Audio upgrade... good news and bad news. | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Audio upgrade... good news and bad news.

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by kindredghost, Sep 20, 2013.

1. kindredghost

kindredghost Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Country
    So... I took my bike to my local car stereo shop. I've been going there for quite a while... he's not cheap, but not expensive either, and i know he does quality work. Even then, I wouldn't mind paying more knowing the job got done right. At any rate... I had this put on:
    [​IMG] PBR300x4
    And these:
    [​IMG]Polk Audio db521
    I bought 2 pairs of the db521's, but they unfortunately didn't fit in the trunk. So, my guy sold me a pair of Alpine speakers that did fit. I don't recall what model they were, but they were direct swap. I've had them in there now for about 2 weeks, and man... the front 2 speakers sound FREAKING AWESOME. The back 2 speakers... suck. Big time. The polks had a much more full sound... when the fader was set to rear, the audio was very tinny... and hollow. So I got rid of them and decided to cut the trunk a bit and put on the polks.
    Wihtout going into to much detail, my buddy started hacking away at my trunk... and now I'm stuck with this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've ordered some foam baffles to at least coverthe holes and protect the wiring, but I'm also trying to figure out how to cover those holes up nicely. I went to a plastic fabricator the other day on my lunch break. He said he could probably come up with something decent, starting at 75 bucks. I'm ok with spending the money to do that, but as a last resort. I've got a few things I want to try out, and i'm not really down with drilling more holes... But again, I have a few ideas I want to try out.
    Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?
    -kg

2. smokeXC

smokeXC Member

Cross Country

Use a small plastic baffle similar to the foam type. Cut the baffle to be as shallow to the front wall as possible. Buy some Un-backed carpet at an upholstery (sp?) shop and get some spray adhesive. You can shape and stretch a piece of carpet over the baffles first and then mold the carpet over at least the front wall of the trunk. On the wall piece of carpet, Cut out the baffle areas, don't double up the carpet but if you cut it so you have a small overlap it will appear as one piece acrossed the front wall. If you can do the carpet, I'm thinking baffles or something $10, carpet $15 or so for a sq yd. and spray glue for $9. Probably an hour of time.

Search for threads where guys carpeted their saddlebags and trunk. It will give you another prospective. The carpet is very easy to shape, mold and stretch around curves. I did my saddlebags for about $40 in carpet and adhesive plus an hour each.
    I'd do it for you if you stop over. Almost dead center of the state of PA....what time are you coming?

3. bernomad

bernomad Member

2017 Chieftain Limited

Are the good sounding speakers you installed up front Polk or Alpine? What are the product numbers? Thanks.

4. Pointman

Pointman Active Member

2020 Road Glide Limited, Stiletto Red, Screaming Eagle intake & Rinehart mufflers || 2012 Cross Country Tour, Sunset Red with Bassani black ceramics.

Not sure if you can find a size that works but how about computer fan covers? They are available in various sizes, decorative styles and some have foam inserts for dust....

5. kindredghost

kindredghost Member

2011 Cross Country

Hey Bernomad, I lied. I'm a terrible human being. They were actually Pioneers. I'll tell you what model they were specifaclly tomorrow morning. If I remember.
    -kg

6. kindredghost

kindredghost Member

2011 Cross Country

The more and more I thought about it, the more your comment makes sense. I was looking at how the screws are mounted to the trunk which hold the speakers to the trunk... a plastic speaker baffle makes sense. I'm going to go and get a quote to have the trunk professionally carpeted though... I've seen some pretty bad ass trunks in the forum. Either way, I'll keep you guys posted.
    -kg

7. smokeXC

smokeXC Member

Cross Country

I made you the offer for you to stop by my place. You haven't accepted it yet.
    I'll line the trunk for you. NEVERMIND it is a coast to coast trip, plan accordingly, nights are getting cold in PA. LOL

Seriously, It is a good way to do it esp if you are getting it done professionally. I've done 2 now and get lots of compliments. Going to do my new Anti FreezeXC saddlebags over the winter as well.(maybe some wild carpet color)
    My suggestion would be this, have the guy doing the work velcro the bottom (floor) of the trunk (use the hook and the carpet will be the loop). You will be able to lift it out and shake it off instead of needing a sweeper or something to clean in there. But it will still hold and not shift under braking or accel. It wouldn't take much, a 1" strip from side to side would be enough. 2 at the most. Now, that being said, it will not be as tightly stretched, meaning slightly lessappeallingbut more convenient too. Your Call....
    Then Spray adhesive the sides....but watch for overspray on the paint. I used newspaper and painters tape to go around the rubber gasket andfor paint protection too.Have him give you an extra 2" or so off the sides and onto the floor. It will stretch that far and then the floor will overlap the sides.
    Sorry this got long. It will work good.
    LET us see some pictures when done.

8. smokeXC

smokeXC Member

Cross Country

Update us.....pics required

9. VicFFrider

VicFFrider Member

'11XC, 09 Vegas 8ball

Looks like a nice set up. I've basically did the same. I did add two 6.5 inch apline speakers in subwoofer boxes in the saddlebag. It sounds amazing. My friends at work love to hear me coming down the road.