VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I'm not a thrill seeker nor speed demon by nature.

I was out recently on my 05 kingpin.
The tires are new, and were mounted and balanced by the Victory dealer.
The front is a Bridgestone G851, pressured to recommendation of 36psi.

I was on a two lane in the middle of BFE, no one around, and decided to ramp things up a bit thinking I might see what 100 on a bike is like, having never done it before.

Just as I was crossing into 90mph, the bike began to wobble or shimmy, so I slowly backed out of it.

I have the OEM windshield, and no lowers.

Was it turbulence, the wheel, the nature of the bike, or was it me?

Thanks.
Joe

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would guess the back wheel isn't aligned properly. If they just used the markings on the swing arm it can be off.
This is an interesting thought, I hadn't considered the back tire, which also brings something else to light.
I'm not sure how the hell they aligned it.
I noticed that they put the axle in upside down, so the markings can't even be read. (massive eyeroll)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would guess the back wheel isn't aligned properly. If they just used the markings on the swing arm it can be off.
This is an interesting thought, I hadn't considered the back tire, which also brings something else to light.
I noticed that they put the axle in upside down, so the markings can't even be read. (massive eyeroll)

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
This may have nothing to do with it but it's an interesting watch.

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
Ok, I get it.
I need to obey the speed limit, or else put on some more weight and ride like I'm on a crotch rocket. :)
I had to lean forward on my Sportster to prevent it when trying to go fast.

On my KP I never did but it was dressed out and had weight on it. Not that I think a bare KP should have that issue unless you are a lighter guy. @Half_Crazy doesn't seem to have any issues at triple digits.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to lean forward on my Sportster to prevent it when trying to go fast.

On my KP I never did but it was dressed out and had weight on it. Not that I think a bare KP should have that issue unless you are a lighter guy. @Half_Crazy doesn't seem to have any issues at triple digits.
There's not much extra weight on it besides saddle bags.
Also, I'm about 3'1" at 180 lbs. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 04 will hit 120 no problem, not that I go there much. probably never again. I've had that slight wobble in front end at slower speeds on highway. Pretty sure it is my windshield acting as a sail. Depends on cross winds I'm guessing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Fairing, bags and lowers on my 07 Pin. Tried Bridgestone and Metzler radials with wobbling at 80. Bias tires no trouble at over 100.

Reactions: mister-g

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
What tire is on the back?

That's the classic "radials on a Kingpin" wobble.
Isn't that the Metzeler radial wobble?

I have always used radials and never an issue, but I hate Metzeler tires.
Dunlop radials (V-Rod rear and VTX front)
Night Dragons
Bridgestone G-850/G851
No instability... even at obscene speeds.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would think the belt would be chirping pretty good if the alignment was off. IF your getting no chirping I would think you are good as it doesn't take much to throw the belt off.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
A few years ago, there was an older video posted here regarding among other things, the wobble. Simple solution was to lay down on the tank, then of course, back it off. Guy demonstrated this several times with some nasty wobble going on.

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
A few years ago, there was an older video posted here regarding among other things, the wobble. Simple solution was to lay down on the tank, then of course, back it off. Guy demonstrated this several times with some nasty wobble going on.
o_O You feeling alright?

I'll add it again just for you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That's the classic "radials on a Kingpin" wobble.
I have the Bridgestone radials and I exceed 100 MPH many times and never experience the wobble or any weaving at all, even got it to almost 118 mph. (GPS indicator)

You see my profile picture of what my bike looks like but what it doesn't show is that I have detachable hard bags on it as well, still no issue at all. It is smooth sailing no matter the speed.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
1 - 20 of 85 Posts