VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the below someplace and thought how depressing this is. Are the people that are riding the big bikes really aging out that fast? I aged out physically just before 70. It seems the millennials may not be so much into motorcycles. Psychology Today somebody wrote this. Not sure if the article pissed me off or my age pissed me off.

So I wonder now what the average age of our group is in 2022. Thinking maybe its mid 50s. I don't know how to make a poll. I wonder how old we are now as a group.

"Motorcycle manufacturers lure old buyers with a promise of a return to their youth. Other products, however, seize upon the motorcycle as a prop to get older men to buy stuff that they may actually need. One of my favorites was an ad that was on TV a couple of years ago for a product called “Male Guards,” which is a protective undergarment for men suffering from incontinence. The ad featured a group of tough looking older men slowly sputtering down the main street of a small town on their “hogs.” The male bystanders watched them with a mixture of respect and envy, as the local women were clearly smitten by the eye candy that had suddenly rolled into town. The riders winked at the ladies and acted like the masters of all that they beheld, since they could now afford the luxury of motoring slowly through town without any fear of peeing in their pants.

Yep, nothing captivates a young woman quite like a corpulent older man ensconced in leather while sporting a diaper."

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I didn't start riding until I was almost 45. I grew a replacement for myself on 2 wheels in my daughter. Got her on a 13 Vegas.

My niece had a son last year, he's very much interested in anything with wheels, I intend to nurture his interest as he grows up. Need someone to ride me around on my bikes, when my legs are caput. Lol

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Started when I was 16, 76 now. Whew! Time flies when you're heavily sedated.
From what I've seen on road trips most are over 50, the younger crowd seems to gravitate toward liter bikes or small displacement dirt bikes with the "Grom" being pretty popular. (I know the "Grom" is not a dirt bike but they're cheap an great for kids( anybody up to 25).
Times have changed, a lot of the younger crowd just can't afford what we consider a motorcycle.
In the '60's and '70's there just weren't that many motorcycles. Around 1984 the yuppies discovered them. We all know how that went. $60,000 choppers, buying and reselling contracts on a Harley that had a delivery date a year out. Etc., etc.
I feel very lucky to have been born at the most fun time in history.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Under 40, started at 28.
Dad and uncle grew up on two wheels I came into it late.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Over 60, started at 5 on a 90cc 3 speed left grip shift Ducati. Then we went to a 'big bike', a 125cc Rex street bike. It had a Rex emblem on the tank but I've not seen that brand anywhere else. It may have been imported from Italy under some local or regional distributor.

Aging out? Not now, but that day will come at some point. It saddens me that so many young people today aren't even interested in considering a motorcycle. Not even a scooter for way too many.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Mid 30's, started late 20's. Always had interest in it but never really had any extra money until then.

Reactions: jmstang302

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Turning 74 in Sept. The motorcycle industry is being hurt by those Lime and Bird electric scooters that litter the cities that allow them to operate in. When I see a guy who should be on a m/c but riding one of those throwaways, I expect that he enjoys the breeze across his vagina.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Started when I was 16, 76 now. Whew! Time flies when you're heavily sedated.
From what I've seen on road trips most are over 50, the younger crowd seems to gravitate toward liter bikes or small displacement dirt bikes with the "Grom" being pretty popular. (I know the "Grom" is not a dirt bike but they're cheap an great for kids( anybody up to 25).
Times have changed, a lot of the younger crowd just can't afford what we consider a motorcycle.
In the '60's and '70's there just weren't that many motorcycles. Around 1984 the yuppies discovered them. We all know how that went. $60,000 choppers, buying and reselling contracts on a Harley that had a delivery date a year out. Etc., etc.
I feel very lucky to have been born at the most fun time in history.
Yep, learned to ride in 1966 got my first bike Yamaha 100 street trail in 67 then a 305 Honda Super Hawk. 69 Bonneville. Never looked back, Rode over 50 years with no complaints. I think my life would have an empty spot in it without motorcycles.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Closer to 70 now - Started at 17 with unbroken ownership since then of all brands including 14 Harleys!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Started in 68 at 13. Haven’t been without a bike since. Went from the dirt to the street in 73. A 68 BSA lightning from there to Harley. Victory in 16 Indian in 18. But still have A Harley or 2. I’ve run coast to coast since 82 when I bought my first new Harley a 82 Electra Glide classic. I don’t know how many bikes I’ve had somewhere around 15 for sure. I’ll be 67 in November and I guess I’m part of the older Boys on here. And still touring

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
My story is much like most here, but one thing that I believe contributes to the lack of young riders (and there are many reasons, no doubt) is the lack of countryside and real estate where they can go ride bikes or even go carts with some abandon. This is an advantage that probably most of us had. We grew up in areas where people were more spread out and it was fairly easy to hop on a bike and run off into the woods or even take the go cart for a spin around the yard (we had over an acre and dad set me up a "track"). Or is was easy to go to that buddy's house who had a bike and space to ride near his home. Lots of land was "open" and available for riding. Not all fenced in and heavily guarded by Fred Asswipe. Hell, we could even run a few miles up the road and shoot off of an old country bridge with out any issues. Different set up, I think that makes it much more difficult for younger riders to just go and enjoy riding freely. And, of course, our parents ran us outside, and wouldn't let us sit in front of the tele all day. Now with games and all, thumbs and bums are about all that get any excercise. Not the whole picture, but I think a big part of it.
At 13/14 back in 60whatever, it was easy to find a bike to ride and places to ride them. We had a "pack" of five in the summer of 69 who went out and rode all night on back country roads for miles ranging at least 30 miles from home. All about 14 years of age. No trouble making, just enjoying the night air and the riding. I can't remember even once being stopped or seeing a policeman. Turtles were probably the most dangerous thing on the road.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yeah I didn't read any post but I will say I'm currently at 45°22'20" N. Also I won't give longitude as I'm currently in my work ****ter in case any of you sickos is stalking me. So no, not quite north of 50 but also not far from it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
First rode when I was 12-13 on buddy's 50cc. Bought a '69 Honda CB350 from a neighbor in my 30's and rode that for a couple years then started back up in my late 40's. Now 60+. Our boys both ride but the older one has 4 little ones and his Ducati has been sitting doing nothing for about 3 years. Still "plans" to sell it.

I see a lot of under 30ish riding around in the area but very few on cruisers. Weirdly enough, I've posted about the trashed scooter a friend gave me and where I'm at now they're an infestation. eBikes too. If I had $2k falling out my butt I'd buy one like our daughter's RadPower.

The good news is my grandfather's ties he wore back in the '50s will come back in style eventually. Bell bottoms were in a year or two ago and now I guess out. Here's hoping big bikes make a comeback too. It was good to see Rylan's new site so there's still support.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Yeah I didn't read any post but I will say I'm currently at 45°22'20" N. Also I won't give longitude as I'm currently in my work ****ter in case any of you sickos is stalking me. So no, not quite north of 50 but also not far from it.
North of 50 doesn’t refer to latitude but rather to age. I think you knew that! If not, we’ll you do now. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
North of 50 doesn’t refer to latitude but rather to age. I think you knew that! If not, we’ll you do now. :ROFLMAO:
I thought it was a good joke. :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts