VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pie-in-the-sky idea, but I was wondering if anyone had thought of converting the Hard-Ball to a more stripped down/less-stuff-hanging-off-it kind of bike?

Here's why: I just completed a 2,500 mile trip, staying in motels, and was carrying minimal clothes and full complement of tools. I was pleasantly surprised how little crap I needed.

I'm thinking/wondering--what if I took off the saddlebags, put all that stuff in a bag behind me on a sissy bar where the back passenger sits when I take solo trips?

But, as I start thinking about it, I come to the conclusion that the now-exposed sides of the bike where the bags were will look stupid (open/exposed/brackets and hardware), plus the exhaust pipes will be sitting there like a running board. The idea looks dumb to me.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has done this or contemplated doing it? I like the High-Ball, BUT, the suspension on the Hard-Ball rear is much better and it has a bigger tank for touring.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
@Nuklhed I think I get where you are headed. Intresting idea. Would this qualify as a bobber style?

Or this

I always get confused when I hear the word bobber. It's hard to visualize the Hard ball without the bags!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe more like the second picture. I'd still keep the floorboards (maybe). A friend of mine tours on a heritage springer (minimalist) and that's what I'm envisioning (but can't quite figure out how to get there)!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kind of like this:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

But, what to do about the sides where the bags were. Fill in the holes with hardware?
Also, the seat is a double. Going to a single seat, how would I preserve the comfort of the seat, and cover up the rear frame that's showing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a HB, I think the ass end is one of its finest features. And those huge boxes are great, can't imagine not wanting them. I've had them off plenty of times for cleaning and maintenance and can assure you the cross bikes look terrible without them. Just my opinion, but I think what your looking for Is one of the steal frame models. Nothing wrong with having one of each!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha. I don't think it's totally feasible to get to my final idea, but it's kind of fun to think about it. Also, I like the idea of having a second one!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.