VOG Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
OEM tires. I know they're twelves years old but there is zero dry rot. Again, they're in good condition. Tires are on the list of things to purchase ahead of pipes and air filter and all the other cliche' cool guy mods.
I pulled the rubber plug under the triple tree out and following was rusting water. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts its the bearings.
Yep, sounds like bearing replacement will cure your ills.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ordered bearings because at $40 and some labor time plus getting intimate with my bikes inners is always a good time for me... Usually always...
I've seen some videos about removing the collar but every seems to use a screw driver. It makes me cringe watching that. Is there a spanner wrench specific for that?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I ordered bearings because at $40 and some labor time plus getting intimate with my bikes inners is always a good time for me... Usually always...
I've seen some videos about removing the collar but every seems to use a screw driver. It makes me cringe watching that. Is there a spanner wrench specific for that?
You can make one out of a piece of pipe or use a flat tipped punch. It isn't that tight. Not that much torque to tighten. There is no torque spec for it ,you must check the "fall away " or "flop test" You'll find instructions in your service manual. It's really easy. There's the thread "head tube bearing socket " on here that has pictures of what some members have made to do the job.
Yes there is a tool for that but never used one. Several other manufacturers use the same set up.
Might want to do seals and fork oil while you have it apart.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, it took two months to free up time for this breakdown. The front end is apart and its very clear the rusty race and slop may very well be the cause of the wobble. After going over the manual and videos ect. I'm coning to a new obstacle where I'm realizing that the bearing kit from Victoryonly.com doesn't have what I need is 1) not fully equipped with everything I need and 2) possibly not the right bearings to begin with.
Who doesn't like setbacks? hahahaha

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I work for the largest concrete company in Philly and do poured in place high rises. Surprisingly to many but I don't lose a days work due to weather too often. When I get a day like today with heavy down pour for the entirety of the day, it hurts to not get things done. Especially when I've been waiting to get it accomplished for several weeks. Plus the heat wave has broken and my '79 Zuk still needs to be worked on as well so I'm assed out for riding right now.

Might have to make today a range day until I can pick up my kids from school

·
Registered
23 Posts
It was only a matter of time before I mucked up something. Unfortunately it was the steering stem threads. I took much care not to ruin any threads, races, bearings and all as I broke everything down and while cleaning everything before reassembling. When reinstalling the stem I nut was having concerns of getting the nut tightened to 75lb-ft as per manual info. Rather than forcing it I backed off of the torque wrench and checked the top bearing to make sure it was seated. Installed the nut again and notice that it was hitting a hard spot and then spinning through it.
It was at that moment... I knew I had FU(&#) up.
Anyone know how to get the stem out of the Tree? lol smh
I wasn't going to buy a different front end just yet but it looks like I am now.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
It was only a matter of time before I mucked up something. Unfortunately it was the steering stem threads. I took much care not to ruin any threads, races, bearings and all as I broke everything down and while cleaning everything before reassembling. When reinstalling the stem I nut was having concerns of getting the nut tightened to 75lb-ft as per manual info. Rather than forcing it I backed off of the torque wrench and checked the top bearing to make sure it was seated. Installed the nut again and notice that it was hitting a hard spot and then spinning through it.
It was at that moment... I knew I had FU(&#) up.
Anyone know how to get the stem out of the Tree? lol smh
I wasn't going to buy a different front end just yet but it looks like I am now.
I have a chrome triple tree (plan to put on my Vegas some day lol) in my garage. I could take it to work tomorrow and push the stem out, drop it at the post office Monday or Tuesday for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
jmstang302 That would be amazing. I'm super grateful. I'll pay for shipping or what ever you want. Thank you
Obviously, there's a circlip at the bottom of the the stem under the lower tree. My pliers aren't thin enough to get to it. I'm going to try to get it out now that I have nothing to lose.
Does it require a press to force the stem out or will it just be free at that point?
I've found two chrome lowers for a pretty reasonable price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So through some research I came across some info about using the tapered bearing on the top of the head. Apparently if you torque the nut down to oem spec the dust seal on top begins to crush and the edge of the seal will press down on the rollers creating eventual failure. The inner upper race is fully seated in case there was any question there. I backed off before I ruined the seal.
I emailed AllBalls for a torque spec. Just waiting on an answer before I attempt another go and ruin the new stem.
Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
What's all this torque spec crap?
Tap it around till it feels right.
Not tight and binding and no fire aft movement, swings left to right without binding.
Torque specs are for cylinder heads , mains, and conrods.

The rest is experience.
Something you'll never get with a bloody torque wrench .

• Agree
Reactions: Smokier104 and KLA
81 - 97 of 97 Posts