of State". What riles me more....same consequences for 2nd/third time:banghead: (This is just Roscommon County!)

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Soon I'll be living deep in an Arkansas holler with a mule for going to town.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I'm sure you get special kinds of stupid people on the bus.
It's a mixed bag or blessing depending on how you look at it. There are definitely some special kinds of stupid, there's also rude aholes and awful smells. But there's also some really great people. My current route has me regularly driving some special needs adults to and from menial labor jobs and these guys could warm the heart of the frostiest bich out there, really really cool dudes. Overall I'd take my passengers over the drivers I encounter. You think we got it bad riding motorcycles...

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
That stop assistance can be a curse too. I would never want that as a feature of any car I drive. Reason...

A few years ago we went to a Bonnie Rait Concert right in the heart of Oakland on a Friday night. HUGE mistake. It was late when we got out of the show, and as we were making our way to the highway, this a-hole decides he is going to try and step out in the street to make us stop. Doesn't take a great deal of imagination to figure out why he wanted us to stop. I looked at my Wife and said "hold on". She knew exactly what I was going to do. Yes, I nailed the accelerator. At that point, @sshole had two choices; jump out of the way or die. He jumped out of the way and we kept on going.

Now, with this assisted stop bullsh!t, we would have been either robbed, killed or both. So thanks but no thanks. I will never have a car or have crap in my car that takes me out of control. Never.

·
Super Moderator
26,110 Posts
That stop assistance can be a curse too. I would never want that as a feature of any car I drive. Reason...

A few years ago we went to a Bonnie Rait Concert right in the heart of Oakland on a Friday night. HUGE mistake. It was late when we got out of the show, and as we were making our way to the highway, this a-hole decides he is going to try and step out in the street to make us stop. Doesn't take a great deal of imagination to figure out why he wanted us to stop. I looked at my Wife and said "hold on". She knew exactly what I was going to do. Yes, I nailed the accelerator. At that point, @sshole had two choices; jump out of the way or die. He jumped out of the way and we kept on going.

Now, with this assisted stop bullsh!t, we would have been either robbed, killed or both. So thanks but no thanks. I will never have a car or have crap in my car that takes me out of control. Never.
I agree. Our Jeep has all those bells and whistles. When we got it I didn't give it much thought it even liked the idea of the wife being in a safer vehicle. Well move ahead with some time behind the wheel and Im right where you are. The Jeep is super smart but that makes it super dumb.

I really don't like when it brakes for no reason. It will do this to me when I pull out of my drive because it thinks Im going to hit the bushes.....I never have or would but Ill get alarms and braking as I get close. Then it likes to brake on me when I back into a parking spot. I like spots with at least two sides made of a curb. As I back into such a spot more times than not the Jeep sounds the alarm and slams on the brake.

It also does dumb things like put on the parking brake if you try to drive with the door open.

The only tech I really do like on it is the adaptive cruise control. That is a great feature but the others I can do without.

On my 2010 F150 I dont have to worry about all that. I can back into whatever I want, run people over, and drive with my door open without issue. Luckily with only 29K on it I'll have it for a good time longer. I bet by the time I need a new truck they will be at the $100K mark for a F150. I'm really interested to see the price of the new Raptor coming out with the 7.0L V8.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.