VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I don't own a Victory but I sold my boss on a Vision. I'm really looking at the XC and I like what I'm seeing. I currently ride a Suzuki C90T and a lot of the guys on that forum including me are running Rotella Synthetic oil in them and it works great. A lot of the guys have even converted from Amsoil to the Rotella. My question is has anyone tried it in the Victorys? Here is a link from Shell's Tech Expert.
http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=310&page=29
ROTELLA T and ROTELLA T Synthetic are universal oils, providing lubrication and protection for four-stroke diesel and many four-stroke gasoline engines (but not aviation piston engines). We do not performance test these products in motorcycle engines, so any comment must be based on oil performance specifications and oil chemistry.

Most motorcycle engine manufacturers recommend oil by API Service Category. Some, like Harley (when their brand of oil is not available), recommend API CG-or CH-4 oils, which are diesel performance categories. Others recommend API SL, SJ, or earlier Service Category oil for gasoline engines. Where the engine oil sump also serves the wet clutch and transmission, oils without friction modifiers are usually recommended.

Both ROTELLA T products exceed all the API Service Category performance requirements mentioned above. They are formulated principally as heavy-duty diesel oils. Compared to most passenger car gasoline engine oils, they have superior oxidation resistance, superior extreme pressure wear protection, superior high temperature-high shear viscosity, and superior detergency and dispersancy - and they contain NO friction modifier additives. If I were to choose oil for a motorcycle engine, these are qualities I would want. Clearly, ROTELLA T Multigrade and ROTELLA T Synthetic would be better choices for motorcycle engines than passenger car only oils. Without knowing the composition of, and performance specifications met by, "motorcycle oils", it is not possible to compare the ROTELLA T products performance to them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use Rotella T5 Semi-synthetic 10-40 and it seems to be perfect. I had some clutch slippage with the T6 full synthetic, but I have a very heavy throttle hand and lots of engine mods... the 40wt semi seems to be the perfect oil for me... As always, your mileage may vary....

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Second sentence of paragraph states that it is not tested in any motorcycles. So it comes down to cost savings. The average cruiser rider rides 4000 miles a year so that means two oil changes. So my question would be, do you want to put an un-tested oil in your $20,000.00 bike to save $60.00 a year?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
i thought some of their oils were now JASO MA certified? Which means they are motorcycle friendly.

As a guy who averages 13,000-14,000 a year I'm not overly worried about the oil change cost. I'd be even less worried as an 11 rider since the OCI has gone to 5000 miles.

That being said Rotella has a great reputation as being a very good oil, Victory oil is the super unknown other than that's what the mothership says we should run.

Reactions: arnie460

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I used to use it in My Honda Sabre 1100 and there are a crapload of Sabre owners over at thesabrehood.net that use it all the time. I had no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Used it in a V-star 1100 with no problems; it actually quieted the engine down a little compared to Yamalube. Watch to make sure it isn't "energy conserving" and you'll be fine. Energy conserving oils contain friction modifiers that don't go well with engines/transmissions that use the same oil - basically your clutch will slip.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts

C0untryb0y21 said:
Before tryingRotella I tried Spectra and my boss was running Amsoil in his C90 and when I converted toRotella it made a drastic improvement on the valve noise I was hearing and shifted smoother too.
Wow. Food fopr thought!! Hmmmm ....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an '05 Ness Kingpin and have been using Rotella on the recommendation of my bro..i have had no issues...I've had to switch to Non-Synthetic because I had a Barnett clutch installed and that's what it calls for...kncok on wood there has been no issues since the switch.

·
Registered
395 Posts

dsjr70 said:
Second sentence of paragraph states that it is not tested in any motorcycles. So it comes down to cost savings. The average cruiser rider rides 4000 miles a year so that means two oil changes. So my question would be, do you want to put an un-tested oil in your $20,000.00 bike to save $60.00 a year?
Exactly what I was thinking, and NOPE!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My current "RIDE" is a Cross Country. I have just over 4000 miles on it and have already switched over to Rotella T6 full synthetic and WIX filter. I do recommend using Victory specified oil during break-in period to allow parts to properly "bed". Absolutely no negative issues with the rotella T6. PROS-- Readily available at Wally World (Wal-Mart) for about $19 gallon. One of the finest true synthetic oils IN THE WORLD--(Amsoil, Redline- and a couple of other synthetic oils would be in that class too).--reduced cam/valve clatter, especially at start-up---reduced transmission whine, especially in 6th gear. --smoother shifting--no clutch slippage-- oil temp runs about 12 degrees cooler, checked with dip-stick temp gauge-- capable of much greater oil change intervals, with NO degradation (though I still change mine at recommended interval). With that said, I am a retired Nuclear Electronics Quality Control Superintendent and have 53 years (and half million miles) motorcycle riding experience--Harleys, Triumphs, BSA's, many BMW's (air cooled, water cooled, and oil cooled) and now my new Victory Cross Country (I like my XC BEST of all). I was sold on the advantages of true synthetic oils many years ago after having the oils analyzed from our turbine, diesel, and gasoline powered back-up generators as well as the multi fuel equipment we used. During the early years, TRUE synthetic oils were not available to the public, so, being an inquisitive person, I collected a few gallons of synthetic oil that had been drained from some of our turbine (jet powered) generators. Since it was going to be sent to our salvage yard, and was just as clear as new, I wanted to test it in one of my motorcycles--an R-75/5 air head BMW. Had no negative issues-- ran cooler, less valve clatter, slightly better fuel mileage. Since all my BMW's ran with dry clutches, slippage caused by improper oil was never a concern. That WAS my primary concern when I switched to Rotella in my XC, with wet clutch. I have noticed NO slippage even under hard acceleration and traveling through mountainous terrain. Needless to say, I Love the PURE synthetics. Most "Blends" are good quality too, including Victory's brand (not manufactured by Victory). The vast majority of oil related problems I have seen, were caused by the oil "additives".

·
Registered
173 Posts

See you last posted this in September, any adversities with the Blue Bottle full synthetic since then?

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I have used Rotella in all my motorcycles for years. It works great, no issues. It cracks me up when some people say "It's unproven, untested,Why would you want to use it" Well it's not unproven, millions of people have put many millions of miles with Rotella in their bikes with good results .The proof is in the pudding, not what some expert pedaling an inferior oil at a higher cost tells me.

Then theres people that will tell you to check out Loyds website where he has a link glorifying Vic oil as a necessity. Well I say look at his link right next to it about starting a COLD bike. "Keep the throttle cranked up so you can get that thick A$$ oil to pump up into the upper end" lmao

If you start your bike up when it's 20 degrees out your starter and your engine will thank you for having a 5w40 oil.

·
Registered
163 Posts

I really wish there was a poll "maybe there is and I havent seen it" anyways it would be great if we could all go to a page on this site and state what oilyour using andhow many miles you have run with it along with mech issues while using it. That way you could come up with conclusion on what you want to run in your bike.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts

Oh, good. Another oil thread. :)
With that said, I used Rotella T6 in my Nomad with no ill effects. I'll probably use it in my Vision (along with a car tire).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.